Steve Chrisman, Grant Downing VS John Force's scooter (1 Viewer)

As far as Chrisman, he seems like a nice guy. But, he insists on keeping his damn car in the stone age (Just get a lockup clutch already and be done with it!) and thus needs to rely on his competitor breaking something or smoking the tires in order to advance to round 2. Maybe that's why ESPN doesn't really give him TV time. May sound harsh, but I'm not exactly off-base here.

So instead of doing the 15th update on Force's scooter why not do an interview with him explaining why he chooses to run his car the way he does? Or at least show his qualifying run since it seems like there are quite a few times that unless one of these guys happens to be in the other lane with one of the big names or there is a short field they won't even show them run.

As far as Downing, we as the hard-core fan know him as a great chassis builder and a guy who sometimes races in the funny car class. But to Mr Average TV Viewer, I bet the biggest question was "Who the flying balls is Grant Downing?" That's why ESPN didn't give him a lot of TV time.

How are they supposed to learn that if the coverage doesn't inform/educate them about it?

I agree with what seems to be the general consensus. One spot on how many miles Force puts on his scooter is interesting. The number of spots they had just made me start ignoring the telecast and only end up watching the finals.

forcedboner.jpg

Well here is news on an up and coming sportsman racer that would love to do it professionally~~~
My daughter is in the 4th round at Denver racing her Jr Dragster. None of my kids have never gotten this far and she is thrilled. There is a good chance that she has a bye next round by virtue of her .007 RT in round three, and if that is the case she is automatically in the semi's.
This is a derail from a very hard core groupie, Her Mother!!
Wish her luck!!
BTW, she thought the coverage at Seattle was corny too!!

I do agree about the in crowd theme. Remember Vandergriff and his UPS ride, very little coverage. Another glaring example (and not just because I am from New Mexico) is Johnny Gray. He has won some rounds but he never gets any airtime. ESPN needs to get off this circus routine stuff just like when they were stirring the pot with Tony Shoe and that real short dragster guy with the Catipiller dragster. Too much drama and not enough real usable information. Just my 2 cents folks.

Holy sh!t, this bashing of Lynn and any Force fan has got to stop. :mad:

We get it - you think the coverage of Force's scooter was crazy. Sure ESPN could have shown more of other things but as I've said in the past until John Force retires or has to pull out the TV crew is going to focus on him and his team (and daughters).

Now, back to the 2 people mentioned in the title of this thread:

As far as Chrisman, he seems like a nice guy. But, he insists on keeping his damn car in the stone age (Just get a lockup clutch already and be done with it!) and thus needs to rely on his competitor breaking something or smoking the tires in order to advance to round 2. Maybe that's why ESPN doesn't really give him TV time. May sound harsh, but I'm not exactly off-base here.

As far as Downing, we as the hard-core fan know him as a great chassis builder and a guy who sometimes races in the funny car class. But to Mr Average TV Viewer, I bet the biggest question was "Who the flying balls is Grant Downing?" That's why ESPN didn't give him a lot of TV time.

Thanks for trying to have my back, Samuel!!!;) I just figured any attempt at reasoning with some people on here is just a waste of time. No matter what you say they will bash you to hell cause that is just there mentality. I decided I would just ignore them and maybe they will go away!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Well here is news on an up and coming sportsman racer that would love to do it professionally~~~
My daughter is in the 4th round at Denver racing her Jr Dragster. None of my kids have never gotten this far and she is thrilled. There is a good chance that she has a bye next round by virtue of her .007 RT in round three, and if that is the case she is automatically in the semi's.
This is a derail from a very hard core groupie, Her Mother!!
Wish her luck!!
BTW, she thought the coverage at Seattle was corny too!!

GOOD LUCK TEAM MEYER!!!!

Western Conference Finals are our little car Indy... Awesome that your daughter has gone to round 4- this race- for all you big car guys out there, has over 300 entries over 8 classes, all dragsters and all set on kill... It's like how Indy USED to be....

Hope you guys do great Lori!!

Oh, come on now, don't be knockin' Simba:p On A serious note, though, I think it is pretty damn amazing that she can bring a cat out in crowds like she does. They usually are not sociable animals. I know my cat would go ballistic!! Even though he is a big fan of Simba's!:D

My Malamute would love that cat for a snack. And then ask for another.

It has to make me wonder is ESPN really cares. Supposedly they (EPSN) already has their 2009 telecast money or at the very least a contract for it. So are they really going through the motions?

This is my first year not traveling with a professional team since I got out of college in 97. Yes I am enjoying my ass not being married to a seat on an Airbus 320 that United owns for usually 60k miles a year. Being away from the normal grind and relying on normal media to get results I really wonder how 'important' NHRA racing is to everyday media. Of course I get round by round results from Comp Plus and I appreciate the hell out of the effort. yet this is my first time to realize the lack of 'importance' every day media has for NHRA racing. I was on ESPN or ESPN2, cant remember, watching NASCAR qualifying this afternoon. Mainly I was watching because the Seifeild episode on TNN was something boring, lol. None the less, I see the qualifying show delayed for Sonoma. Was there bad weather? I don't know. My point is though if there was bad weather in Indy, the NASCAR qualifying show would have started on time. I know, atleast myself, I put drag racing on a pedestal. Yet to know a televised drag racing show can be delayed at a whim really makes me wonder how the mainstream media and the normal household really looks at drag racing.

My point is though if there was bad weather in Indy, the NASCAR qualifying show would have started on time.

There was bad weather in Indy, the coverage did start on time and the end result was 8.5 hours straight NASCAR coverage. Heck they are even showing the practice for the Nationwide races now.

Did everyoine miss Virgil's important point about teams paying NHRA for coverage. If thats true, and usually Mr. Hartman speaketh the truth, I would rather watch badmittion than they're freaking show. So its driven by the dolllar, just like everyhthing else. Whats next, MLB teams pay more for coverage of a a certain player instead for someone/something that is news worthy?

Gimme a f**king break! No wonder why its the JFR show every Saturday night!

Last edited:
Did everyoine miss Virgil's important point about teams paying NHRA for coverage. If thats true, and usually Mr. Hatman speaketh the truth, I will rather watch badmittion thsn theyr freasking show. So its driven my the odllar, just like everyhthing else Whats next, MLB teams pay more for coverage of a a certain player instead for someone/something that is news worth?

Gimme a f**king break! No wonder why iys the JFR show every Saturday night!

What the hell, can't type????????? Or spell?????????:D

that was at least interesting though....seems a little odd this far after the fact and I thought they had covered it before but the whole chicken and goats thing was funny.

Force family is the name in our sport. Right or wrong I expect some side story on them every telecast. When we get mulitple ones and/or reallllly bad ones then its overkill.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back