Sonoma Pro's ....Who's the fillers. (1 Viewer)

Super Mod

Nitro Member
From the entry lists there are some spots left from the regulars who usually qualify. Top Fuel there are only 16 entries. FC there are 15 regulars, the sixteen spot would go to either Grant Downing, Jeff Diehl, or Brian Thiel. PS has 14 regular qualifiers, 15 & 16 will be up for grabs between Bob Benza, Ben Watson, Gordie Rivera, Vinnie Deceglie and Danny Gruninger.(Yates is out according to his own blog). Who do you think will fill the Pro categories?

From the entry lists there are some spots left from the regulars who usually qualify. Top Fuel there are only 16 entries. FC there are 15 regulars, the sixteen spot would go to either Grant Downing, Jeff Diehl, or Brian Thiel. PS has 14 regular qualifiers, 15 & 16 will be up for grabs between Bob Benza, Ben Watson, Gordie Rivera, Vinnie Deceglie and Danny Gruninger.(Yates is out according to his own blog). Who do you think will fill the Pro categories?

Theil may out qualify the touring regulars in Paul Smith's car.

Randy you sure got that right! He easily could be a top half qualifier with much less carnage.

Filler.....I thought that was what creamy center of a twinkie:rolleyes:

As in "Pro Filler." Someone who likes to name drop and hang around guys like Kevin Stith.

...Ooops, I think that's a "Profiler." Isn't a Profiler someone who does the end gaps on piston rings for a living?

Diehl in the 16th slot, with a major player on the outside looking in... Bet on it.

Jeff has been in a lot of seats, including his own, in the past few years. Couple that with the fact that he can walk into one of the major player's compound and get a bit more help/ info than the other "Twinkies", and it makes for an interesting scenario....

I was going to start a thread asking "who is Brian Thiel" as I don't recall seeing his name in any previous qualifying field, and then I see he is driving for Paul Smith. That explains the great qualifying runs as Paul is a great tuner and he almost always gets his cars into the show on Sunday and often spoils someones day.:cool:

Diehl in the 16th slot, with a major player on the outside looking in... Bet on it.

Jeff has been in a lot of seats, including his own, in the past few years. Couple that with the fact that he can walk into one of the major player's compound and get a bit more help/ info than the other "Twinkies", and it makes for an interesting scenario....

Jeeeeeezzzzzzz.....:rolleyes:

Good news....according to the Brainerd entry list....Twinkies will only be served in TF.....FC and PS will be filled with enough legit contenders

Good news....according to the Brainerd entry list....Twinkies will only be served in TF.....FC and PS will be filled with enough legit contenders

Legit...Really???

Lets see this weekend we had 1 part timer qualify #1, 3 make the semi's and another make the second round.

Guess will have to ask Schumacher, Force, Dixon, Massey, Force and Cruz if their loses didn't count cuz it wasn't against legit people?

Legit...Really???

Lets see this weekend we had 1 part timer qualify #1, 3 make the semi's and another make the second round.

Guess will have to ask Schumacher, Force, Dixon, Massey, Force and Cruz if their loses didn't count cuz it wasn't against legit people?

gotta love guys like buff and strasburg and densham goin rounds and showing they can run with the big boys

Jack, you don't consider Chrisman, Strasburg, Baca & JR, etc., legit? Some big names went out early this weekend at the hands of part-timers. Just because a team doesn't have 3Mil to light a match to to run all the events, doesn't mean they are not legit.

Glad I don't bet

Was in the 16th hole until that last session, where the last car that could, did....

All in all, a nice showing for the Nitro A Go Go.com team, which is a TRULY OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET, AIN'T NO MILK ON THE TABLE THIS WEEK BABY, nitro funny car operation...

Was in the 16th hole until that last session, where the last car that could, did....

All in all, a nice showing for the Nitro A Go Go.com team, which is a TRULY OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET, AIN'T NO MILK ON THE TABLE THIS WEEK BABY, nitro funny car operation...

I'm with you Martin, Jeff and Leeza made a GREAT showing and with any luck will be able to get some funding together to come give them all a run for their money in Vegas!! With a little money they could be VERY competitive :D
Great job you guys!!

Jack,

At one time, John Force was what you call a "Twinkie", give any of those teams a four million dollar a year budget and they would be great running cars going to all the events.

The ten thousand dollar first round money, does not come close to paying the weekend bill, They do it for the love of the sport. How many touring pros would run on there own nickle?

These racers, use there own money in hope of gaining more experence and hopefully finding a major sponsor deal... however most don't find the sponsor, and end up losing everything. How many people out there are willing to take the chance and live the dream?

Face your fears, live your dreams

Paul Weiss

Jack,

At one time, John Force was what you call a "Twinkie", give any of those teams a four million dollar a year budget and they would be great running cars going to all the events.

The ten thousand dollar first round money, does not come close to paying the weekend bill, They do it for the love of the sport. How many touring pros would run on there own nickle?

These racers, use there own money in hope of gaining more experence and hopefully finding a major sponsor deal... however most don't find the sponsor, and end up losing everything. How many people out there are willing to take the chance and live the dream?

Face your fears, live your dreams

Paul Weiss

Can you imagine Paul Smith or even Jim Head with big money behind them....where do I sign up to drive for them

Jack, you don't consider Chrisman, Strasburg, Baca & JR, etc., legit? Some big names went out early this weekend at the hands of part-timers. Just because a team doesn't have 3Mil to light a match to to run all the events, doesn't mean they are not legit.

I didn't see any of those names on the Brainerd entry list. I would consider Tim Cullinan, The Greek, and Luigi as fodder.
http://www.nhra.net/2009/events/race16/eltf.html

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back