NHRA getting REALLY serious about oildowns! (1 Viewer)

It is good to see that they invested in more cleanup equipment.

I am interested as to what teams are going to do for containment. I seriously doubt teams are going to detune to avoid an oil down.

In my opinion, the new rules package is a little harsh, especially on lower budget teams. Opinions?

I would think a fine and stuff like that would be harsh for any budget, but I hope I don't sounds harsh I mean I have never been involved in a race car. But I know history says otherwise but I would have thought a lower budget team would be less likely to have oildowns. I mean it can happen to anyone but kicking the rods out blowing an engine and getting oil everywhere but inside your engine does not sound like a good way to save money when on a budget.

1000 ft racing, still breaking lots of parts. Can someone explain why Double A's plan to slow the cars down and reduced breakage still hasn't been implemented? Would seem to cure a lot of problems? :confused:

NHRA does a 180 and imposes stiff rules in all categories. Teams get one freebie (credit) at the beginning of the season and no further credits for being good boys and girls. In my opinion, the new rules package is a little harsh, Opinions?

Jim you're right it's more than a little harsh, it's outrageous. And I must've missed the part about one freebie??

The sixth paragraph starts out..." First violation" $1000 fine – loss of five points – loss of ET and speed – times voided for qualifying position – qualifying performance points – run order – and national records. So pretty much it's like to run never took place.

On one hand Mr. light says oil downs are a part of it - then he turns around and makes this ruling???

My opinion you ask:
Once again NHRA finds a way to line their pockets with racers money, and to artificially alter the outcome of the season championship.

My opinion you ask:
Once again NHRA finds a way to line their pockets with racers money, and to artificially alter the outcome of the season championship.

I have to ask.... How does this ruling artificially alter the outcome of the season championship if everybody is playing by the same rules???

It says" times and mph voided". So if you set and backup a record, you are not awarded the points for it if you oil down on both passes. Those bonus points could make the difference in a tight championship season.

My opinion....Fines - okay....Points - okay.....Voiding the times in qualifying sucks. Plus I think if you can have a string of clean runs you should be rewarded with a freebie. Say every 10 consecutive clean runs, you get a freebie. I'd hate to see this cost someone a championship. I mean, let's say Spencer Massey uses up his one freebie in Gainesville because his car has some kind of timing malfunction and grenades an engine. His freebie for the year is gone. Then he goes the rest of the year clean and going into Vegas-2 he is 19 points behind Dixon for 1st place. He struggles all weekend and is sitting 18th going into the last session and makes it in on the last shot but kicks a rod in the lights. You're telling me he doesn't deserve to have another freebie?

If you're gonna punish oildowns harshly, then you need to reward those who can keep clean.

Big deal....Im sorry to say but oil downs aren't whats keeping fans out of the seats. The NHRA again says they are doing this to improve the experience for the fans. Guess what, 15 car fields is what keeps butts outta seats. Its NHRA that is killing NHRA. Lower the damn ticket prices. 20+ years of going to multiple national events per year has now stopped. I cant afford it!!!! Cut me a break here NHRA. Hook us veterans up with a discount or offer some type of incentive! Im done!

I'll admit, up front, that I don't even pretend to know what the best solution for the fuel classes is, but this I do know. The shows are anti-climatic. The oil downs are numerous and cause the show to never live up to it's anticipation. Whether watching it live, or on the tube, it's nearly a joke in attempted execution. All the down time during clean-up empties the stands. The show looks it's best when edited for playback after the event. I also believe that since potential seat customers at these events know the fuel shows aren't full fields (no drama during qualifying), and that a large percentage of the runs will be aborted it affects NHRA's ability to attract people to the events. There are other factors...seat prices, economic conditions, and the high cost of travel that play heavily in to the diminishing attendance levels. Give me 24 Pro Stockers trying to squeeze in to 16 positions...all within a few hundredths of a second of each other, and you've got a show for the fans.

Just go for the Pro Stock show and consider whatever you get from the fuel classes as 'value-added'. ;)

I'm much more of a realist than optimist, but only 1 post here seems to notice that not only ISNT the NHRA lining their pockets with this--they are spending more money having more crew + equipment on the ready. So NHRA sees there is a problem-responds to it by putting penilties in place to discourage it--AND puts the people + tools in place to fix it if it does happen. Atta boy in my book-they are listening to the fans-and not just making it the racers problem-have we turned a corner here?

One thing is for sure, they have to figure out a way to drastically reduce the Nitro Puking. It's killing their classes and likewise the prospect in event attendance.

I would like to see NHRA reverse the class run order on Sundays. That way the two Nitro classes only screw up the lanes for themselves, not the other Pro classes that currently follow them. It's a shame when there's only one good lane for the Pro Stock cars because one lane continually gets greased by the grenade classes....

I'll admit, up front, that I don't even pretend to know what the best solution for the fuel classes is, but this I do know. The shows are anti-climatic. The oil downs are numerous and cause the show to never live up to it's anticipation. Whether watching it live, or on the tube, it's nearly a joke in attempted execution. All the down time during clean-up empties the stands. The show looks it's best when edited for playback after the event. I also believe that since potential seat customers at these events know the fuel shows aren't full fields (no drama during qualifying), and that a large percentage of the runs will be aborted it affects NHRA's ability to attract people to the events. There are other factors...seat prices, economic conditions, and the high cost of travel that play heavily in to the diminishing attendance levels. Give me 24 Pro Stockers trying to squeeze in to 16 positions...all within a few hundredths of a second of each other, and you've got a show for the fans.

Just go for the Pro Stock show and consider whatever you get from the fuel classes as 'value-added'. ;)
I would have to disagree with about 99% of your view.

I agree that oil downs are not keeping people away from the track. I think what is trying to be accomplished here is 2 fold:

1. NHRA is trying to prevent 1st time/casual fans from leaving early like Vegas 2 last year, and then telling others what a crappy time they had. They want these people to have as good an experience as possible and come back, and bring friends.

2. Another cog in the continual evolution of speeding up the show to get it done as quickly as possible on Sundays. The quicker it is over, the more action there seems like there is on the track, the more TV friendly it is and the more spectator friendly it is because they are getting home at a reasonable hour on Sunday before going to work on Monday.

GREAT! I'm glad they are getting tough. I am way tired of spending 12 hours at the track for a 5 hour qualifying show!

GREAT! I'm glad they are getting tough. I am way tired of spending 12 hours at the track for a 5 hour qualifying show!

Personally, I wish it WAS 12 hours of qualifying. 5 hours is like attending a nascar race (and yes I finally went to one, over WAY too fast for the Amount of Admission).

nhra is spending more money on clean up........in a 2010 of dimished profits,
what pool of money did this come from? what else is now suffering to
prop-up the clean-up effort?

i thought pit access to drivers and teams was a huge nhra selling point?
i realize not all pro pits are directly behind bleachers (and they should be),
but what a better time to stretch the legs and get off the bleacher butt
than during a nice long oil down / clean up........that's been my m.o. forever.
the sunday turn-a-rounds are now so quick there is barely any time between
rounds for this 'important' fan interaction.
“Having six and seven-hour race days on a Sunday for somebody who is bringing their family to the race is too long.
.........really?, since when.......folks have packed the stands at major drag races for decades,
only lately they seem to be falling off.......and it's because of long days
and oildowns?.......i don't think so.

I’m looking at it, as a crew chief who is confident in my ability to tune the engine properly and not have it blow up.”
........and win races?

be prepared to see underside of frames cupped in sheeting of some sort
to contain the motor from falling onto the track.........but then expect a
new ruling concerning ground effect advantages gained from
this sheeting :rolleyes:

think of it this way - when nhra's #1 superstar is not a grandpa, then maybe
things will have started to change; in the meantime, it's still us middle-aged
veterans buying the same ticket every year, and some of us less than
we used to because 'the show', in our eyes is of less quality.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back