New A/FC (1 Viewer)

Apples to apples then. If it were truly with no restrictions then the alky FC teams would be able to run the PSI "C" supercharger at 125% over (like those run in outlaw pro mod cars) and upwards of 70 pounds of boost. Right now the NHRA legal TA/FC's are required to run the smaller PSI "D" supercharger (18% smaller swept volume) at 92% overdrive producing only around mid 40's for boost. Since the current NHRA National Record is Sean Bellemeur at 5.36 and Annie Whitely at 276 miles per hour with the smaller "D" rotor at 92% overdrive, my best guess would be mid 5-teens at 285 with a "C" at 125%.
Randy what’s your thoughts if A/F was to run 100% nitro in funny car

I heard that if you could run an A/FD on 100% it would go 4's at....294??? So what is the difference between F/C and T/AD? Say .3 and 12 MPH, more or less? I'd guess injected nitro F/C would go a tad bit quicker than alky version if on 100%, sez me with zero nitro experience. heh

The one thing I learned about running nitro when I was with The Invader is the ignition timing required to light the mixture.
Glenn typically ran somewhere between 80% to 90% nitro.
He said if we wanted to go fast, to dial in 70°!
But, myself and the crew chief would set it with 62° and not tell Glenn.
The best run made when I was still with the team was 6.22 @ 205 at Tulsa.
Our driver had to lift at 1000’ because Glenn made us take 50 pounds off the nose, and it was carrying the front end.

The one thing I learned about running nitro when I was with The Invader is the ignition timing required to light the mixture.
Glenn typically ran somewhere between 80% to 90% nitro.
He said if we wanted to go fast, to dial in 70°!
But, myself and the crew chief would set it with 62° and not tell Glenn.
The best run made when I was still with the team was 6.22 @ 205 at Tulsa.
Our driver had to lift at 1000’ because Glenn made us take 50 pounds off the nose, and it was carrying the front end.
Probably see lots of melted aluminum and messed up oil pans in the trash cans in the pits I suppose. Just kidding, of course.

I don't have enough injected nitro at 100% experience to say.
thanks Randy, I’ll see if my brother can give me an est on the dragster to use for comparison

So remember, you can't compare an A/Fuel FC on 100% to the blown alky version. They will always be apples to oranges. Parity is paramount for the two combos to compete together, as in TAD. Having said that, it would be interesting to see what 100% would do for us vs. the 95% we're allowed right now. I'm thinking once it's tuned for that, it would be faster, but I'll ask Anthony what he thinks.

So remember, you can't compare an A/Fuel FC on 100% to the blown alky version. They will always be apples to oranges. Parity is paramount for the two combos to compete together, as in TAD. Having said that, it would be interesting to see what 100% would do for us vs. the 95% we're allowed right now. I'm thinking once it's tuned for that, it would be faster, but I'll ask Anthony what he thinks.
Just a curious question, thanks for the reply

Steele ran 5.73 today at Bowling Green. If he can at least duplicate that at Indy with 18 entries odds are he will qualify. Not sure what Tommy Johnson Jr. ran in testing.

Excited to see how things play out with 2 of them in Indy. If Steele can get the back half worked out, it's really going to run good.

I know it’s not realistic but part of me wants to see a Brooks Brown/Junkyard Ed/ Cristen Powell stunner type of run. Oh the drama that would cause. 😄

Last edited:
A couple of nice looking cars.

Attachments

• IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
As far as I know, these are the current "records" for each combo.

TAFC
5.352 - 03/17/19 - Sean Bellemeur - Gainesville, FL
276.18 - 03/07/20 - Ann Marie Whiteley - Gainesville, FL

AFC
5.681 - 09/1/2023 - Mick Steele - Indianapolis, IN
234.90 - 08/29/2023 - Mick Steele - Bowling Green, KY

Hey guys, I want to thank everyone who wished me luck this past weekend! And it was great to meet you Chris Davis! All I can say is, Indy is a marathon, and fielding a car is a whole lot different than hanging out in the Top Eliminator Club all weekend, LOL. Looking back, I have to ask myself if it really happened, it's kind of surreal. That may sound a bit dramatic, but for me, who has been coming to Indy since my dad ran A/A when I was a little kid, it was just an awesome experience. And to have Tommy Johnson Jr shaking this thing down so I can eventually start making hits, is just a blessing. Not sure if many of you know who Anthony Dicero is, but he's my crew chief and the one who put this car together for me. Anthony has licensed over 30 A/FD drivers, including the Greek's granddaughter, Krista Baldwin, who was a huge help all weekend long.
To wrap this up, and to address Randy's post, we will certainly figure out the combo. We went 5.73 dropping holes pretty much from half track on. We just need to figure out what it wants from that point to the stripe. BTW, that was our 2nd run to the finish line, and less than 10 hits overall! I believe we'll see more A/Fuel cars in TAFC next year. Bartone has one almost done, although I think they're going to test it and not commit to switching anytime soon. My goal is to attract new blood, not to get blower guys to convert. Finally, thank you Ray Ghio Jr. for the encouragement, and I'll be sending prayers your way as you fight the fight!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back