They Don't Like the Name Nostalgia (1 Viewer)

But you can see them run at several national events this year;

Bristol seems way out of left field. Those cars have never run this far east have they? Will be interested to see what the car count looks like. I'm certainly not complaining though, never thought I'd see those cars at my home race

Bristol seems way out of left field. Those cars have never run this far east have they? Will be interested to see what the car count looks like. I'm certainly not complaining though, never thought I'd see those cars at my home race
They are running Bowling Green as well. Makes more sense to do two events out East, then just one and then turn around and drive back. There may be a Funny Car Chaos at Cordova for some to hit as well.

They are running Bowling Green as well. Makes more sense to do two events out East, then just one and then turn around and drive back. There may be a Funny Car Chaos at Cordova for some to hit as well.
NHRR is the same weekend as the Cordova Chaos race.

“Legends” to me would be tribute Cars. i’m not big on calling this group Legends. They’re still pretty cool though running mid to high 5 second times in a real quarter mile. None the less I’m glad to see them get the exposure on the big show

I've never liked the "Nostalgia" name. It's hard to get young people these days interested in a sport with the Nostalgia name in the title. Legends is just as bad in my opinion. I've always just called them "Nitro Funny Cars" because that's what they are. Funny Car Chaos is a great name for a racing series.

Last edited:
I've never liked the "Nostalgia" name. It's hard to get young people these days interested in a sport with the Nostalgia name in the title. Legends is just as bad in my opinion. I've always just called them "Nitro Funny Cars" because that's what they are. Funny Car Chaos is a great name for a racing series.
Why do you feel that young people aren't interested in a sport with the Nostalgia name in the title?

Why do you feel that young people aren't interested in a sport with the Nostalgia name in the title?
Because most young people today don't give a rats ass about "the old days" or anything that happened before they were born. At least that's been my impression anyway. It's hard enough as it is to get young people to attend a modern drag race these days. If we struggle to get today's young people to watch Ron Capps make a lap in his modern big show car, (for example) then why would we think young people should enjoy watching a funny car that is 30 years older than they are? There are too many modern things in this world today for a young person to be interested in, they don't have time for old race cars. Now, you and I both know a nostalgia car today is basically a big show car with an older body style, a smaller blower, and a smaller fuel pump..... and maybe one less magneto. We both know just how bad ass nostalgia cars are today... but that's because we are both drag racing junkies. How could a young person today possibly know that a nostalgia car is a bad ass modern race car made to look old? Sure, there are exceptions, but calling a racing series "Nostalgia" or "legends" does NOT pique the interest of a millennial. It's not 1977 anymore..... they have too many other modern things on their mind to be bothered with antiques. In my opinion, if they simply dropped the term "Nostalgia" (or Legends) when advertising a funny car race and just called them "Nitro Funny Cars" or "AA/FC" you'd sell more tickets and have more spectators in the stands. At least potential spectators who hear (see) those advertisements won't automatically think it's a race featuring museum pieces.

And for the record, in case you're wondering: I'm 49 years old and I love the history of drag racing more than today's drag racing, and I have worked on several different nostalgia funny cars in the past..... Nostalgia funny cars are my favorite category in all of drag racing..... but I hate the name.

Last edited:
That wasn't intended to be an attack nor to be argumentitive. Just wanted some clarity on your position.

What you state is no different than any other activity. I think the youth cannot make the connection between themselves and the multi-million dollar operations they see at the big show events. But a solution that is tried and trued is to get them involved at the grassroots level. To quote Ben Franklin, "Tell (show) me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

Much of these racers (including myself) are generationally invovled; we've raced with our grandparents, parents, kids and grandkids. Along the way, we've brought friends and their freinds. Sometimes all they need is a seed planted and some encouragement.

As for me, I'm 58 and was born into this. Went away for 20 years and came back on my own. My dad and a group of friends race our own car and always open to welcome more. I am not a fan of the modern day Pro Mod style "Legends:" funny car, but that doesn't mean I won't support my freinds who race in the class.

Legends is a nice try, but doesn't hit the mark. The drivers are not legends, and the cars are not either. If they were all tribute cars, with, say, JJ, Blue Max, Candies and Hughes, etc. paint jobs, then maybe Legends would work. I don't have the answer, but there has got to be a better descriptor than Legends. The NFL has done well with Thowback uniforms - maybe Throwback Nitro or something??????

I’m a fan of Legends instead of Nostalgia, speaking as an elder millennial. Throwbacks is worse than Nostalgia tbh (sorry Chris).
To me you don’t want a name that evokes going backwards. Legends sounds like it hints at the past but also gives a sense that these are mighty machines that had a reputation.

But a bigger question, people who are in their fifties now and generating high enough income to run these cars were going to drag strips as kids in the eighties. Do we need to be pushing ‘Nostalgia’ or ‘Legends’ into this era to renew the interest?

How about Fuel Coupes? No one except us remembers that this was actually a class in the 1950's...... I really like how the Pro Mod events are held. Seems to be a ton of cars & lotsa spectators. I think Funny Car Chaos is kinda based on that & is a step in the right direction, even if is is 1/8 mile.

Why not just AA/FC ? Thats what they are,and not to be confused with the big show AA/FC.
Aren't the big show fuel coupes designated F/C? But, I can see where a newcomer might be confused.
I was trying to go to nhra.com to verify but Firefox wouldn't let me. Something about the website's certificate possibly being expired.

I did not take your question as negative. Sorry if you thought my answer was argumentative...
Not at all, we're all good. Sometimes my attempt to further dialog is construed in a negative way and I wanted to be clear.

While some of the guys involved are legends in the sport, it just doesn't sound adequate enough. I think I would prefer the term "Legacy Funny Cars" if you had to label them to be distinctly different. But I like AA/FC too.

BTW, at the National events, they will only be running to 1000'. All Heritage events will be 1/4 mile.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back