"Let’s keep the Nostalgia in Nostalgia" (1 Viewer)

qtermile14

Nitro Member
I like what Ron had to say in the Competition Plus article about the Nostalgia Funny Cars. Like Ron, I do not want to see them to start evolving into aerodynamic cars like today's in the Big Show. I will lose interested in the Nostalgia cars if they evolve like Ron is afraid they will. I hope the owners are reading this, and realize what some are trying to do and stop it. Also, I hope the NHRA looks at this, and monitors it closer. Maybe they need a Nostalgia Liaison, if they do not already have one, like they have for the Nitro cars in the Big Show

RON CAPPS ON AA/FC: "LET?S KEEP THE NOSTALGIA IN NOSTALGIA"

I agree 100% Mike. Don't let them go like the PRO/MOD class. They lost sight of what made them so popular...the variety of older bodies.

Pro/Mod started goin to the aero bodies to get quicker, but lost their identity.
They were quick enough before. Now some are just a P/S on steriods :(

I love the nostalgia movement and it's growing nicely, don't mess it up, PLEASE.

Ron is right in more ways than one. Problems with the nostalgia scene is effecting all classes to the point that car counts are dwindling. Especially in the Heritage Series.

We run a stock bodied '57 Chevy in A/GS and are having to run against McAmis Pro Mod style cars. I've complained to NHRA, but was told that because we run in a index class it shouldn't matter. Recently, some of the competition is running ignition controlled devices, GPS systems, and who knows what else inspite of the NHRA rules saying otherwise. So we choose not to run the Heritage Series.

My feeling is that if the Heritage Series fails, it won't be because the racers didn't support it, it is becasue NHRA dosen't support it.

Ron is right in more ways than one. Problems with the nostalgia scene is effecting all classes to the point that car counts are dwindling. Especially in the Heritage Series.

We run a stock bodied '57 Chevy in A/GS and are having to run against McAmis Pro Mod style cars. I've complained to NHRA, but was told that because we run in a index class it shouldn't matter. Recently, some of the competition is running ignition controlled devices, GPS systems, and who knows what else inspite of the NHRA rules saying otherwise. So we choose not to run the Heritage Series.

My feeling is that if the Heritage Series fails, it won't be because the racers didn't support it, it is becasue NHRA dosen't support it.

You tell 'em Gino....LOL

I'm with you Gino!

Nostalgia is just that. it seems pretty easy to reword the rules, but Glendale couldn't describe a brown paper bag if they had to!

I am going to disagree with Ron, and most of the others that are looking at the nostalgia movement in their own little view finder rather than the whole picture. Ron's position, like a lot of others, is that "this is the way I see it and everyone else should conform to my view".

Back in the day when funny cars started, just about anything would show up at the strip. Big Al was an all fiberglass flip top body 34 Ford sedan with an Allison motor. Sounds like a funny car to me. There were 64 Chevy IIs, 64 and 65 Mustangs, Corvairs, 58 to 64 Vettes, and jeeps. Some of these bodies resembled the originals, some were highly modified, some were steel and some were all fiberglass. Al Vanderwounde was looking at the world through a different set of lenses when he created his great looking funny cars. How about the Wonderwagon lowrider with all the aero mods? Or the Powers Corvette? All the cars with the tops taken off? There were twin engined cars, cars with 2 blowers, small motors and big motors, front motored and rear motored, flip up in the rear, four wheel drive, etc, etc.

Some other issues:
Spill Plates - when installed on a car with a wide "greenhouse" they take away downforce. The air your spoiler catches does not come over the roof of the car, it comes from the sides.

Computers - some need them, they are a crutch. I have not worked on a nostalgia car that has had a computer. It is more fun without them. But why should I care if the car in the other lane has one?

Purses - back in the day most shows were booked in events and there was a set level of pay by the amount of fans you could draw. Today, because of many who could only get bookings by running cheap have set the standards for your open shows. Why would anyone run for $350.00 to $500.00 a run? Do you feel you are only worth that much? DRO brags about a $23,000.00 purse for an 8 car open show. That is a pathetic amount and they should be embarassed for offering so little considering the cost to run one of these cars.

Rules - NHRA is tightening the rules for the cars because of the racers insistance on running quicker and faster all the time. With the AA/FD they tried to control the performance with performance equipment rules but the racers kept going faster until drivers were getting hurt. With the funny cars they just keep adding safety equipment that keeps driving up the cost of racing and is making the cars more like the "big show" cars. If the performance levels were kept at 5.90 plus, the rules would have stayed the same and costs to run these cars would not be escalating.

Bodies - Why should you care what year or shape of body the other teams are running? If a jeep can run 244 mph, do you think the aero is really that important? Down force in the big show cars allow them to apply more clutch sooner with the lock up fingers. The starting line limits the amount of clutch weight you can apply in a non lock up clutch, so where does the aero come into play with these cars? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and variety is the spice of life. If a bat mobile car draws more fans then what does it hurt if a team runs one? My son Richard's 55 Bel Air is a real crowd pleaser where ever it runs, but it isn't "legal" by the nostalgia body police. But does that stop him from getting paid to run it when he has an opening in his schedule? And he gets a lot more than what these cars in an open show are earning.

These are my personal views based on my being a spectator, participant, and at times promoter of this type of vehicle. Your views and opinions may vary, and I respect that. I won't tell you what your car should look like, and I would appreciate if you didn't try to dictate to me how mine should look.

Wouldn't it just make sence to make the rules based off the simple statements:

Nostalgia FC refers to the class of NHRA Funnycar being raced between the years of 19XX and 19XX. Your entry cannot utilize any technology that was not available to a race team between the years of 19xx and 19xx.

Then pull out the rule book from 19xx to 19xx and race according to those rules / specs. All parts must either be from 19xx to 19xx or remanufactured to replicate parts from 19xx to 19xx.

I know there must be some bending of the rules for safety, but that seems like a proper goal for a nostalgia series.

Nick - true nostalgia cars are built/resurrected by HAMB members and they run them for their fun and enjoyment at HAMB events. They are not building new recreations with new equipment and calling them nostalgia.

I get confused by definitions in "factual reporting" by ezines. I am considered a "former" racer by an "editor" when in fact I ran a nitro funny car last night, another last weekend, will this coming weekend and I am promoting an event on September 11 that will pay the participants quite a bit more than the bragged about DRO purse. We won't even consider that I entered a TF car at a national event this year.

The down economy is an easy excuse for any shortcomings we may have. But I see many individuals and companies that are doing quite well in this down economy, and they are the ones I like to hang around. I feel the results of the event I am promoting will be based upon the product presented and the business plan that I am employing, not the "down economy". It is a local event, promoted locally with the help of many local businesses.

Even though the main attractions are cars with older bodies, it is not being billed as a "nostalgia event" nor as a racing event, but as a show. There is a 2 out of 3 grudge match between two highly funded local outlaw 10.5 cars, two yankee Mustang nitro funny cars invading the south who's honor will be defended by a 55 Chevy nitro funny car and a southern 77 trans am alcohol car with a screw blower, and a little pop from a jet funny car. We will have some type of fan involvement that will start at the business establishments that are supporting the event.

So my opinion, if you want to call yourself nostalgia, build period correct cars that are realistic right down to the performance. Or build late model race cars but find promoters willing to pay what you are worth. And I guess if you are willing to run for those that won't pay a proper purse you fit their saying of "you can't be a victim if you volunteer".

Virgil, you seem to have some insightful answers.
Here are a couple questions for you. What is your show paying per car (or per run).
Are there sponsors involved in guaranteeing the purse, or is it completely coming out of the gate. Are you taking the risks (IE renting the track and doing the leg work) or are you being paid by the track and it is up to them to poromte the event.
Is the actual complete show based on the four funny cars, two 10.5 cars and a jet

Dean Murdoch
SpeedZonemagazine.com

I really believed nostalgia rules were supposed to follow the spirit of days gone by. As soon as people starting throwing the check book, wallet and a
2nd mortgage at their car, then the "spirit" was squashed. When I was going to build a new car 6 years ago I was going to have a copy of my dad's old 1971 Mike Kase altered, then I looked around at the rest of the cars in my class and I realized that most cars looked like they were build in the 80's or newer. Only thing nostalgic was the front engine dragsters and most didn't even look like anything from the 60-70's....

I agree JR.
In 2004 I was crewing on a local nostalgia dragster team. N/FC was starting to take off. In the spirit, the team owner started building a Monza F/C kinda like the Sundance car.
But then, lots of billet parts, fancy transporters, creative license/rules interpretation, and big crews started permeating the class. It was clear that N/FC was not going to be grassroots anymore.

I love the class, but I almost feel like fan support has peaked already because they also see the escalation.

Virgil, you seem to have some insightful answers.
Here are a couple questions for you. What is your show paying per car (or per run).
Are there sponsors involved in guaranteeing the purse, or is it completely coming out of the gate. Are you taking the risks (IE renting the track and doing the leg work) or are you being paid by the track and it is up to them to poromte the event.
Is the actual complete show based on the four funny cars, two 10.5 cars and a jet.

Dean Murdoch
SpeedZonemagazine.com

When I promote an event I either lease the track or co-produce with the track as I am in this case. The income from each ticket is split in a predetermined percentage between us. I guarantee all the fees for the booked in show cars from my share, the track pays their expenses and runs their bracket programs themselves, if they want a bracket program that day, out of their share. We both do pre race promotions as it benefits both of us. Sponsor money is split the same way, mostly used for pre race promotions.

The main show will start at 7:30 and be over by 10:30 at the latest. The show is as you describe along with a "best pair of Daisey Dukes" contest with entrants coming from local establishments. Only the finals of the bracket program, if there is one, will be ran during the show.

All cars are booked in and their renumeration is between us, not the public. But be assured that they are not "volunteers" or "victims" as some promotors want to call their entrants. I have used this method for a long time with the tracks, participants and myself coming away satisfied with our rewards.

We are talking about future events and a couple of them may be "Old Time Drag Races" will authetic old cars, not reproductions calling themselves "nostalgia".

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back