Nostalgia TF (1 Viewer)

Dan Horan's Top Fueler today, with Dan Horan Jr. driving from this summer.

Horan-TF-DH.jpg

That car was built by Rooman and he did his best to preserve as much of the old look as possible and still be competitive. Same for Brendan Murry.

Imagine that car with larger tires and those wings missing

One of my favorite classes in Drag Racing. No frills, stark, purpose build race cars. The best viewing of these cars are at the finish line...they are running on about 6 inches of tire width and the engine is turning well over 10,000 rpm (this is a blown fuel motor we're talking about). They pop harder than the Funny Cars (my guess due to the smaller displacement and similar pump volume as the FCs). 3-4ft tall headers flames are a guarantee on almost every car at night. I do agree that they would look better if the drivers sat low, slingshot style, and the rear tire tops taller than the cowl. Denver Schutz and the Mr. Boston car driven by Howard Haight still have low driver positions. Personally I dig the canards in front of the tires...it makes them look like modern, functioning race cars. The car counts have declined in the last 5 years, but I really hope there are racers out there that will build some new ones. For the record Tony Bartone is the quickest & fastest with the 5.566 at last year's CHRR (Jack Harris ran a 5.568 in 2008). In testing this year Bartone reportedly ran a 5.54 @ 274...many drivers have been quoted that these are the scariest cars to drive in Drag Racing. Judge for yourself:

[vbtube]Y19unNT2gXw[/vbtube]

Nostalgia is an unfortunate term for these cars...I like to think of them as a class that uses an old framework of rules to keep costs down.

Last edited:
Now THAT is a beautiful-looking race car! Why nearly all of the new ones need to look so out-of-whack-ugly is beyond me. The whole appeal to nostalgia racing is the aesthetic lure, so why start with a big, tall chassis and tiny rear tires? I went to some of the original Goodguys events years ago and remember many "real" vintage cars (with safety changes) running and putting on a great show! I agree with the general consensus here that funny cars and fuelers need to look "right" in order to maintain there identity as nostalgic. Otherwise it's just another racing series.

One of my faves of the modern breed ... although mostly just makes exhibition runs.

AA-FD.jpg

Wow... How cool is that. I rest my case.

I would rather watch this car running 6.20s than the newstalgia cars going 5.60s.

I think the Saturday night Nitro series at Famosa this year was a great deal. Maybe some cars like this will come out and run next year.

Yes that's a picture of it when I had down at Bruce Dyda's (DRE) Dyda Race Engineering next to Don Long's place to add some stuff on it and make some adjustments. Also was down there to drop it by NHRA headquarters in Glendora to have a tag put on it. Had to bring it stripped down for the work to be done. One of many pictures. ;):)

Now you know a little about me, here's something about Jay, at web-link:

Person of the Week: Jay Eshbach ;):)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back