Nostalgia TF (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Ok, I know tons of folks are into the TF cars at CHRR and at the other races all over the country, but for me it does nothing for me. Don't get me wrong these guys and teams are doing great things within the rules that are set for them, but with all the wings and such, to me , they are not appealing. I understand they have to have those on them to safely race, but for me the nostalgia FC are more appealing. Go ahead, start flaming away, but isn't nostalgia suppossed to be about "how it used to be". Yes I know the old way was sometimes not so safe, but with modern safety equiptment I would think guidelines could be set to have period correct TF cars run and put on a good show. The argument stays the same, one cannot tell the difference from 300 mph to 325mph as well as 200 mph to 250 mph. To be honest I do not know how quick or fast these cars are going right now, but is it not supposed to be racing like it used to be? Also I know as long as you put 2 cars together, one another is always going to try and be the fastest. Then you end up with what you have now.

I never want to put down someone's racing efforts. Racing anything takes hard work and commitment, but an original slingshot dragster as campaigned in the late 60's to early 70's looks like a piece of art compared to the newstalgia diggers. Upright driver position and multi element wings make a completely different race car. Oh we'll it is what it is.

I agree Jim. Same thing with many of the nostalgia funny cars that do not resemble anything like the 70's bodies they're supposed to represent.

....... but isn't nostalgia supposed to be about "how it used to be"......
That is how the current NT/F cars started out 20 years ago, but that was never the intent of the current "Classic" Nitro F/Cs...
Those rules were designed to accommodate a method to burn Nitro on a limited budget and not have to purchase new "widgets" every season...
The F/C class also had the advantage to know how problems that caused the cost of operating a T/F car to increase could be avoided...
The fact that there are over 125 cars built since 2005 show that the concept and rules are correct...
NHRA got involved with several new rules that increased the costs,but did nothing to help the class...
Both of these type of cars do bring Nitro to the "grass roots" tracks that can't afford to book the big show cars -- we run about 15 F/C events a season...

As a T/F owner in the 60s&70s, I do agree that the "look" of current NT/F cars is sad...

It's amazing how fast the NTF cars can run, but my biggest gripe is the way the drivers sit so high, to me they look like they're sitting higher than a FC or altered chassis. There are a few that are bad-arse looking. As far as the NFCs go, I really dig this class. This is a big debate on another board, but to me, I'm more excited that there's a class for blown nitro that while not perfect, is a much more affordable way to competitively run a fuel FC. More important than if a car looks EXACTLY like it did in '76. And if the rules stay the same, I think you'll see even more cars built, vs. a handful of guys starting to run 5.20s and grenading stuff.

Jim, the quickest T/F car is Jack Harris at 5.566, Tony Bartone has run this quick and Bartone has the fastest speed at 274mph. Funny cars, John Hale at 5.589 and Jason Rupert 262mph

Jerry, you coming visit at CHRR?

The current style of N/TF car you speak of is dieing. There are not that many racing anymore, so in that regard, you can be glad.

I would have loved to be around in the 60's / 70's at Lions or OCIR or Pomona or San Fernando watching 50, 60+ slingshots racing all night.

It's amazing how fast the NTF cars can run, but my biggest gripe is the way the drivers sit so high, to me they look like they're sitting higher than a FC.

I didn't know what you were talking about but I google image searched and youre right they look odd. What is the purpose of sitting so high?

Thanks Guys, I'm not alone. No I did not want to offend anyone's racing effort what so ever.

The current style of N/TF car you speak of is dieing. There are not that many racing anymore, so in that regard, you can be glad.

Don't give up on the current crop of N/TF, as always there are some teams sitting and only 15 AA/FD's pre-entered for the 21st California Hot Rod Reunion and 37 AA/Funny Cars pre-entered. This is the same issue we all lived thru in the early 70's when building and racing Funny Cars was the new way to make a living, at the time Drag News and National Dragster bemoaned the demise of Top Fuel, however that did not happen - it was a correction and Top Fuel is still here and N/TF is not going away.

The majority of the current crop of Top Fuelers in Heritage-style racing sit too high for my liking - and I saw the originals racing, pre-Garlits redesign! If you make it to the Reunion this weekend, enjoy the nitro show, the 7.0 Pro cars, the Cacklefest and the celebration of our sport - the way it is today.

The Garlits and NHRA Museum are packet to the Fire Exits with the originals, this is what we race today, a way for new and old racers to burn nitro passing on the tradition, not a recreation of the Golden Days, these are the Golden Days.

Top Fuel Tricky Tipster

Funny Car Tipsy Trickster

I have to agree that those late 60s-early 70s AA/FDs were the sexiest era of dragster design ever. I'm not as fond of the current design, but they do keep the spirit of the front engine car alive. Better yet is that you don't see mega-dollar multi-car teams, and though some teams have more success than others you don't know who is going to win on any given race day.

Truthfully, the the only thing I don't like on the new FEDs is how high they sit. Other than that there are some pretty cool dragsters out there.

Truthfully, the the only thing I don't like on the new FEDs is how high they sit. Other than that there are some pretty cool dragsters out there.

One of the coolest; Heritage Series Points leader Adam Sorokin with Chevy Power, second generation Top Fuel Driver!

MK_AdamSorokin-2488.jpg

Sorokin_done_JB.jpg

ASorokin-BL.jpg

I don't know.. I have seen Orange Crate, Telstar, and some others around here run several times, and I enjoy watching them. They do burn nitro and have header flames afterall. :D

There really is no such thing as Nostalgia Top Fuel. Newstalgia maybe.

When the class first started there were some real ones, like Dan Horan.

However, in an effort to :keep them slow" they implemented the 12 inch tire. With this not being enough tire, it prompted all of those gross looking big canard wings in front of the rear tires.

One year at Goodguys in Pomona, Garlits had one of snakes cars in his display. It looked so right. Then I realized it had the right size tires on it, that was why.

But on the boards where these NTF guys post, they all like those little tires.

Next the phone booth cages, where the driver is practically standing up in the car so he can see over the injector hat. The guys posted that now they run the real narrow front ends like modern TF, so they can't see the front end anymore, so they now have to see over top of the motor.

So the phone booth and little tires is what makes those cars look so bad.

Dave Tuttle has actually build a real Nostalgia TF car that is legal and looks right. Double loop- cage and all.No one is running one yet.

I say, give them a choice, canard wings and small tires, or larger tires and no wings. Have a maximum distance from the top of the rear tires to the top of the drivers helmet when seated in the car. End of phone booth.

In...69, 70 or 71 (not sure about the date) we raised our cage up so the driver could see and streched the wheel base quite a bit. That was a trend that was developing along with longer cars. Obviously when everyone went to the rear engined cars it died on the vine. Like most of the posters on here I much prefer the looks of the lower cages but they are sure hard to see out of.

an original slingshot dragster as campaigned in the late 60's to early 70's looks like a piece of art

I have to agree that those late 60s-early 70s AA/FDs were the sexiest era of dragster design ever.

not a religious person, but a big amen to that my nitro brothers
nothing before or since has said "I'm here to go from A to B" with fewer words

When the class first started there were some real ones, like Dan Horan.

Dave Tuttle has actually build a real Nostalgia TF car that is legal and looks right. Double loop- cage and all.No one is running one yet.

Both of these guys were a great read back in the Nitronic Header Flame days....

With regards to nostalgia, that ship has sailed. Us stock bodied gassers run against cars designated as pro mods by their builders. But that's another gripe that goes on deaf ears. Change has happen in NT/F over the years arguably for many reasons, one being that the old parts are simple not there anymore. For many though there's still the cacklefest cars that put on a great show.

Dave Tuttle still make "layed-back" style dragster such as Dr. Kin Bates drives (Perhaps you can post a photo Darr, I can't figure out how to do it).

BTW, still my favorite NT/F car is Jim Boyd's home built "Red Turkey" open trailer and all.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back