A Tribute to John Jodauga (2 Viewers)

junglevsbrutus

Nitro Member
Jodauga, '70 OMS, '79 E-town.png
Jodauga, FC achievements-CC.jpg
Jodauga, BlueMax '75.jpg
Jodauga, Grumpy's Press Kit.jpg

I haven't seen any mentions of John Jodauga's passing so I wanted to talk about my recently departed artist and drag racing pal. If you're a long time fan his name (pronounced "jo-doo-gah") should be familiar. I've posted some of my favorite Jodauga pieces to stir your memories, all great stuff! John's earliest published works included very tasteful pencil portraits of Doug "Cookie" Cook and Don Prudhomme in the 1966 issues of Drag Racing Magazine.

From there John would expand to color and do commissions for Hot Rod and Car Craft. But of course, most of John's work was created for NHRA and National DRAGSTER. There he also became one of ND's top journalists for a half of a century! I can guarantee you that we've all read John's insightful national event reports, tech articles and racer biographies through many, many decades.

Think of it. The first Snake vs. Mongoose FCs....Garlits' rear engine revolution...evolution of Pro Stock...breaking the 5-sec. barrier...the Winston era...the 4 sec. barrier...the 300 mph barrier...Force's dominance...Tony Schumacher vs. Larry Dixon...Powerade...1320' to 1000' drag racing—John Jodauga covered it all and everything in between! And don't forget the wonderful ND series Where Are They Now where John interviewed the retired legends which included updates on their current activities.

Here's a few links to the NHRA.com articles about John's amazing artwork and life.
https://www.nhra.com/news/2023/jodauga

The sport of drag racing was lucky to have John join its ranks right as it was transitioning from an amateur weekend pastime to the professional sport it remains today. His keyboard told the stories while his brushes captured the beauty of the sport. Rest in Peace, my friend!

Info for depicted John Jodauga artwork
1. ND's souvenir issue for the inaugural Hot Wheels Supernationals, Nov. '70, the first time an NHRA national event carried a sponsor. "Big John" Mazmanian's Cuda is featured.
2. '79 NHRA Summernationals, either a poster or the event program. A very unusual view of a Snake vs. Mongoose FC battle!
3. A full page in Car Craft's FC special issue, a handsome piece that shows the major achievements of the FC class. Note how each succeeding typeface becomes more modern!
4. '75 Blue Max, a press kit, I believe. A beautiful portrait of Raymond Beadle, Harry Schmidt and the legendary Mustang II FC.
5. Grumpy's Press Kit for his Monza PS. This might be my favorite Jodauga piece. Despite the absurd imagery both Grump and Wayne Gapp are seriously intent on winning the race! *LOL*

James, you hit the nail on the head. Hope it's a long time before we see a tribute to you. heh

James you have wrote the obvious to the the many here whohave foloowed NHRA racing for 45 plus years. JJ was a very talented individual who I have respected and followed for all the years I have photographed Drag Racing . He is the leader of the pack of racing journalist, photographer and illustrator!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back