Need some suggestions on where to stay for next years's Gatornationals (1 Viewer)

TSK

Staff member
Nitro Member
My wife told me yesterday to make plans for us to go to next year's Gatornationals. That has always been a bucket list trip for me. It's the 50th anniversary of the race and that weekend also happens to be our 34th anniversary.
I went to the 25th Indy race in 1979. In 2004 my wife and I went to the 50th Indy. So, I figured to take in the Gators for their 50th. I want to go ahead and get the trip nailed down now.
Since it's also in the middle of spring break, would it be better to fly into Jacksonville and try to find a place to stay there, or is there anything around Gainesville? I want to avoid Orlando and Daytona during that time.
Thanks.

me and my dad are going to were flying down on Tuesday to Atlanta then get on a plane to Gainsville i've always really liked staying at Marrot but we are staying at springfeild See you at one of the mettings!

Try Woodspring Suites in Gainseville if they still have rooms available. Cheaper than the other major hotel chains and a step up from the "cheap" places.

G-ville is tough, there aren't any hotels super close to the track. The closer you can stay to the Ale House the better. Make sure you go in there for a beverage Friday night.

G-ville is tough, there aren't any hotels super close to the track. The closer you can stay to the Ale House the better. Make sure you go in there for a beverage Friday night.
I was getting ready to say the same thing.:)

Fly directly into Gainsville GNV. Plenty of hotels on the other side of Univ of Florida. 20 minutes away

OK. I just booked a room at the Woodspring Suite. It is 2.6 miles from the Ale House.
It's about a half hour from the track. We've got a place to stay and now know where to go to quench our thirsts.

Ted, since me and pops have been going to the Gators since 2006, I have a couple of pointers and recommendations for you.

Let's start with the track. It's located out in the middle of nowhere and CR-225 is the only access road to the track. Be sure to wake up early and hit the road early otherwise you'll be facing the world's most frustrating traffic jam. Also, you might want to invest in a "preferred parking" pass. It's worth it's weight in gold, and it might save you from having to park next to the UF silos (Plus you can skip some of the traffic). Inside the track, they re-arranged the pits so nearly all the cars are lined up in one isle. If you're a fan of the sportsman racers, their pits are located past the 1/4 mile marker but you'll have the best experience talking to the men and women there. Speaking of pits, there are no pit areas on the left - just the right side of the strip. Best to get seats on the "pit side" of the track.

BTW, I can't stress this enough - bring your jackets! North Florida does get cold in March. As an FYI, spring is when the farmers in the area choose to pollinate their crops so make sure you pack an allergy medication with you if you're allergic.

As for food, Gainseville is a "college town" littered with run-of-the-mill chain restaurants, but I have managed to sniff out some nice places. Since you're staying in Woodspring, there is a nice little place called the "43rd Street Deli & Breakfast House" pretty much right across the street on Williston Rd. Best place to go for breakfast hands down! I usually go to the Ale House on Thursday, but any day you can find racers hanging out there. If you're into Japanese Food, there is a little place called "Sushi Matsuri" located in a strip mall on Archer Road that reminds me of a place close by my house. Two of my favorites are not near the track, but a couple of miles to the north - For Italian, try "Francesca's Trattoria." If you like Chinese food, There is a place off Newberry Rd called "Mr Han." Best chinese restuarant I have tried up there, but if you're going to stop in Ocala that is a place called Yummy House that is pretty good also.

Did I mention Ocala? If it's your first time, you have got to make the Don Garlits Museum a required trip. So much history packed into one place. You might even run into the man himself.

If need to know more, feel free to ask.

Sam,
Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely getting that parking pass.
I didn't think people in Florida needed coats. lol
But, I'll take one anyway.
As far as Garlits' museum, that is a must-see for any racing fan. My wife and I went there in 2010 after we witnessed the launch of shuttle Atlantis.
The museum is amazing and I know I didn't see it all. We are planning on going there on Saturday of race weekend.
Going to Friday qualifying and Sunday eliminations are the main priorities on this trip.

Went to the Gators for 15 years running (including the year it rained a lot and the race was canceled due to un-parkable muddy fields. )Sams advice us spot on. I always stayed in Ocala for good prices and made the drive to the track which was not bad at all.

I once stayed in an I-75 motel just south of Lake City. Heading to Gainesville, cut off the I-75 at Alachua and take back roads to join with CR-225 which brings you to the track from the north, avoiding the traffic jam coming up from G'ville. Worked then, but a fair few years ago.

Been to the Gators 7 times! If you wanna save $$$ you can stay in Ocala but it’s like 45 miles from the track! Plus if your not there by 7 AM on Sat/Sun good luck...

I would recommend looking on the airbnb site. Last year I found a great place in Newberry which is a nice little town
It took me around 15-20 minutes to drive to the track on Sunday early morning.

Hey do the Gators offer TEC seats?

Well worth it for that race. Did TEC there in '99. 5 min walk out to our car and a cooler full of Coronas. We didn't know you couldn't buy beer at the track. TEC gives you two vouchers for beer/wine per day....

Last edited:
what's everyone's opinion on this year's 50th? can you show up and get a seat? or will it be sold out? opinions on friday, saturday, and sunday. mite be in FL. just can't commit to
pre-buy tickets. if i go, i'll just pay at gate.

what's everyone's opinion on this year's 50th? can you show up and get a seat? or will it be sold out? opinions on friday, saturday, and sunday. mite be in FL. just can't commit to

You should be able to pay at the gate. Just make sure to get there super-early on Saturday.

They started selling tickets super early this year. Don't know if you'll have any luck getting them if you wait too long.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back