Traveling to Indy (1 Viewer)

DrRocket

Nitro Member
In the not to distant future, me and Mrs Rocket are planning a 32nd wedding anniv trip, and we plan on spending a couple of days in Indianapolis as we pass through there.

Now I KNOW some of you here have spent "a little time" there, and am looking for good suggestions about where to stay, where to eat, etc.

We definately plan on taking in the Motor Speedway museum.

Suggestions??? :)

I have stayed on the north look (Pyramids) at the Comfort Inn, its nice. When I go cheap there is a travellodge near the the airport that works well too.
I'm just there to sleep, maybe hit a pool then spend most of the day at the track.

Speedway museum is a must. Of course make sure to check out the world famous mater meetings while at the track :)

Ah, thanks.

Actually, I won't be at the Nats. (That IS on my bucket list.)

For obvious reasons, I'd just as soon not give out the actual dates, but it's in the spring.

We're passing through Indy on our way somewhere else, and thought I'd take the opportunity to see some sights, and was hoping to get some advice.

David,
Don't know if budget is a huge factor but downtown Indy might be the best "Downtown" in the country. If you stay there it would be a couple of extra bucks, but you can walk to many places that I would put on the must list. Downtown Indy also has horse drawn carraiges that wil be happy to give you a tour of the area. St. Elmo's Steak house is a must. Oceanaire Seafood room is a great place as well. If it's an off weekend keep your eyes peeled and you might very well see someone you recognize. If Mrs. Rocket is a shopper the Circle Center Mall is right there as well. The Lucas Oil Stadium tour is a must, you already had the speedway on the list, but if you take a short drive to Brownsburg (15 mins.) all the race shops are in the same area and just looking at the size of the buildings is pretty impressive. I honestly don't know if any would give a tour, but maybe a call ahead would be in order. The Indianapolis Zoo is also one of the best if you like that kind of thing, 5 minutes from downtown.

Enjoy your trip,

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks Alan.. I really appreciate it. That's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like a lot of great places to go to. Looks like we may just extend our stay there a day or so. :)

Last edited:
although a chain with a few locations around the country - if you enjoy
seafood, the oceanaire seafood room is a good choice.

although a chain with a few locations around the country - if you enjoy
seafood, the oceanaire seafood room is a good choice.

Yep, we've been to the one here in the Twin Cities, and it is indeed good. Since we've been there, we've decided to check out St Elmo's Steak House in Indy.

Thanks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back