50th Gatornationals photography advice. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Nitro Member
Hi all, I'm coming over from the UK for a trip of a lifetime to the 50th Gatornationals.
I have a question for any photographers on this excellent forum.
I have booked the Top Eliminator stands and we are in section 4 and row W which is about three quarters of the way up.
I have a choice to bring either a 70-200mm lens or a 100-400. I use the 70-200 at Santapod but the pictures I've seen from the track at Gainesville seems to be a bit further away .
Which lens would you bring? This really is the trip of a lifetime for me and I want to get it right.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking, Paul.

Bring the 100-400.
If you want to shoot something further downtrack, you’ll be glad to have the extra focal length.
Are you also bringing a shorter lens (around 50mm) for shooting in the pits?

I would ask Mark Rebilas. http://markjrebilas.com/blog/ He has tons of experience capturing some of the most amazing drag racing (among other sporting events) images. Not sure if he's available or willing to help, but hey, it can't hurt to ask him for some tips.

At Seattle, I shoot with a full-frame body from as high in the stands as possible, and I use the 70-200 exclusively. But my workflow consists of getting both cars in the frame as they pass adjacent to me (I'm also as far down-track as the stands allow). In your case, the 100-400 will likely be the better choice, as anything that happens before the eighth-mile is too far away to be recognizable with the wider lens.

From what I can see from Gainesville photos I would bring the 100-400. There isn't that much difference between 70 and 100 but the extra 200 mm (200 to 400) will be very helpful especially if using a full-frame camera.

Bring the 100-400.
If you want to shoot something further downtrack, you’ll be glad to have the extra focal length.
Are you also bringing a shorter lens (around 50mm) for shooting in the pits?

Yes I will be using my 'run around' 18-250mm for the pits not the best quality but it does the job,no good for the track shots hence the zoom.

Thank you all for your replies, fingers crossed for great weather now, I cannot wait..... :)

I'd bring the 70-200 and pack a 1.4 teleconverter. The 100-400 isn't exactly a 'fast' lens like a f/2.8. With a 1.4x you'll still be at f/4 wide open and have a range of 98-280mm. The difference between 280 and 400 really isn't that much, plus the 100-400 is going to be soft on the 400 end.

I'd bring the 70-200 and pack a 1.4 teleconverter. The 100-400 isn't exactly a 'fast' lens like a f/2.8. With a 1.4x you'll still be at f/4 wide open and have a range of 98-280mm. The difference between 280 and 400 really isn't that much, plus the 100-400 is going to be soft on the 400 end.

Great advise Brent, I do have a 1.4 extender so I will bring that combination....Thanks all. :)

I once had a Brownie Box camera. Would take great shots, B/W or color.... as long as the subject didn't move. Was my mom's, probably from 1930's or 40's. Can't remember what happened to it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back