Need help for Video #7.... (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone for your imput... For this video, I would like to focus on the drivers who lost their lives doing something they all loved. Not that Maynard, Fuzzy, Herb didn't die doing what they loved, but I want to keep it simple... Does anyone know the name of the Top Alcohol Dragster Driver killed in Vegas about 88-91? I think his name was Tim or Tom? It was a WDRS Event at the old vegas track.

Ok...for Video #7 from Charlet Motorsports, I have decided to do a "In Memoriam" Piece to those who have lost their lives in our sport. However, this is something I don't want to forget anyone! I need your help Mater Nation. Please let me know of any Drivers who have lost their lives on the drag strip. PRO, SPORTSMEN, it does not matter! I just want to recognize them ALL!!! Also, If you have any photo's or Video of these People I'd appreciate this greatly! Here is who I have so far:

-Blaine Johnson*(michael..any video or photo's you have would really help me!)
-Eric Medlen
-Darrell Russell
-Lee Shepherd
-Carrie Neil (Need photo's Please)
-Jeff Krug (Need Photo's Please)

I know I am missing so many others, but just can't figure it out right now. Please help me produce something that will include them all! This will be done to "BROTHER'S IN ARMS" by Dire Straits.....

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Timmah

On Don Ewald's site "We Did it for love" he has a memorial listing drag racers that were killed while racing. A lot of members may have some old photos of these drivers. Remembering Those Who Are No Longer With Us
Ken

Rocky Keyes died at HRP 2 years ago. I will try and email you a pick. David Baker, my grandpa's best friend died back in the 70's and I will try and get a pic of him as well. Tim, pm me your email addy. I am sure there are some we are forgetting.

Tim,

I think this is an awesome idea. I know you're looking for drivers who lost their lives on the drag strip, but I would offer the following three people for honorable mention:

- Jungle Jim
- Shelley Howard's son (Sorry, his name escapes me)
- Darrell Gwynn

P.S. I'd love a copy of this vid when you're done with it - name your price...

Tim,

I think this is an awesome idea. I know you're looking for drivers who lost their lives on the drag strip, but I would offer the following three people for honorable mention:

- Jungle Jim
- Darrell Gwynn

He was injured, but still with us!!!!!

He was injured, but still with us!!!!!

I agree, that's why I said honorable mention.

To clarify: Despite the fact he survived (thank God), his injuries were such that he has been rendered unable to compete on the drag strip as a driver anymore. To my knowledge, he's the only driver, at least as far back as I can recall, who has suffered a crash that forced retirement due to a handicap. Even Bruce Allen's decision following the Dallas crash was just that, a decision - and for the record I respect him greatly for it.

That said, I would certainly understand leaving Darrell off too, it was just a thought.

Last edited:
Along with Zookeeper Mulligan significant fuel dragster guys from the day: Adam Sorokin, Jimmy Nix, and Pete Robinson and Dick Harrell in FC.

-vonB

Tim,

- Jungle Jim
- Darrell Gwynn

Brian was Howard's son. He was a special olympics athlete.

What about Rocky Keys D4 racer.

Ok...so I've been trying to compile pictures of a many of these great racers...and was ready to start to edit this video this weekend when I have some time. However, My Dad signed on to WEDIDITFORLOVE.COM and became member..(so did I) and I found over 100 Drivers from the 50's-80's who also lost their lives on the drag strip! So, just when I thought I was ready for edit...It's gonna take some time. I want to do this right, and do not want to miss or forget anyone!

I'll keep ya'll updated! and Thanks for your help with this!

Timmah!

John Hagen, read the story right now on comp plus about GA getting his start.

You beat me to it Justin. I was going to suggest him as well. John's family still runs the family hardware store in St. Paul that John and his wife owned prior to his passing at the Brainerd '83 event. He was a huge favorite of mine when I was a kid seeing him race at Minnesota Dragways in the 70's. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe John at one time held the ET and speed records in Pro Stock circa 1981.

Tim,

- Jungle Jim
- Darrell Gwynn

I'm pretty sure Darrell is still with us.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back