Need Computer Help BADDDD!!! (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
Hey all my 'mater friends!!! I am in need of some serious computer help with my pc at home.

Apparently we got a Win32.netsky worm of some sort. I ran my AVG Anti-Virus, and it is up to date. I ran Spyhunter 3, and it wiped out a bunch of garbage as well. But I still get a warning when the computer comes on, and if I open a web browser (either IE or Firefox) it warns me about insecure browsing, and wants me to click to buy protection, or click another link to continue browsing unprotected. Outlook Express also opens for a milli-second then closes immediately, and this is also what happens if I try to browse the internet, it closes suddenly.

Please help!!!! It is holding up my work at home, as well as my wifes school work.

Thanks!!!

I thought that the Spyhunter was supposed to remove everything. I spent $29 on that, and would hate to buy another program at this point. Is there something that is allowing the worm to hang around??

The SmitFraudFix that Sam recommended works great- I tried it based on his suggestion when I was having some issues, and it smoked all the evil-doers that I had hiding in the corners...

The SmitFraudFix that Sam recommended works great- I tried it based on his suggestion when I was having some issues, and it smoked all the evil-doers that I had hiding in the corners...

I know, it's a great tool, too bad the company I answer phones for won't let us use it anymore. :( :mad:

I seem to have made substantial progress. I was able to download the Symantec tool, and it did it's thing. I requested a refund from Spyhunter (Sam seemed to know that one.....it certainly did not do what was advertised) and updated the program I have used for years with good success. Outlook Express and my web browsers are working, but I am still getting the occasional window that opens with a warning about the Win32.netsky, asking if I want to enable protection.

Thanks everyone!!

I'm surprised the tool from Symantec worked - most of their "removal tools" get circumvented within hours of release, if not sooner. Same deal with Microsoft's.

The thing about Spyhunter being junk is sadly similar to a lot of well-known AntiSpy/Virus softwares. Remember Ad-aware? I remember when that program was great, but it's used so often that malware circumvents it, making it useless. Spysweeper is another program that drives me nuts - it'll say it removed something but you reboot and the damn thing comes back! Or, it'll totally miss something.

One time I ran Spysweeper and it totally missed MyWebSearch. Which is another thing about the "big name" apps. When a spyware author finds out that a certain security program is flagging their product as such (Because it is!), they will oftentimes threaten a lawsuit claiming that (insert Antispy program here) is slandering their name and hurting business. The Antispy author, rather than sticking to their guns, folds like a deck of cards and takes the offending product out of the Antispy app's definitions file.

Which is why I always recommend the apps from smaller companies (Malwarebytes, VIPRE or SuperAntiSpyware). Contrary to what someone here said, they update every day, are not circumvented and don't give a sh!t when someone cries slander for them listing their junk as spyware (In other words, they have a spine).

Speaking of MyWebSearch: it's a spyware toolbar that forces you to install it if you're installing: Smiley Central, Popular Screensavers, Webfetti, MyFunCards and Zwinky. If you see any of these in add/remove programs, uninstall them.

Hi Alan--glad you got some good guidance here on the mater for your computer problems--one last tip--if all else fails, try rubbing the entire unit with an ear of corn--hell, it can't hurt! Hope all else is going well, my hijack buddy!

Hi Alan--glad you got some good guidance here on the mater for your computer problems--one last tip--if all else fails, try rubbing the entire unit with an ear of corn--hell, it can't hurt! Hope all else is going well, my hijack buddy!

Should that be the special Nebraski-Corn, or just any old ear??:D

Things are better on the PC, I ran the Smitfraudfix that was suggested, but am still getting the occasional pop-up warning of a netsky worm, and wanting me to enable protection. Next time it comes up, I'm going to try and block the website that sends it out.

Thanks again everyone!!

Things are better on the PC, I ran the Smitfraudfix that was suggested, but am still getting the occasional pop-up warning of a netsky worm, and wanting me to enable protection. Next time it comes up, I'm going to try and block the website that sends it out.

Thanks again everyone!!

That would be the special corn that both Suzie and Teri with an I are in possession of (damn, I think I was supposed to send some to someone else too--Jenn?) I don't think any of that Cali corn will work, but you could give it a try..

Thanks again everyone!!

Might want to try the freeware version of MalwareBytes Anti-malware next (Malwarebytes.org) and a tool called vundofix: VundoFix by Atribune

Last edited:
Maybe Sam or one of you other gurus can help me. My computer is pretty old and runs 2000 Professional. It's not fast or fancy but it does everything I need it to do. Shortly after I bought it it started telling me it was short on virtual memory it has an 80 gig hard drive but it had a pretty small memory (sorry I also have a small memory so I don't know the exact #) My computer expert at the time checked it out and told me to buy more memory and install it. So I bought something like 5 times what it had and it has worked just fine ever since. Until about a week ago when it started telling me again every now and then that the system is short on virtual memory and may run slow while it reconfigures or something like that. I have run the disk cleaner and gotten rid of the "Temporary Internet Files" (whatever that means) and other stuff, but it still thinks that it is short on memorey. Is there some way to free up the memory? I can't think of anything that would be clogging it up, but then I don't know much about these things anyway. So if someone has an idea, I'm listening.

Thanks in Advance,
Alan

Alan, I would also suggest using Firefox for your browser if you aren't already. If your slowdowns are internet browsing related, I've had several people download and switch to Firefox with a cosmic increase in speed navigating over Internet Exploder with no other changes. May not be the case at all, but even if your slowdowns aren't browsing related, I still recommend going to Firefox if you haven't already.

I'm sure everyone has heard about the IE patch that Microsoft released a couple of days ago to plug a security leak.. Since I mannually install my updates, I'm wondering if anyone has had any adverse affects with this update, as it is a "How'd we miss that one?" fix from the great Masters of the Box..:rolleyes:

I'm sure everyone has heard about the IE patch that Microsoft released a couple of days ago to plug a security leak.. Since I manually install my updates, I'm wondering if anyone has had any adverse affects with this update, as it is a "How'd we miss that one?" fix from the great Masters of the Box..:rolleyes:

Uhhhh... I'll take that as a "no"?.... ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back