Moving Rumor (1 Viewer)

It sucks that you didn't go because you would have loved it. It was a full day of seeing some of the coolest hot rods ever gathered on the west coast lined up for city blocks in each direction from Forces shop. There was great music from different bands including Adrian Force/Hight's band that she was in and they would take turns on the large stage that was setup. There was a lot of food venues set up there including southern California's famous In&Out Burger trailer. Just the smell of nitro, frying burgers, and caramel corn in the air excited me. There were a lot of other vendor booths set up all over the place. You also got to take tours of the JFR shop with Johns brother Louie. You could also go up stairs in the race station and and Kenny Young Blood would do a cool cartoon type drawing of you. I couldn't believe the long autograph lines for all of the racing legends and celebrities. There were so many drag racers and drag racing legends like the Snake/ Mongoose. Plus Celebrity car people like Chip Foose and Jay Leno. Then you could also meet the KCBS southern California weather girls Vera Jimenez and Jackie Johnson. There was a lot more but I already feel like I'm writing a book. The whole thing was for a great charity for kids and you only needed to donate a $10.00 unwrapped toy.
nhra, are you reading this? it's not just about racing. it's an event. do not forget the weather girls.

Obviously not this year, but any shot it would come back?

Nunz,

I don't see it happening, as Eugene said, it was a HUGE happening. The last time I think my entry was number 967. You actually had to apply and be accepted to enter a car. It was a one day move in and out and Eugene will attest that at 2 AM guys would be lining up. Mid morning it would clog up the 91 freeway. But it shut down the neighborhood, and other businesses didn't care for that.

Funny story (at least I think so) First year I went, John asked if I would help with the awards and interview the mayor. I said sure. So I brought my Tuxedo to class it up a bit. End of day I changed for the ceremony and everyone (including Craig who ran the show and John) was looking at me like I was from another planet for being formal when most were wearing shorts and
Hawaiian shirts. I mean EVERYBODY gave me grief. Next year, I didn't bring the suit and when they introduced me to take the stage I got BOOED for not dressing up! LoL I had the suit every year after that.....

Alan

Last edited:
Nunz,

I don't see it happening, as Eugene said, it was a HUGE happening. The last time I think my entry was number 967. You actually had to apply and be accepted to enter a car. It was a one day move in and out and Eugene will attest that at 2 AM guys would be lining up. Mid morning it would clog up the 91 freeway. But it shut down the neighborhood, and other businesses didn't care for that.

Funny story (at least I think so) First year I went, John asked if I would help with the awards and interview the mayor. I said sure. So I brought my Tuxedo to class it up a bit. End of day I changed for the ceremony and everyone (including Craig was ran the show and John) was looking at me like I was from another planet for being formal when most were wearing shorts and
Hawaiian shirts. I mean EVERYBODY gave me grief. Next year, I didn't bring the suit and when they introduced me to take the stage I got BOOED for not dressing up! LoL I had the suit every year after that.....

Alan
Great story Alan, I’m sorry I never made it to one of the shows. It’s too bad that, as you put it, it became a victim of its own success.

Correct my math here and using 2020 names: Johnson, Beckman, Hagan, Capps, Pruett, Brown, Tony, Tasca & Lee under the roof in Brownburg. With Johnson & Beckman moving on, heck I'll take a shot and say Cruz becomes a satellite team under the same roof.........essentially moving his "address", definitely a great way to reduce costs and also get technical information
There is some mumblings that it could be Cruz.

Cruz has always been hard on his crew chiefs if he doesn’t get fairly quick results. To me he is the George Steinbrenner of team owners. Good luck to all involved and it would be great if he is a contender again.

Cruz has always been hard on his crew chiefs if he doesn’t get fairly quick results. To me he is the George Steinbrenner of team owners. Good luck to all involved and it would be great if he is a contender again.
As are other owners.

I'm surprised Cruz has the budget to hire all those guys - presuming their price would be higher than the crew Cruz had last year. And as noted, Cruz does not have a reputation of being a hands-off car owner when it comes to the tune-up, so how long will this arrangment last?

so cruz/snap-on are now considered a 'satellite' team of dsr? (the same as tasca; buy parts; technical assistance, etc.?)........ so cruz is the 'moving' guy? down the street in brownsburg?
or is cruz/snap-on still a stand alone team that just hired a new crew? ....... who's the other fella that was great friends with hop who worked for cruz? is he still on team? (nick i think is the name?)
1992ennis.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like TJJ does not have viable irons in the fire. This crew gave TJ A top 4 car I hope Cruz lets them do what they do.....

Sounds like TJJ does not have viable irons in the fire. This crew gave TJ A top 4 car I hope Cruz lets them do what they do..... AND has the resorces to do it. Sometimes decisions have to be made when there are not unlimited clutch parts - tires - head gasket thicknesses - piston deck heights - Blowers - etc. Running as good as you can and running as good as you could are not the same thing. It is easier when the "Well" is deeper.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back