Mater Rides... (1 Viewer)

Here another shot with Larry.:D Under the lights at Irwindale.The guy in the Black hat, for those that don't know.
7rrMadness1.jpg

Dan- get that visor down! Ya seen what a bee can do to your eye at 160? Or a rock.
And to answer Justin- CIFCA
California Independent Funny-Car Association

It's my Dad driving!

It falls down by the 60 foot mark! normally when the wheels land lol.

I ride a bike on the road and I been hit by an insect at 60mph! That hurts...

Well by most stanards I don't race but I have taken my daily driver Kia Rio down the track at milan a few times this summer.

Yes its slow as can be. The announcer can go get a drink between the time I launch....err ok leave the line and when I reach the finish line. It was a little embarrasing when the fan in the motorized wheelchair was riding along the fence and still pulled away from me:D

I don't have a pic yet although I have dubbed the car Zippy the Wonder Slug

Do NOT post a pic of that Kia!

Here's da Merc.

I seen pics of this car in The English Mag 'Custom Car'

Did you build it rapid?

I think it must be early '00's it was in there.

Dan.

Sorry Dan, I just saw your post. Yes I built the car myself. The picture I posted was one of the displays I did for Mr. Gasket at the Topeka NHRA event. I built that car in a little 1.5-car garage back at my old house. It was a tight fit with the work bench on the side of the garage. If you wanted to work on the side of the car you had to move it over against the opposite wall. :eek:

Thanks for asking about it,

Rapid

The cup holders make the truck go faster!

It went 78MPH in the 1/8 at Irwindale. It's my daily driver! Have'nt run 1/4 yet. Maybe I'll try it out at Good Guys or Super Chevy.

Here's my girl.....:D

Attachments

• 0402DSC_1010.jpg
    0402DSC_1010.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 0430DSC_9707.jpg
    0430DSC_9707.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Update

Unfortunetly, the car now looks like this after Saturday 11/11's crash.

Last edited:
Not real sure Randy. This was only the 3rd race in the car but my dad really liked driving it and felt comfortable in it. We were in 3rd round of a $5k bracket race and when he left the car went to the left out by the center line but Dad stayed with it. We were only racing 1/8th mile. Dad was close to the centerline but the car was going straight and he said it didnt feel any different than it had the other passes he has made in it. Right before the finish line the car just took a hard right into the wall with the front right of the car, spun around and hit the back drivers side, and then spun around again and scraped the whole passenger side along the guardrail for a little bit and then came to a stop on the track. Dad was fine, just sore now and his shoulder is a little hurt but other than that, nothing really.

Dad didnt realize how close he was to the centerline but like he said it didnt feel any different and it was going straight then so he stayed with it. Other than just driver error being out of the groove the only other thing we can think of is during the first round we had a nut back off the front right tire and took a chunk of metal out of the rotor but we fixed the problem. Dont know if that came back out but when we checked after we took the car apart Sunday, it looks fine so we arent too sure. It will be back. Just needs about $8k worth of work done roughly. Nothing appears to be misaligned or broke or anything. Motor and trans are fine. Car will just have to be front halved and a new right side tire area and such.

And not anything against HRP b/c we race there all the time and we had made several runs at that track with this car but they seem to be having a problem with the right lane. They have had several cars crash in it in the last several months. Hence the reason I believe its getting repaved starting in about 2 weeks. And there were runs before and after us. Matter of fact, a guy in a dragster right in front of us about 2 rounds earlier got completely sideways in the right lane but got lucky and didnt hit anything somehow b/c I could read the side of the dragster from the starting line about the 1/8th mile. They had a dragster crash out there about a month ago and everyone remembers Rocky Keyes who unfortunetly passed away after crashing out there several months ago. At the mopar race last month they damn near crashed several more cars other than the one dragster. I'm not blaming the track at all, just stating I think there is a problem and I think they are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

Nope Kelly, Houston Raceway Park in Baytown. HMP wrecks stuff all the time but thats b/c they mostly have 700-800 cubic inch motors in little bitty cars and people who cant drive and they just shoot NOS until they cant. HRP has had its problems here lately. And in no way am I attacking them. We have always raced out there and will continue to do so. Scott does a good job running the bracket program and stuff now and its getting better. Looking for a great year in 2007 out there but right now they have a little bit of a problem. My dad has raced out there since the track opened and I cant ever recall cars crashing or almost crashing like this year. Its just been crazy.

My dad has driven for 30 years, so he's no rookie. He's won in everything he's ever driven, including this car just a few weeks ago. This was his first major crash. I guess 1 in 30 years aint bad. I will say there is no feeling in the world like standing on the starting line and watching that happen right in front of you.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back