Martino's comments on KJ. (1 Viewer)

Tom Martino is right, KJ can flat out drive a Pro Stock car & in my humble mind is a championship waiting to happen. That is what this thread is about, isn't it?

But... despite his humble approach to the interview, Tom Martino is one helluva Pro Stock pilot himself.

Next year (with or without Nitrous - Ha Ha Ha) will be exciting in Pro Stock - Richie & AJ with RJ horsepower; Jeggie, Tommy & hopefully Dave with Cagnazzi horsepower; Greg & Jason; Martino with Maskin power; KJ & WJ... Pro Stock isn;t necessarily my favorite, but I'm looking forward to next year already...

If WJ was just that much better than the rest of them, even if they were using nitrous, then congrats to WJ. Thats some serious HP if you can outrun someone all motor to them having nitrous. I have never said anyone works harder than WJ and he's most surely earned everything he has done in the sport.

HI:)
Justin, what you also fail to understand with this statement, is that these were not "nitrous kits" in the true sense of the word. They had no fuel enrichment cycle they were designed to direct N2O only into the carb air stream (usually in he hood scoop) to cool the air as well as add enriched oxygen (anyone who races with a weather station can attest to the value of cool dense air). This has only a minimal effect on engine power, but enough to make a DNQ car, a qualified car. You must remember the bump spot was/is thou' of a second at this level.
The Pennzoil car was renown for good qualifying performance, bad race day performance. Lots more scrutiny on race day.
Hope this also helps answer your questions.
Thanks JP:D
Just wanted to add, "Allegedly" to all of the above;) :)

Last edited:
Ok, this is going to be my last post on this subject.
Dan, I apologize if you felt that I questioned your honesty, that was not my intent. With that said, my source on the Pro Stock debacle back then is 100% foolproof. I am not saying who it is, b/c I am not throwing anyone under the bus. And he knows, b/c he worked on one team when they got caught and he was present when another team got busted. Matter of fact, I talked to him last night and he knows you. And just b/c you dont know somebody or there ties to the sport, dont mean that they dont know what there talking about.

Ok, this is going to be my last post on this subject.
Dan, I apologize if you felt that I questioned your honesty, that was not my intent. With that said, my source on the Pro Stock debacle back then is 100% foolproof. I am not saying who it is, b/c I am not throwing anyone under the bus. And he knows, b/c he worked on one team when they got caught and he was present when another team got busted. Matter of fact, I talked to him last night and he knows you. And just b/c you dont know somebody or there ties to the sport, dont mean that they dont know what there talking about.

Justin,

I appreciate your response and clarification.

I agree that there's not anything more to be said.

Tom Martino is right, KJ can flat out drive a Pro Stock car & in my humble mind is a championship waiting to happen. That is what this thread is about, isn't it?

But... despite his humble approach to the interview, Tom Martino is one helluva Pro Stock pilot himself.

I envision a P/S world where drivers like Tom Martino win the championship...

I never have competed against Warren Johnson and cannot offer an opinion there. I have talked to him at numerous races from the time he was a Division 5 competitor in what is now LODRS.
He is very cerebral and his humor is droll. That dry sense of humor leads some to believe that he is not friendly. I think he's focused. He is also capable of rattling his listener with a well-focused zinger, much the way Winston Churchill did.
I'm glad we have people with Warren's intelligence and some with Tom Martino's generosity in our sport. I, too, think KJ is a Championship waiting to happen, and . . . .I like that red, white and blue paintjob on Martino's ride. Does anyone else remember the Hornet X?
Cheers,
Ed

Tom's right. KJ is a great driver and tuner. An all around good racer. Nothing left to say. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back