Last minute TF entry at Pomona? (1 Viewer)

I don't think Scott can run T/F this weekend unless he doesn't enter his FC, which I don't see happening as they are making real progress with that car.

It would be fine by me if they did not run "that" funny car this weekend
lol.gif

Yeah, I was just looking at the results from today & there's nobody 'special' there. I'd be willing to bet (and I have no information to substantiate this) that whoever was thinking about bringing in a 'blocker' decided it was too "shady" (for lack of a better word) and dropped the idea. And if that's the case then I personally applaud them for it.

I mean really... let's assume for the sake of argument it actually worked and whoever the blocker was hired to assist went on to win the championship because the blocker beat the challenger in the 1st round (as unlikely as it may be) - If I were a bettin' man I'd say this board, among others, would light up like a Christmas tree with disgust and negative sentiments toward said driver. I alluded to this earlier, but I'll ask again - how would the rest of the racers (and I'll add fans this time) treat an individual who came in for one race and ruined everything another man had worked for all year? I'm guessing not well...

Gordon,
it is racing and may the best man win either the race or the championship. This is not like taking all of the best football players, coaches etc from the teams eliminated early in the playoffs and putting them into the superbowl against the NFL or AFC's best. In drag racing if you can qualify by whatever means you get to play on Sunday and have a chance to win. Prior to the "modern era" the World Championships were decided at a single event (for both the NHRA and AHRA titles) and whatever happened earlier in the season did not count for anything more than bragging rights. By the way the late Steve Carbone won both championships in 1969, a season in which he reputedly drove some 16 different T/F cars.
If you can't beat a one race "blocker" do you really deserve the title?

Roo Man

Gordon,
it is racing and may the best man win either the race or the championship. This is not like taking all of the best football players, coaches etc from the teams eliminated early in the playoffs and putting them into the superbowl against the NFL or AFC's best. In drag racing if you can qualify by whatever means you get to play on Sunday and have a chance to win. Prior to the "modern era" the World Championships were decided at a single event (for both the NHRA and AHRA titles) and whatever happened earlier in the season did not count for anything more than bragging rights. By the way the late Steve Carbone won both championships in 1969, a season in which he reputedly drove some 16 different T/F cars.
If you can't beat a one race "blocker" do you really deserve the title?

Roo Man

Roo Man,

Great question. And my answer would be yes, a driver may lose to a blocker, but at the same time still deserve the title. In today's day & age parts breakage can be a deciding factor in a race. One need look no further than the CSK Nationals in Arizona to see an example of it. Tony Schumacher was running .40's like a bracket car until a throttle linkage broke in the semi's. I submit the better car did not win that race. Please don't misunderstand me, I accept it for what it is (was) and so do the racers - it's a fact of life and of racing. But for that to happen against a 'blocker' in the last race of the season would be a shame - especially if it determined, or helped determine the outcome of the 'season long' championship race.

In my humble little mind, a team owner hiring someone who hasn't raced all year and putting them in their team's spare car specifically in an attempt to take out his/her primary driver's closest competitor so said primary driver can hopefully win the championship is, at best, questionable. It's not illegal, nor are there rules against it - this is simply one man's opinion - mine.

If, however, Steve Chrisman (as merely an example, use Mike Strassburg if you want) takes out Doug Kalitta or Tony Schumacher in the first round and Tony or Doug goes on to win, then it was straight up racin' and the year long contender won straight up.

And I hear what you're saying about the old days - just ask Ed 'Ace' McCullough, he'll tell you all about it too. But these ain't the old days.

Last edited:
Roo Man,

Great question. And my answer would be yes, a driver may lose to a blocker, but at the same time still deserve the title. In today's day & age parts breakage can be a deciding factor in a race. One need look no further than the CSK Nationals in Arizona to see an example of it. Tony Schumacher was running .40's like a bracket car until a throttle linkage broke in the semi's. I submit the better car did not win that race. Please don't misunderstand me, I accept it for what it is (was) and so do the racers - it's a fact of life and of racing. But for that to happen against a 'blocker' in the last race of the season would be a shame - especially if it determined, or helped determine the outcome of the 'season long' championship race.

In my humble little mind, a team owner hiring someone who hasn't raced all year and putting them in their team's spare car specifically in an attempt to take out his/her primary driver's closest competitor so said primary driver can hopefully win the championship is, at best, questionable. It's not illegal, nor are there rules against it - this is simply one man's opinion - mine.

If, however, Steve Chrisman (as merely an example, use Mike Strassburg if you want) takes out Doug Kalitta or Tony Schumacher in the first round and Tony or Doug goes on to win, then it was straight up racin' and the year long contender won straight up.

And I hear what you're saying about the old days - just ask Ed 'Ace' McCullough, he'll tell you all about it too. But these ain't the old days.
Its so good to have people on this board like yourself who know everything about everything and have a better understanding of all that goes on and can teach all those that dont. FYI its McCulloch not McCullough.

Last edited:
C'mon...blocker this or that who cares as long as there is a 16 car field does it really matter to any of us here on this board who wins the championship.
In 1987 Lahaie was head to head w/ J.Amato and Lahaie faced teammate Larry Minor in the 2nd round and had to win as Amato had. Minor drills him and has nothing but daylight out there while Lahaie is up in smoke so Minor shuts it down while Lahaie smoked the tires past him for the win. Lahaie was pissed that Minor allowed him to take the win light, but Larry wanted Lahaie to stay in contention for the championship.
Dick said that championship was not really his due to Minors actions as a teammate.
If any of todays cars lose to a 'blocker' than they do not deserve the championship...simple as that.
You all are reading way to into it. I was taught to worry about the things you are in control of.
I would like to see Shoe and Doug lose first round and bernstein take it, if thats possible.

Its so good to have people on this board like yourself who know everything about everything and have a better understanding of all that goes on and can teach all those that dont. FYI its McCulloch not McCullough.

Ace,

I apologize for misspelling your name, but I feel like I made my point on the subject at hand.

Tim,

I'm sincererly sorry if I offended you by simply having an opinion on this matter. I answered Keith's question and gave my opinions, nobody else's. I never intended, nor wanted, to speak for the masses, for I know not what they think or feel. I engaged in what I thought was an intelligent debate with someone I felt was at least mildly interested in my ideas, right or wrong. I didn't & don't claim to be right - they're simply my thoughts on the subject.

Lastly, if we're going to worry about the spelling of Ace's last name, I feel obligated to point out that the correct way to call me out would've been: "It's so good to have people on this board like yourself who know everything about everything and have a better understanding of all that goes on and can teach all those who don't.

C'mon...blocker this or that who cares as long as there is a 16 car field does it really matter to any of us here on this board who wins the championship.
In 1987 Lahaie was head to head w/ J.Amato and Lahaie faced teammate Larry Minor in the 2nd round and had to win as Amato had. Minor drills him and has nothing but daylight out there while Lahaie is up in smoke so Minor shuts it down while Lahaie smoked the tires past him for the win. Lahaie was pissed that Minor allowed him to take the win light, but Larry wanted Lahaie to stay in contention for the championship.
Dick said that championship was not really his due to Minors actions as a teammate.
If any of todays cars lose to a 'blocker' than they do not deserve the championship...simple as that.
You all are reading way to into it. I was taught to worry about the things you are in control of.
I would like to see Shoe and Doug lose first round and bernstein take it, if thats possible.

i might be mistaken, but wasn't Minor the owner of that team with money and a championship at stake? on another note...why worry if you're in control?:)

Last edited:
Ace,

I apologize for misspelling your name, but I feel like I made my point on the subject at hand.

Tim,

I'm sincererly sorry if I offended you by simply having an opinion on this matter. I answered Keith's question and gave my opinions, nobody else's. I never intended, nor wanted, to speak for the masses, for I know not what they think or feel. I engaged in what I thought was an intelligent debate with someone I felt was at least mildly interested in my ideas, right or wrong. I didn't & don't claim to be right - they're simply my thoughts on the subject.

Lastly, if we're going to worry about the spelling of Ace's last name, I feel obligated to point out that the correct way to call me out would've been: "It's so good to have people on this board like yourself who know everything about everything and have a better understanding of all that goes on and can teach all those who don't.

I may not agree with all of your opinions but they were well presented...... and respectful. Sometimes expressing an opinion that is "different" is not well received here.:)

Roo Man,

Ahh, but what if the Kalitta or DSR camps have "secretly/quietly" provided some additional parts, funding, and/or personnel to Chrisman, Strasburg, or some such like? Voila, there's your blocker in the form of a perennial low-budget team who's usually happy just to qualify without it looking too obvious vis a vis a new car entered in the last race...

Okay, I'll take off my conspiracy guy hat since I'm seeing black helicopters circling overhead. :p

I may not agree with all of your opinions but they were well presented...... and respectful. Sometimes expressing an opinion that is "different" is not well received here.:)
Agreed.
Gordon - no need to apologize.
You plainly stated that it was your opinion. Some people just come to jab at others. (Watch - it'll happen again before this thread is done...)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back