Last minute TF entry at Pomona? (1 Viewer)

Scott K was driving Grubnic's car in LV, on Monday, just to keep his TF licence current. You have to make runs at least once a year. Kenny B. does the same thing to keep his up to date.

It's not Scott, but I believe that there will be a blocker in Pomona......

Alan

Last edited:
And yes, Scott has qualified in a FC and rail car before at the same event!!!!

Sorry Chris, the rule was changed a few years ago. You can only run one Pro catagory. You can run a Pro car and a sportsman car, or two sportsman cars, but not two Pro cars.

Alan

This weekend will be interesting to say the least. What I WOULD LOVE TO SEE is Doug Kalitta lined up first round against either of his teammates and see what happens.

i trully think team $humacher wont have a blocker. they have the best - alan johnson. they will live or die with him. but the smart thing to do for team kalitta is to put ben marshall out there. why not. it will give you a better chance with 4 than 3. if tony still wins it, just tip your cap. but personally- go team kalitta!!!!!!

To me this whole thing seems kind of cheap. If it's true should we put an asterisk next to the standings? Is this the steroids scandal of NHRA? Personally I would rather win it straight up than use a blocker to get there. The victory would not be as sweet if I knew it took a blocker to get the win. But that’s just me.
Also, is it possible the new points system create this kind of thing next year?

Dan

It doesn't make sense for the Kalitta team to bring out a blocker because basically they control their own destiny. If they qualifying sixth or better, and advance to the semifinals, Schumacher would have to win the event and set a national record to get the title. And since it's been over 90-degree the past two days, a national record seems highly unlikely. Plus, with afternoon qualifying, the window is very limited to make a national-record type run. But if Schumacher can get someone lined up with Kalitta in the early rounds armed with an Alan Johnson tune-up...he might have a chance.
It should be interesting

Last edited:
How is a car thats not even a regular on the tour gonna show up at the last event,qualify and pose a threat to a car that is consistantly quicker than everyone else. come on people. Or maybe Connie's gonna fly out the guy they sold Scott's old car to from Australia.:eek:

How is a car thats not even a regular on the tour gonna show up at the last event,qualify and pose a threat to a car that is consistantly quicker than everyone else. come on people. Or maybe Connie's gonna fly out the guy they sold Scott's old car to from Australia.:eek:

If one is to assume the 'blocker' car is intended to do just that - "block," then you're right, it would have to make the field in order to be effective, preferably in such a way as to match up with the opposing contender as early as possible. Having said that, if either Don Schumacher or Connie Kalitta enters another Top Fuel car (and I think it goes without saying these are the two teams we're talking about here), you can bet Alan Johnson or Rahn Tobler will have a say in calling the tune-up shots to the maximum extent possible to ensure the car qualifies... and I, for one, think they're both more than capable of getting two cars (primary & said blocker) in the show. I can't wait to see how this pans out...

On another note. Say a driver is hired to 'block' and flat-out beats the car he's/she's been brought out to beat in a heads-up race. Is he/she now black-balled by everyone else for taking a one race deal for the sole purpose of blocking? If so, will it have been worth the one race deal?

did'nt the powers team say back a month ago or so that they were going to bring a 2nd car out? maybe they have a car ready and are going to be there and nobody is blocking nobody? torrence has already debuted his new car so he is out! :confused:

Yeah, the more I think about it I think it's past that point now where a team blocker could really clear the way for you to do that much good. I could see it maybe 4 or 5 races ago. Unless Shoe comes out seeking to rotate the earth (which they probably will) and get extra points for re-setting a record in addition to hopefully going deep into eliminations. And don't get me wrong, Doug Kalitta will be looking to do the same. I think session 2 on Friday night these 2 cars will either lose traction or one - if not both - will run a number.

At this time, I think it's best to say, "May the best man win".........

And I for one would NOT want Ben Marshall driving. Just because I want Bennie to be able to soak it all up, enjoy the moment with the people he loves, doing what he loves and what he's so good at!!! Why have to worry about the pressure? This is thier time...... a victory and/or Championship is for everyone on that crew.

Last edited:
Unless Shoe comes out seeking to rotate the earth (which they probably will) and get extra points for re-setting a record in addition to hopefully going deep into eliminations. And don't get me wrong, Doug Kalitta will be looking to do the same. I think session 2 on Friday night these 2 cars will either lose traction or one - if not both - will run a number.
It`s Pomona, you`re not going to be seeing any Friday night sessions Chris.

Jim, sounds like you know the inside scoop on this one.

Well, c’mon spill the beans!!! :D :D :D

Brian - it appears that Reinhart and I have heard the same thing from two different sources. I don't know if this is going to happen, but this thread has been very entertaining. If you get the "inside scoop", you are often warned not to reveal your source or the entire story. I'm sorry I couldn't provide more details, but I thought the Maters could have some fun with this!

Scott K was driving Grubnic's car in LV, on Monday, just to keep his TF licence current. You have to make runs at least once a year. Kenny B. does the same thing to keep his up to date.

It's not Scott, but I believe that there will be a blocker in Pomona......

Alan

Alan, I'm shocked. If you think there will be an attempt at blocking I believe you. That just blows my mind that one of the teams would spend that kind of money on such a longshot.

BTW, haven't seen you on Comp + in awhile. You must be busy.

Bubba :)

Brian - it appears that Reinhart and I have heard the same thing from two different sources. I don't know if this is going to happen, but this thread has been very entertaining. If you get the "inside scoop", you are often warned not to reveal your source or the entire story. I'm sorry I couldn't provide more details, but I thought the Maters could have some fun with this!

Jim, I completely understand and I certainly wouldn’t want to put you in a bad position. I didn’t actually expect you to tell us the inside story…… I was just seeing if you'd take the bait.:)

Last edited:
Alan, I'm shocked. If you think there will be an attempt at blocking I believe you. That just blows my mind that one of the teams would spend that kind of money on such a longshot.

Robert - if you have a couple of complete dragsters sitting in the "attic" of the transporters, a huge inventory of parts, an army (;) ) of skilled crew people and a driver who will probably race for free, fielding a blocker is probably gonna be cheap - IF it works.

Robert - if you have a couple of complete dragsters sitting in the "attic" of the transporters, a huge inventory of parts, an army (;) ) of skilled crew people and a driver who will probably race for free, fielding a blocker is probably gonna be cheap - IF it works.

I gotta tell you Jim when you posted this I thought you were nuts. :D My sincerest apologies. C'mon Thur. I want to see this. :)

I'll take that as a hint :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back