Weak entry list for Winternationals (1 Viewer)

If I was running a TF team out of my pocket, I would do enough to get into the middle of the countdown, then let it rip with the best stuff for the final races.

Why go to Pomona and endure endless media about your lack of fighting skills and burn a few of the "good" clutch disks. Since NHRA doesn't pay enough to break even, even if you win, why go?

If I was running a TF team out of my pocket, I would do enough to get into the middle of the countdown, then let it rip with the best stuff for the final races.

Why go to Pomona and endure endless media about your lack of fighting skills and burn a few of the "good" clutch disks. Since NHRA doesn't pay enough to break even, even if you win, why go?
This may be the new paradigm with the independent, competitive teams. Because there are no sponsors to please by attending all of the events, and the purses don't even recover the expenses; there is no incentive since qualifying for the Countdown is easy enough due to the scarcity of full time, competitive teams.

This may be the new paradigm with the independent, competitive teams. Because there are no sponsors to please by attending all of the events, and the purses don't even recover the expenses; there is no incentive since qualifying for the Countdown is easy enough due to the scarcity of full time, competitive teams.

It's funny that the two of you think that the purses should cover the budget. Name any major motorsport where the purses cover the budget....my bet is that you can't!

Here is a great example from F1, but keep in mind that this is from 2015, so I'm sure there's even a bigger discrepancy today.

lappWww.png

You really should read the countdown press release again. In short if Mike was to win 14 straight he would be competing for the title. Sorry
you had to waste your time writing all that crap!

Actually, no. It is called countereducation. :cool:

To the teams that this adjustment actually helps, does it really even matter in the end if 24 times a year making at least 3 runs (2 Q's and 1st rd.) if you spent 30,000 roughly and get back what? 10,000 losing first round? Races need to be cut back from 24, even I would hate it as a fan. 14 events and full fields and no countdown vs. 24 fields, about 1/2 with a bump and countdown. Cut back is the way to go and teams could at least start to possibly break even at worse as opposed to instant red.

Interesting post on Comp +.

I know that is none of our business, but wonder why Torrance has decided to to pass on the Winternationals?
Just my guess... Officially, it may be family business. unofficially, it does not matter...
It is their choice. I do think it would be foolish to declare "I am sticking it to NHRA". You don't want to crap in your own playground...
And they may not be the only ones, sitting out for family matters this year...

Again, just my guess.

Actually, no. It is called countereducation. :cool:

To the teams that this adjustment actually helps, does it really even matter in the end if 24 times a year making at least 3 runs (2 Q's and 1st rd.) if you spent 30,000 roughly and get back what? 10,000 losing first round? Races need to be cut back from 24, even I would hate it as a fan. 14 events and full fields and no countdown vs. 24 fields, about 1/2 with a bump and countdown. Cut back is the way to go and teams could at least start to possibly break even at worse as opposed to instant red.

Unfortunately in any business, when you shorten your reach and marketing window, the sponsors will see that and adjust accordingly. If you cut 10 races out, do you really think sponsorship money would stay the same? In fact it might hurt certain sponsors even worse because you might be eliminating an event close to their core market or HQ. I really don't think there is a short-sided solution to any of this. You have to remember that the NHRA is a business, and the more events they hold, the more money they make. What really is happening, is there is not as many marketing dollars being spent on motorsports in general. This is the result of technology advancements and the marketing budgets are transferring to the little devices we all have and can't seem to put down (where I'm typing right now). Just look at the reason Tony Shumacher can't seem to find a deal. He is probably one of the best spokespeople you could hire in drag racing.

I'm just thankful for the independent teams who put their money on the line and I'm also thankful for the Big 3 ( Kalitta, DSR, Force ). Imagine the entry list numbers if they didn't have the passion they do for this sport and the effort they put in to procure sponsorships.

Torrence posted an acknowledgement a little bit ago on FB regarding missing the upcoming Winternationals. Catch you next time.

"Due to untimely circumstances beyond our control, It’s in the best interest of Torrence racing to not participate in this weekend’s season opener in Pomona, California. We cannot thank our fans enough for their continued support and understanding at this time.‬ "

Torrence posted an acknowledgement a little bit ago on FB regarding missing the upcoming Winternationals. Catch you next time.

"Due to untimely circumstances beyond our control, It’s in the best interest of Torrence racing to not participate in this weekend’s season opener in Pomona, California. We cannot thank our fans enough for their continued support and understanding at this time.‬ "

Well, that certainly clears things up...

It is a bit mysterious, but it sounds like it is probably an issue with the family business that is causing the last-minute cancelation of the trip to Pomona. They wouldn't have driven all the way to Phoenix for testing if they didn't intend to head west to Pomona from there. They also likely would not have let down the Scott Palmer and Jeff Diehl teams unless they really felt they could not make Pomona. That's a real shame because it is 3 and maybe 4 less (if Dad Billy was going to attend) cars at Pomona. But as noted in an earlier post, it also shows that the lesser funded teams do really depend these days on the Torrance's, Schumacher's, and Kalitta's of the sport to stay out there racing.

Going out on a limb here, but Torrence has had a lot of health issues in the past. Might be a factor. I've heard where he didn't want to pay the fine (sounds ridiculous), or because the new countdown rule will allow a bunch of new and unwanted competitors, which doesn't make much sense, either. Most of those 'unwanted competitors' are going to be little-guy 3.80-3.90 cars, not somebody who can routinely bust off 3.65s.

Going out on a limb here, but Torrence has had a lot of health issues in the past. Might be a factor. I've heard where he didn't want to pay the fine (sounds ridiculous), or because the new countdown rule will allow a bunch of new and unwanted competitors, which doesn't make much sense, either. Most of those 'unwanted competitors' are going to be little-guy 3.80-3.90 cars, not somebody who can routinely bust off 3.65s.
Unwanted competitors?

I agree that he probably doesn't care about his image, and the sport could use a villain.

We had one, Bazemore. And he got run of town and his ride stolen from him. I personally loved the Bazemore/Force confrontations. NHRA uses the hell of replays and videos of confrontation for advertising then slaps the ones on the hands for doing it and fines them. Hypocritical at least. Torrence will spin this as business or personal reasons why he didn't show up but we can only hope it's the middle finger gesture mentioned earlier on this thread.

We had one, Bazemore. And he got run of town and his ride stolen from him. I personally loved the Bazemore/Force confrontations. NHRA uses the hell of replays and videos of confrontation for advertising then slaps the ones on the hands for doing it and fines them. Hypocritical at least. Torrence will spin this as business or personal reasons why he didn't show up but we can only hope it's the middle finger gesture mentioned earlier on this thread.

Biggest difference between BLAZEmore and Torrence is funding. Whit needed sponsorship money, Steve does not.

From Pomona during Big rig parking on Wednesday.
After the Cameron Ferre blunder. NHRA hit Torrance with a 25K fine and anger management course completion requirements, before they would accept Steve's entry. Requirements were not met. So Steve was never entered. Nevertheless, Both cars were planning to race until this past weekend, when the Torrence team tested at Phoenix and met with NHRA officials. After whatever discussion took place, Billy told the crew to lock up everything, leave it there and fly home to Indy. Semi - team cars Scott Palmer and Jeff Diehl are just following suit and supporting Torrance.
No matter who you are you are never bigger than the sanctioning body. To be continued.

The fine is one thing I can understand. But, requiring anger management classes before Torrence can compete again? Seriously? It's not like Torrence did a back-alley beatdown of Cameron.
Geez, it was an open handed shove in the face, and I'm betting Torrence won't pull a stunt like that again. The anger management classes seem like a way to placate those who think Steve should be drawn and quartered on the starting line in front of a live TV audience, all because of a schoolyard shove.
Torrence apologized, repeatedly. As far as paying or not paying the fine, I don't think $25k will put as big a dent in the Torrences' pocketbook as it would mine. But, that's for them to decide.
It's just sad that Palmer's and Diehl's teams won't be there. Short fields are never good. Especially at a race like the Winternationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back