Weak entry list for Winternationals (1 Viewer)

It's all sad because picture this: Mike Salinas starts his season in Houston, rolls in to NC-2, with a Sunday record of 56-0 and 14 wins, and HE IS OUT? Scott Palmer runs all 18, rolls into NC-2, with a Sunday record of 8-17, and 1 DNQ and HE IS IN? Unlikely, but how stupid would NHRA look if Mike does win 14 straight and can't challenge for anything more that what, 13th or 15th place. Both hypothetical seasons here are not crap where Palmer should be "replaced" as his season has merit. We just finished being forced to witness another countdown times 13, and it was hard enough to even take the points seriously before Indy. Now they take all the reason away? This is not the solution and NHRA is asleep at the wheel. The solution: Other than the few and far between run away points in all classes at all the race, Hight and Torrence type run away seasons will happen every now and again, but the solution is to throw the countdown away and if that won't happen copy Nascar's countdown qualification without all the coming bumps.
If he won 14 straight, he would qualify based on points.

I know that is none of our business, but wonder why Torrance has decided to to pass on the Winternationals?
Simple really. Not quite as big as the sit out back in the day but still sending the NHRA a message and the middle finger for their "keep drivers like Billy Torrence out of the countdown" rule change. So now your two time reigning TF champ will not be eligible for the countdown? They've made some head scratching decisions in the past but this one is just stupid.

Simple really. Not quite as big as the sit out back in the day but still sending the NHRA a message and the middle finger for their "keep drivers like Billy Torrence out of the countdown" rule change. So now your two time reigning TF champ will not be eligible for the countdown? They've made some head scratching decisions in the past but this one is just stupid.
I don't understand why it is called "keep Billy out of the countdown" since he would make the countdown under the new rules as well.

there always seems to be a disconnect between nhra and it's racers. that's too bad. one hitter stays away......eh'? maybe ok. more than one hitter stays away; pretty sure that's not
just a coincidence.

I don't understand why it is called "keep Billy out of the countdown" since he would make the countdown under the new rules as well.
You can't qualify for the countdown anymore if you don't run all 18 races before the countdown. Calling it that was just my own interpretation of the change. It's not smart at all and it's not going to increase participation. You either have the money to run the whole season or you don't. Pretty much gives the lesser teams no shot at a top 10 finish.

one hitter stays away......eh'? maybe ok. more than one hitter stays away; pretty sure that's not
just a coincidence.

And, it's especially bad when the team of the reigning Top Fuel champion decides to sit out the season opening 60th Winternationals.

It's all sad because picture this: Mike Salinas starts his season in Houston, rolls in to NC-2, with a Sunday record of 56-0 and 14 wins, and HE IS OUT? Scott Palmer runs all 18, rolls into NC-2, with a Sunday record of 8-17, and 1 DNQ and HE IS IN? Unlikely, but how stupid would NHRA look if Mike does win 14 straight and can't challenge for anything more that what, 13th or 15th place. Both hypothetical seasons here are not crap where Palmer should be "replaced" as his season has merit. We just finished being forced to witness another countdown times 13, and it was hard enough to even take the points seriously before Indy. Now they take all the reason away? This is not the solution and NHRA is asleep at the wheel. The solution: Other than the few and far between run away points in all classes at all the race, Hight and Torrence type run away seasons will happen every now and again, but the solution is to throw the countdown away and if that won't happen copy Nascar's countdown qualification without all the coming bumps.

I think you are misunderstanding how the new countdown works. You can get in 2 ways, points, or show up to all races and make a minimum of 2 attempts. There will be more than 10 cars in the clown-down next year.

IMO, This is a poor choice for Steve. From a simple marketing standpoint, after the Finals last year he already has an image problem. Then he doubles down on that by skipping the Winters just to stick to NHRA (if thats what he's doing)? It's not a good look for him at all. He can afford to take the hit fan base as he doesn't need to woo sponsors, but If he's sitting out to pout, this makes him look terrible.

As for the rule change, Billy isn't the only one who made the clown-down skipping races during the season in TF.

Last edited:
IMO, This is a poor choice for Steve. From a simple marketing standpoint, after the Finals last year he already has an image problem. Then he doubles down on that by skipping the Winters just to stick to NHRA (if thats what he's doing)? It's not a good look for him at all. He can afford to take the hit fan base as he doesn't need to woo sponsors, but If't sitting out to pout, this makes him look terrible.

As for the rule change, Billy isn't the only one who made the clown-down skipping races during the season in TF.
I don't think Steve really cares a whole lot about his image to be honest. What I thought he did care about was drag racing, driving a top fueler and having fun doing it. Only Steve knows.

You really should read the countdown press release again. In short if Mike was to win 14 straight he would be competing for the title. Sorry
you had to waste your time writing all that crap!

As has already been pointed out a few of you seem a little short on reading comprehension.

If you are in the top 10 in points at the conclusion of the US Nationals you are in the countdown. No matter if you run all the races or three of them.

If you run all the races and make at least two qualifying attempts and are not in the top 10 at the end of the US Nationals you will also be in the countdown in the position where you finished after Indy. 11th, 12th, whatever.

If Billy does the same thing this year he will be in just as he was last year.

What this new rule does is allow someone to race for a top 10 spot the last six races of the year. Scott Palmer said last year after Indy that if he couldn't finish top 10 there was no point in running the countdown races. This rule will allow him a chance to still stand on the stage Monday after Pomona.

Fernando Cuadra was not in the top 10 after Indy, but won some rounds during the last six races and would have (under the new rule) been in the top 10 at the end of the year.

And for those of you who really think a person could idle down the track for the first 18 races then suddenly run down Torrence, Hight, Erica or Andrew the last six and win the Championship, I've got a bridge for sale.

Alan

Steve has not yet announced why they are sitting out the first race, so we are just running on assumptions. More factual is their absence has led to Jeff Diehl to not be ready because of the help he gets from the Lagana's ( per his Facebook page) and Scott Palmer per Comp Plus. It could also be affecting other teams that Capco assists also. A few of our more "insider" matters here probably have more knowledge about this.

The other weird thing about Steve not running is that on the event schedule he is still listed as participating in the Mello Yellow autograph session on Saturday. I'm guessing that chair will be empty...

I don't think Steve really cares a whole lot about his image to be honest. What I thought he did care about was drag racing, driving a top fueler and having fun doing it. Only Steve knows.

I agree that he probably doesn't care about his image, and the sport could use a villain.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back