Wind Tunnel for TF Dragster (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member
I heard some interesting stories about a wind tunnel in Canada that is big enough to handle a TF car. It took one day to get car set up in tunnel and at one point the car was 75' up in the air on an overhead crane.:eek: Does anyone know more about this place or have any pictures????????

Snake said earlier this month that they had sent the T/F car to the wind tunnel in Canada.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

It is the 9x9 (meter) low speed wind tunnel at NRC (National Research Council) and is located at the Ottawa airport in Ottawa, Ontario. It is a closed loop, closed test section tunnel. The cars have to be lifted up with an overhead crane, raised about three stories, moved over the offices and control room, and lowered into the test section through a door in the ceiling. The tunnel is pretty good and can adequately handle the upwash of a Funny Car spoiler and apparantly has enough adjustability in it's balance pads to accept a 300" wheelbase (not sure how unless only the rear tires are mounted on the balance). It is NOT a good place to be in the winter as it is unheated (at least the last time I was there) and has a steel floor. Your feet are usually numb after about an hour of set-up time.

NRC Aerospace: 9 m x 9 m Low Speed Wind Tunnel

Terry

It is the 9x9 (meter) low speed wind tunnel at NRC (National Research Council) and is located at the Ottawa airport in Ottawa, Ontario. It is a closed loop, closed test section tunnel. The cars have to be lifted up with an overhead crane, raised about three stories, moved over the offices and control room, and lowered into the test section through a door in the ceiling. The tunnel is pretty good and can adequately handle the upwash of a Funny Car spoiler and apparantly has enough adjustability in it's balance pads to accept a 300" wheelbase (not sure how unless only the rear tires are mounted on the balance). It is NOT a good place to be in the winter as it is unheated (at least the last time I was there) and has a steel floor. Your feet are usually numb after about an hour of set-up time.

NRC Aerospace: 9 m x 9 m Low Speed Wind Tunnel

Terry

Now that is what I am talking about! Exactly what I was looking for.
Thanx Terry!

It is not hard to see why Snake said it was expensive. BTW, don't be confused by the term "low speed wind tunnel", it is low speed in aeronautical terms.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back