Sarge on Wind Tunnel - Cool! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
Tony was very honest during his discussion with Dave.
1. I got the impression that IF there is another DSR top fueler next year, it will not be a team funded by another person and "managed" by DSR.
2. He seemed VERY confident that they can set a National ET record at Pomona - gaining 20 points on Doug. Of course, the record is not final until the end of the event, so this could get very interesting! Tony gains 5 points on Doug in qualifying, goes one more round (or defeats Doug in the final) and sets the record on the final run. We then have . . . a tie! FIRE 'EM UP!!!
3. Tony on the new points system - I have to agree with him that the new system could not produce a more exciting end to the TF season. He made a great call in saying that the fans will decide if the new system will be a success.
Great interview - including a huge amount of respect for Doug and the Kalitta team.

Weird. I thought it was just the opposite. I thought his comments were a real slap in the face for the Skull Gear team. They definitely got more out of the deal than the Army team did? Made it sound like anybody could've done what Melanie’s team did this year. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously because I'm a fan of Melanie's. I dunno. He just really seemed smug and disparaging to his teammate's accomplishments.

Weird. I thought it was just the opposite. I thought his comments were a real slap in the face for the Skull Gear team. They definitely got more out of the deal than the Army team did? Made it sound like anybody could've done what Melanie’s team did this year. Maybe I'm taking it too seriously because I'm a fan of Melanie's. I dunno. He just really seemed smug and disparaging to his teammate's accomplishments.

Charles - it's about time that we can debate something! I didn't sense that Tony was criticising Mel's driving ability. Was it a slap at the Skull team - yes. Did Don make a mistake by putting Valvoline signage on Evan's cars at Indy - IMHO yes. That was probably the effective end of both of those deals. There are some hard feelings as teams realign.
I am also a huge fan of Mel - I hope Hogan can remain with her on the new Lucas/Knoll team. Unfortunately, that deal has the potential to become another big money/big ego train wreck. Rumors abound that there will be wholesale changes on a lot of teams after year end bonuses are paid. Guess we'll have plenty to talk about while waiting for January tests!

Man - I missed it.
If anyone finds it on the net or has DVR and can host it, that's be cool.

Of course, the record is not final until the end of the event, so this could get very interesting! Tony gains 5 points on Doug in qualifying, goes one more round (or defeats Doug in the final) and sets the record on the final run. We then have . . . a tie! FIRE 'EM UP!!!

A tie now that would be something...

Mike

PS Jim, Hogan is going across with Mel least that's what I read.

Weird. I thought it was just the opposite. I thought his comments were a real slap in the face for the Skull Gear team. They definitely got more out of the deal than the Army team did?

Tony has had the best car, for what, three years now. Anybody who aligned themselves with Schumacher should have benefitted greatly. Looks like maybe Mel and crew were benefitting too much and had the plug pulled.

I think the first tie breaker is qualifying order for the year, which has to be advantage shoe....

Exactly, the way he talked, Mel and her bunch would have went nowhere if it hadn't been for him and aj holding their hand.:rolleyes:

Seems like I remember it as round wins and then qualifying posistion. Not 100% sure.

Your right I had it backwards in my mind, that seems to happen a lot this days, plus it was wishfull thinking I would love to see Tony win it on a tie breaker..... that would truly be them come back story for all times.

He is a great guy but the fact is he slapped my team in the face so i feel. All i can say is they better set it this year cause were comming in and will try to take it away from them. We will see and 2007 is going to be great!!! Thanks Evan.

Hi, Evan.

Thanks again for stepping in and clearing the air. I do have a question for you. You probably can't answer this and I probably shouldn't even ask it, but I have been wondering...early on in the season when Melanie was on a tear and Tony was definitely struggling, was there ever any pressure put on you and Melanie's team to "slow down"? Don't get me wrong, I know that someone like you would never buckle to that kind of pressure, but I was just curious during Mel's winning streak if that was ever suggested. If this is a question with no answer, I understand. Thanks again for taking time to visit with us here. You are the best and Drag Racing in both sanctioning bodies is much the better for your involvement.

Tony has had the best car, for what, three years now. Anybody who aligned themselves with Schumacher should have benefitted greatly. Looks like maybe Mel and crew were benefitting too much and had the plug pulled.

Fair enough. However, I don't think it was Shoe's decision to "pull the plug" on the Skull Gear team. Seems to me, Evan made that call on his own. :eek: :) As for a benefit, it seems to me that's a two-way street. Richard Hogan's no dummy. He had Mel's car thundering for the first half of the year. If Tony and Alan didn't use the good data that car was generating to their advantage, whose fault is that? Tony also made a comment about Melanie beating him earlier this year and how it may be the round that prevents him from winning the championship. Again, whose fault is that? How about starting off "0 for 11" being the reason they're trailing in the points? I don't want to make a federal case out of this. I'm a Melanie fan and Tony's tone kinda bugged me.

He is a great guy but the fact is he slapped my team in the face so i feel. All i can say is they better set it this year cause were comming in and will try to take it away from them. We will see and 2007 is going to be great!!! Thanks Evan.

Evan, thanks for your continued support of Melanie and her team. That's a great group you have there. Now that you've announced your plans for them, any chance we'll see the Skull or Torco logos on other fuel cars in 2007? Specifically, I'd really like to see you stick with Zizzo Racing. TJ, Tony and the guys are good people. They've proven they can run hard and win. A lot of us would love to see them at more NHRA events next year. Whaddya think? :)

<sigh> Although there is much truth posted here, it is threads like this that make me ever so grateful my words are not in the public eye and scrutinized beyond belief. Oh, wait......they have been on a fairly regular basis. Nevermind. :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back