Just got a text from the track that Brittney Force just crash bad. (2 Viewers)

??? o_O So cars heading for the wall can be going that much faster prior to impact? Yes, it might prevent some of the side slaps but think of all the head-on or sharp angle wall impacts, this would NOT be a good idea.

I think what he is saying is move the concrete walls back 3 feet then put in a SAFER type wall system that sticks out 2-3 feet from that....then the track is the exact same width it is now...only safer

I don't think you can justify the cost of a safer barrier on a straight track ... in NASCAR they only put them in the sections prone to a near head on wreck. The angles just don't exist on a drag strip. That run, opposite wall twice, was almost as bad as you can get and the other safety devices protected the driver. Solution looking for a problem......

Even a world champion driver continues to learn .... the most effective safety device at any race is mounted between your ears.

She's doing just fine and a new car is being readied for Phoenix. :)[/QUOTE
I don't think you can justify the cost of a safer barrier on a straight track ... in NASCAR they only put them in the sections prone to a near head on wreck. The angles just don't exist on a drag strip. That run, opposite wall twice, was almost as bad as you can get and the other safety devices protected the driver. Solution looking for a problem......

Even a world champion driver continues to learn .... the most effective safety device at any race is mounted between your ears.[/QUOTE

Easy to say just move each wall back 3 feet. How many tracks would it possible to have that one.

There are some tracks where you are so far away from the track you would have room.
But those tracks are also the worst to be a spectator. So mom comes to mind. Looks like you are in the next county.

Topeka you are close to the track on the west side. But the pit side is very far back from the track. The only mid track grandstand, at the bottom seats all you can see to the roof of the door cars and the wing on the dragsters.

I am biased by Bandimere where you are close to the aftion.

And the cost to tearout the old concrete wall, put in a new concrete wall and the foam wall would be a lot of money.

Some tracks use Jersey barriers which might be moved but most are poured
concrete.

I think what he is saying is move the concrete walls back 3 feet then put in a SAFER type wall system that sticks out 2-3 feet from that....then the track is the exact same width it is now...only safer

Thanks.... that is what I was getting at.

Safer Barrier would not have changed anything on her crash. She made a Major Driver Error. She got back into the throttle before she had straightened it out. You can't do that and expect a good outcome. She was lucky the car did not hit the wall straight on. If you look at the wrecked car the rear was still intact as was 2/3 of the front. The chassis, which is a in-house built Force chassis, worked great as did all the other safety devices which all contributed to her not having any major injuries. I'm sure she has learned a big lesson and will put it into her drivers book.
As far as safer barriers you have to look at how T/F & F/C chassis are built. They are built to come apart in a crash to safeguard the driver. I can't think of a T/F or F/C crash in years where a safer barrier would have made much difference.
Am very happy Brittany only had minor injuries and will recover and be back in her car at the next race and a much smarter driver.

I agree she made a driver error, however the angle of impact at the wall was one of the few times a safer barrier would of worked. She hit flat against the wall where a safer barrier would of absorbed the impact. Also it was a Schumacher chassis.
I agree in most TF FC accidents SB would be useless or cause more harm them good.

These Monday Morning experts never fail to amaze me. Put yourself in her seat (though, you may have a hard time even making it through the burnout without soiling your drawers!), you are the reining world champ, it is first round, you start losing traction, don't know where your opponent is, everything is happening in milliseconds yet seems like an eternity, your brain is thinking dozens of things all at once - " what is going on....where is he in the other lane......I CAN'T loose first round.....recover, recover, recover.....ok, we're good, now stab it again to stay in front and win....". No, she certainly does not have the experience that her Dad does but these ain't super comp cars. I can absolutely see where her adrenaline would have been pumping so much that having the patience to wait the car out until it is dead straight would be tough. I have not been a John Force fan ever since Castrol took the money from all the sportsman racers plus Larry Morgan and gave it all to Force, but I can certainly see what Britney was up against that caused the crash.

Where do you get your information that it was a Schumacher chassis? Even on the Pomona entry list, it says that her car was a 2017 Force.

and on the ladder it said Brittany won.................It was said right after the crash, post 10 also asked the same thing.......bad reporting?

Samuel. "So move the damn walls back 3 feet".

1. So are going to mail checks to the 24 tracks to pay for the cost if moving the walls?

2. Easier just put big rubber bumpers on the cars so they have padding when they hit the wall or hit the other car. It works for the bumper car rides you see at the state fairs.
And Pomona is located at the fairplex.

3. Some people say they need to slow the cars down. Big rubber bumpers would slow them down.

Looks to me like driver error. She didn't let the car straighten up. All I can say is, "welcome to the club." Her sisters have gone through this before and her dad, countless times and the crash in Dallas almost ended his career. It's all in the will to win. Too bad she didn't know Haddock smoked them at the start. I swear they need to put side view mirrors on these cars.
The crash in Dallas was not driver error, it was chassis failure!

Where's Franklin when you need him?

Face it, it seems that the tracks themselves are operating on a razor thin margin, save for those tracks that are directly associated with a NASCAR facility (Vegas, etc.). This is an expensive fix for something that doesn't need fixing. In NASCAR, at 4 different points in the track, the cars are purposely heading towards a wall. Drag racing, not so much. Even in NASCAR, I don't believe they're installed on the straightaway.

Mike I believe that this is the "driver error" incident being referred to. Car pointed at wall, header flames roof high.

These Monday Morning experts never fail to amaze me. Put yourself in her seat (though, you may have a hard time even making it through the burnout without soiling your drawers!), you are the reining world champ, it is first round, you start losing traction, don't know where your opponent is, everything is happening in milliseconds yet seems like an eternity, your brain is thinking dozens of things all at once - " what is going on....where is he in the other lane......I CAN'T loose first round.....recover, recover, recover.....ok, we're good, now stab it again to stay in front and win....". No, she certainly does not have the experience that her Dad does but these ain't super comp cars. I can absolutely see where her adrenaline would have been pumping so much that having the patience to wait the car out until it is dead straight would be tough. I have not been a John Force fan ever since Castrol took the money from all the sportsman racers plus Larry Morgan and gave it all to Force, but I can certainly see what Britney was up against that caused the crash.

So are you saying it wasn't driver error?

I realize in today's culture we have to be to some extreme or get offended. It's ok to point out an error, it doesn't mean hate. I don't think anyone is saying she's a bad driver. She messed up on this one and it bit her. It happens.

Even a world champion driver continues to learn .... the most effective safety device at any race is mounted between your ears.

SAFER barriers line the full perimeter of NASCAR race tracks, even on the straightaways. Their drivers will never hit a concrete wall again.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back