Route66 fired everyone and may not open in 09? (1 Viewer)

Nitro_force_fan

Nitro Member
Hey guys i just read on another board that Route 66 cleaned house and got rid of everyone and may not be open in 09 an no national event. Has anyone else heard anything on this? Be ashame to have that awsome track sitting there going to waste. Anyone?....Joe

Hey guys i just read on another board that Route 66 cleaned house and got rid of everyone and may not be open in 09 an no national event. Has anyone else heard anything on this? Be ashame to have that awsome track sitting there going to waste. Anyone?....Joe

The track laid off the management staff, but I didn't hear anything about not re-opening in 2009. I think they will adjust their schedule next year and not have non profitable events through out the year. The NHRA national event is the tracks best opportunity to make money, so I highly doubt what you are saying about not having a national event.

The track laid off the management staff, but I didn't hear anything about not re-opening in 2009. I think they will adjust their schedule next year and not have non profitable events through out the year. The NHRA national event is the tracks best opportunity to make money, so I highly doubt what you are saying about not having a national event.

I sure hope they remain open,me and my dad planned on going next year to the National event for the 1st time there,looks like a really nice facility!

I met a guy who worked there a couple of years ago. And he said that when the France Family Built the Speedway and assumed control of the entire property, the Dragstrip hardly got any attention whatsoever! Maybe the France family can sell off the Dragstrip to Bruton Smith???

My understanding is that they are restructuring. the National Event WILL happen. Most of the other stuff is up in the air.

Alan

My understanding is that they are restructuring. the National Event WILL happen. Most of the other stuff is up in the air.

Alan

This is exactly what I heard. The National Event, Lucas Oil Event, and the proposed ADRL event are firm everything else is on the table for review.

I was talking to local racers yesterday about the facility and employees. These racers were very negative about the crew and their actions.
Comments included manager and some crew going to NHRA strip champions race. Seems more time was invested in liqiud refreshments than racing.
Another comment was that at '66 test and tunes, the crew spent most of the time at the starting line bsing.
Hoping this is house cleaning, not cut backs.
Lee
Nitroclovers

We've been up there the last couple of years and participated in the Match Race Mania deal. The track itself was awesome as usual, but the process of getting teched-in was an absolute atrocity both years. The personnel had to literally read every single detail out of the rule book, indicating a severe lack in training. This past year, two guys spent close to 5-minutes looking for the driveshaft loop, and they still never found it. My crew chief ended up having to tell them where it was. :eek:

Sean D

Alan

My guess is that if they need any help, the city might pitch in because the national event is such a big boost to the economy there.

What's always suprised me is Rt. 66 is one of the Top 3 tracks in the Country, Chicago's the Number #3 market in the Country. Yet everyone time I've been to that track the Attendance is modest at best! Even since they dropped that 2nd Natl. I've never seen that place even close to full!

Until this year, advertising was terrible. A small ad, 2x2, in the paper just days before the race, a few radio ads on 1 or 2 stations.
This year they, someone, had Hillary and team on the 5 o'clock news. I don't think they started the car for the news team. Too bad!
After Joey Chitwood came to manage the speedways things at the strip went down hill.
Lee
Nitroclovers

Sean D....

Did they even Find the driveshaft????

d'kid

Dude, it was ridiculous. The last time I have been that upset during any tech inspection was when I used to run Super Gas and Super Comp and the runarounds you can get there. Just be consistent, ya' know?

Our current car is an altered for Pete's sake, so there's just not much there. Get down on one knee, look under the car and "Ta-Da"! Should have taken all of 3-seconds..........

Sean D

Kinda why I was chuckling... we were running a 565 rat in what's now ta/fc in the early 80's... a points meet no less, and tech couldn't figure how much we were suppose to weigh... his calculator kept coming up with different answers...

long ago, at a track long gone...

d'kid

and tech couldn't figure how much we were suppose to weigh... his calculator kept coming up with different answers...

d'kid

Wow................

Here we are 20-some years later and it appears we've come a long way, huh?! :rolleyes:

We got this car a few years back from the Richmond area. Are you close to that? One of the guys who is now a partner of mine bought it from a couple of brothers named Dostal, so I was wondering if you ever heard of them. They said they raced the car quite a bit, but I don't ever remember reading about it or anything. The car was built in the early '90's I think.

Sean D

I was told that the France group has no interest in the Drag Strip at all and they would like to tear it down and use the land for a private motor home parking area for the yuppie Nascrap drivers. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back