news from the track (1 Viewer)

Vern

Nitro Member
Just got a phone call that they had crackel fest cars on the Track.. one them thottle stuck and had a crash. hit a tow truck and 4-5 other cars on the track

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. If you are only going to crank the car and rev it up a couple of times- why not just leave the coupler out?

I think they was push starting them on the return road then driving them down track and parking them at the finish line..

All of the Cacklefest dragsters were pushed down from the top end, requiring a coupler... none were static starts!

$hit happens.

Bad thing is... NHRA will get *****-slapped over this, an incident that could have happened anywhere and anytime with any car on the grounds. The opinion will be (to the regular Joe) why are they running those "old" cars.

Yea right before the finals ..was bad timing for sure..I just hope no one was hurt..I love them old cars and they are geat to hear..but that was bad news to happen then.

Yea right before the finals ..was bad timing for sure..I just hope no one was hurt..I love them old cars and they are geat to hear..but that was bad news to happen then.

There was a long period of time before the final round was ready to be run, it was a planned exhibition/Cacklefest of vintage racecars. It was the 50th Winternationals with a special selection of racecars, some had previously won the Winternationals.

Maybe everyone would have enjoyed sitting in the grandstands with nothing going on the track, but this is a show, a form of entertainment and the spectators who bought a ticket for this event got their money's worth.

The report I got, from someone who was there, said it was the "Addict" T/F car, who had the stuck trottle. It hit a truck and then the Fuel Altered. And, the one lady went to the hospital, don't know how badly injured.

After the incident happened, they shut off all the cars, which prevented Big Dady from getting to idle down the track in Swamp Rat V.

And Ma Green is right, it was "The Addict" nostalgia top fueler, it hit "Pure Heaven" and ran up underneath a push vehicle pickup truck. 1 person injured (did not appear to be too serious, at least not life threatening).

Last edited:
I took these and there were also some on the Los Angeles CBS news tv station affiliate as well.
(a producer from the newscast was in the stands spectating and took some pics with his still camera)

50thWinternatsSunday078.jpg

50thWinternatsSunday082.jpg

An unfortunate cacklefest incident occured injurying one during the NHRA 50th Winternationals February 14, 2010, accourding to Los Angeles CBS television affiliate KCAL TV. Thoughts and prayers for all those effected, KCAL video can be found at the web link below

Video Library - cbs2.com

:(

Last edited:
This was posted on Header Flames but since you can't read that and this is the true story. Thank you

The Addict wasnt even going to go to Pomona but with Rocky not being well NHRA asked to have the car come out as it was the runner up to Warren-Coburn-Miller in 68.

Long time friend of mine Rod Hynes who worked for Rocky at Childs & Albert for 20+ years and is like his dad took the car out with Jim.
Every thing was fine Saturday on fire-up , no problems.
On the push start Sunday down the track toward the starting line , then making the sweeping right hand turn onto the return road, Rod told me somthing wasnt right.

Ellen & I were in the stands about 1000'. I went down to the fence. Rod was coming down & I could see he was shaking his head.
He pulled over right in front of us just tipping one of speakers over , getting it up by the gaurdrail out of traffic. I could see he was pulling on the brake franticly and his other hand waving at the NHRA official he had a problem. He then would reach down as he kept trying to get the fuel shutoff to work. The NHRA offcial gave him a sign to get the hell off the pushroad.
By this time the clucth pack had locked up and he was burning the brakes up trying to keep it from moving.
HE DID NOT TAP THE THROTTLE.

I listened to a few old racers sayin he could have -should have.
One famous old racer reeking of booze said the car was **** the driver ****.(go back to the north).
Some said he should have put it into or along the gaurdrail.
Promblem is it would have just picked up speed running along the gaurdrail into the big speakers along there & into a crowd that gatherd under the score board.Maybe the speakers could have hit the throttle jamming it open .
A lot of what if's.
What if that NHRA official had a small halon extinguisher to give the Injector a puff & put it out.
Coulda-woulda-shoulda

Rod chose to stuff it under a pick up truck. Dereck Bowers truck who's with the Mondello & Matsubara Fiat.It drove under his truck picking it up. The Addicts tires started smoking pushing Derecks truck forward spinning it 180 degrees around hitting Pure Heaven & denting the bumper on a 61 Chevy wagon pushcar.

Derricks friend Monique was in the back of his pick up and got knocked down hitting her head & leg. She was takin to the hospital for ck out & x-rays.
Ellen talked to Dereck and said she is ok but bruised & sore.

Coulda-woulda-shoulda
Everyone has an oppinion.
When Cory Mack popped the blower at the Winters years ago and couldnt shut the car off waving franticly he put it in the sand at somthing like 180mph helplessly.

Rod has driven funnys cars, dragsters & fuel altereds.
Hindsight is easy after the fact when you can rationalize everything for 5-10 minutes , make a game plan to do this or that.When your not the one strapped into a 1200 hp nitro machine its easy to second guess.
Coulda-woulda-shoulda

Ironic.
I see 1000 hp cars driving through the pits after coming down the return road. The pits are filled with 1000's & 1000's of people. What if one of those cars has a throttle mal****ion?
On the brakes,trying to shut it off, steering it into God knows where.
At least the Addict was out on the track area.

Rod chose to sacrifice the car rather than people
And this is when his life long friend Rocky is very sick & could not make the show.

Coulda-woulda-shoulda
Everyones an arm chair quarterback on monday.

Jeff, please do not think I'm directing this toward you.
I know your resume, you've been there & done that.I am only giving my oppinion from one who had a front row seat & talked with Rod & Jim. And letting everyone know what I witnessed.

No one was in the car except Rod for those scary 10-15 seconds
Coulda-woulda-shoulda

THE FUEL SHUT OFF & BY-PASS 3 WAY WAS IN THE OFF POSITION!

Crap even the TV news had to get the blood & gore on their 11 o clock worthless news. Sorry 11 0 crap news, no blood-no gore. Keep looking though for other victims you can exploit.

Stormy

Monique called & talked with Rod and is doing ok. She told Rod in hindsight that taking road of least damage to people was to stuff it under the truck. Unfortunately she was in the back. I'm so relived Monique is ok and talked with Rod.

Rod said from his vantage point that the path of less destruction was to sacrifice himself & the car.
It's on tape from the push truck what went on if anyone thinks they have the better answer.
Rod tweaked the brake handel and pushed the master through trying to stop the car. Once the car went under truck he was still pulling on the fuel shut off but because the body had jammed against it it tweaked the cable. The tank was still 3/4 full.
Rod said amazingly the chassis looks ok just bent wheels, tin, radius rods but is on a real downer because of Rocky's passing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back