Not one mention of the U.S. Natl's on the local news... (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
This morning as I'm just about to leave the Motel, I had one of the local news stations on. They had these two guys talking about "Things going on this weekend in Indy". They mentioned the White River festival, the Rib fest and some other indoor festivity! Not one mention of the Drags! Pathetic...

This morning as I'm just about to leave the Motel, I had one of the local news stations on. They had these two guys talking about "Things going on this weekend in Indy". They mentioned the White River festival, the Rib fest and some other indoor festivity! Not one mention of the Drags! Pathetic...

I couldn't agree more. We have more people here making a living off of motorsports than arguably anywhere else in the world. Our own local media doesn't show much interest. The only conclusion to this is there must not be enough drugs, and violence in the background of our great sport to generate buzz.

Or maybe the exclusion of great sponsors to promote "title sponsors" has created contract situations that cause conflict in media networks.

Don't recall seeing any NHRA advertising on cable either. At least I see Norwalk ads on cable when they have a national event,but that probably comes out of the Bader's pockets not NHRA's

Normally they do cover it here. This morning there was no mention. The 11pm news showed that it was raining and interviewed a few people

Wow.. completely different fomr here in NC.,.. All we see or here every few mins on tv is about the races coming to Z-max...

When I was at Indy, it was the top sports story on the local news but they used ESPN footage as opposed to their own. And when I got to the track there was ONE local TV news truck and no more than a dozen cars in the parking lot saved for the media near the tower. I agree it was pathetic.

Do you think this could be laid at the feet of NHRA as far as a lack of reps going to the local media BEFORE the race? If you want coverage, you need to inform and stroke the editors and sports directors.

While the long rain delay was going on Saturday, I did see the channel 8 (indy's cbs affiliate) news truck parked in the tower parking lot. So, at least 1 station was at the track on Saturday

Wayne, if you ever went to Gainesville you would see an entirely different mentality! The entire city rolls out the Red Carpet for the Drags there!

True, but there's absolutely nothing else going on in or around Gainesville that time of year.

When I woke up this morning, one of the local stations here in Indy (can't remember which one) showed the runs of all of the top qualifiers in the pro categories.

Reminds me of the situation in the Los Angeles area for Pomona I and II. The Times might have seven or eight paragraphs and a photo (usually of the Forces) on the Wed. before qualifying. Channel 5 always sends out a reporter, but unfortunately her (Gayle Anderson, god bless her) grasp of drag racing is lacking, but her enthusiasm is not. But, I must say Ch. 5 somehow manages to get whatever team she is interviewing to do a fire-up well before the rules state you can (I'm sure with NHRA cooperation). I always remind the Times with emails to their "motorsports" reporter that Shav Glick is rolling in his grave over their lack of coverage and total lack of knowledge on drag racing. Oh, but let there be a crash, or a spectacular fireball, and it's on every channel. Oh, well, end of rant. :D

I was suprized , Chicago does more for RT66, I tired of watching the rib guy every 20 mins on the Fox netwrk Station this morning while deciding if I was going to the track today

well as it turns out , I headed home back to the the windy city and will have to go through nitro withdrawal untill next year

Last edited:
The U.S. Nationals is not a big deal in their home town. How can you expect it to be in the rest of the country? Drop all the NHRA owned (not leased) tracks and you have a better product.

The key is having a sports editor who's interested in drag racing. If he or she isn't, you won't hear diddley about it. When our local paper's editor left for a different position a few years ago, not one word about drag racing has been in the paper since. There's usually something about NASCAR, although it'll most likely be a 2-column article in the lower right corner of page 8.

But even a rinky-dink chili cookoff or the opening of a new Mexican restaurant will make the front page every time.

When I was in Germany, they had an english language newspaper and the entire sports section was motorsports. Even some gossip about some formula 1 guy, and it seemed like everyone was into it.

Motorsports seemed to be their stick and ball deal.

Yes, I have noticed at Pomona the Times does a good job as does the papers in the inland empire but tv news coverage during the sports report is zero. It always makes me mad.

Inept NHRA.
Whoever they have heading their PR department is where the problem is.
A good PR person will make sure the news has the proper footage to show, and stick some cash in their pockets if need be..

All of that work should have been done months ago, but it seems the NHRA sees themselves through rose colored glasses and being too big, too famous and world renown to improve.

What's new?

I made my only Indy visit in 1981 and the only reference to the event I saw on local TV was to mention that state troopers were directing the traffic.

I seen one segment on the morning news where a news lady was interviewing Robert Hight and she got to drive his traxxas fc. She ran it under a car and got it stuck.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back