Johnson out-duels Fuller Day one at YAS Marina (1 Viewer)

ProNitro Pete

Nitro Member
News From Don Schumacher Racing and Yas Marina Circuit

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JOHNSON, JR. OUT-DUELS FULLER IN DAY ONE OF YAS DRAG FESTIVAL

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (March 19, 2010) – Tommy Johnson, Jr. scored two wins Friday evening at Yas Drag Centre behind the wheel of his Yas Marina Circuit Top Fuel dragster during the Inaugural Yas Drag Festival. Teammate Rod Fuller notched one win light during the three match races in Abu Dhabi. Johnson also posted the quickest elapsed time of the day at 3.899-seconds.

Johnson, a nine-time NHRA winner with wins in both Top Fuel and Funny Car, outraced Fuller on Friday’s opening match using a run of 3.917 seconds at 499.17 kph (310.16 mph) to hold off Fuller’s lap of 3.988 at 486.78 Johnson’s speed was the fastest of the day. Fuller, a seven-time NHRA Top Fuel winner, evened the score during the second race at the spectacular Yas drag strip clocking a run of 3.908 at 497.48 to edge Johnson’s 3.938 at 488.27. In the rubber match, Johnson powered to the win with a pass of 3.899 at 496.72, while Fuller’s teal and white rail lost traction and slowed to a pass of 4.177 at 488.17.
“This is exactly what we came here to do,” Johnson said. “We wanted to put on a great show for everyone here at Yas Marina and really show the world what Top Fuel drag racing is all about. It was a great day.”

Johnson set both ends of the Yas Drag Centre track records at 3.899 seconds and 499.17 kph. On Saturday, Johnson and Fuller look to clock runs in the 3.8-second range and surpass the magical 500-kph mark. “We made three great side-by-side runs in a country that has never seen Top Fuel racing,” Fuller said. “The crowd response was overwhelming. Now, our goal is to go out and break the 500-kph mark on Saturday. It would be so cool if both Tommy (Johnson) and I could put a 500-kph speed on the board on the same run.”

The Yas Drag Festival continues on Saturday with the two Yas Marina Circuit Top Fuel dragsters scheduled to make runs at 6:30, 8:30 and 10 p.m.

Run 1
Johnson, Jr. (.065) 3.917 ET, 499.17 KPH def. Fuller (.063) 3.988 ET, 486.78 KPH

Run 2
Fuller (.083) 3.908 ET, 497.48 KPH def. Johnson, Jr. (.060) 3.938 ET, 488.27 KPH

Run 3
Johnson, Jr. (.083) 3.899 ET, 496.72 KPH def. Fuller (.099) 4.177 ET, 488.17 KPH

Johnson%20Jr%20Fuller%20Day%201.jpg

Wow!

That is a remarkable start for new cars, a new track, new team...etc

Just wow!

What distance are they racing? 300 meters (984 ft)?

I like the speeds! I know, when NHRA reduces the speeds to go back to 1/4 mile by allowing only 3 wheels ;) they can switch to kph! Since no one ever noticed the difference in 1320 ft and 1000 ft I'm sure no one will notice the units change! :D

News From Don Schumacher Racing
and Yas Marina Circuit

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FULLER TAKES TWO OF THREE MATCH RACES ON DAY TWO OF YAS DRAG FESTIVAL

The inaugural Yas Drag Festival a great success as both Tommy Johnson, Jr.
and Rod Fuller score three wins.

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (March 20, 2010) – “Hot Rod” Fuller was the big winner on day two of the Yas Drag Festival taking two of three races against teammate Tommy Johnson, Jr. Both Fuller and Johnson finished the inaugural event at Yas Drag Centre with three wins each.

“There are so many people who made this great event a success,” Fuller said. “The Yas Marina team and everyone at DSR all worked together and now we have thousands of new Top Fuel fans. This is a great start for NHRA drag racing in Abu Dhabi.

After earning one win light in Friday’s three races, Fuller evened the score at two wins each by powering to a run of 3.898 seconds at 499.97 mph to hold off Johnson’s performance of 3.92 at 496. In round five, Johnson raced his white and teal Yas Marina dragster to the win with another 3.92-second burst, this time at 499.41 mph. Fuller’s dragster had mechanical issues and slowed to a pass of 4.33 at 346. On the final race of the first event at the Yas Drag Centre, Fuller carded a run of 3.893 at 492.67 to edge Johnson’s 3.92-seconds bracket car. Both drivers finished the two-day event with three wins.

“We’ve worked for months to come here and put on a good show and I really think we did that,” Johnson said. “This entire event has been beyond my wildest imagination. What a great two days of drag racing.”

“This has been a fantastic experience at a fantastic facility,” president and owner of Don Schumacher Racing Don Schumacher added. “The people here at Yas Marina have been absolutely wonderful and I encourage everyone to visit this beautiful Yas Marina Circuit facility and the great city of Abu Dhabi.”

The upcoming schedule of the two Yas Marina Circuit Top Fuel dragsters will be announced in the near future. Yas Marina Circuit is the site of the final event on the 2010 Formula 1 schedule. The Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is scheduled for Nov. 12-14, 2010. The spectacular facility also will host the first race of the FIA GT1 World Championships, April 16-17, 2010.

Run 1
Fuller 3.898 ET, 499.97 KPH
Johnson, Jr. 3.92 ET, 496 KPH

Run 2
Johnson, Jr. 3.92 ET, 499.41 KPH
Fuller 4.33 ET, 346 KPH

Run 3
Fuller 3.893 ET, 492.67 KPH
Johnson, Jr. 3.920 ET, 496.11 KPH

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back