Firebird's Bad rep? (1 Viewer)

mltdwn12

Nitro Member
OK, the desert at Firebird isn't as pretty as some of the tracks with real trees around :p but what are the big negatives to Firebird? Now the restrooms have never been that great, but what else? I've always heard a lot of bad stuff about the track surface, but they always seem to run good there except for a few instances. (e.g. Pro Stock 2 or 3 years ago!) I went back and looked at the final qualifying in Top Fuel for all of the events this year; of the 8 events, Firebird had the quickest #1 qualifying time @ 3.733. They also had the 3rd most qualifying runs in the 3.70's with 4, only Pomona (10) and Kansas (5) had more. Firebird also had the 2nd quickest TF field. So I'm curious what else everyone doesn't like about Firebird? I've been going there since the 1st race in '85, so maybe I'm just used to bad!

OK, the desert at Firebird isn't as pretty as some of the tracks with real trees around :p but what are the big negatives to Firebird? Now the restrooms have never been that great, but what else? I've always heard a lot of bad stuff about the track surface, but they always seem to run good there except for a few instances. (e.g. Pro Stock 2 or 3 years ago!) I went back and looked at the final qualifying in Top Fuel for all of the events this year; of the 8 events, Firebird had the quickest #1 qualifying time @ 3.733. They also had the 3rd most qualifying runs in the 3.70's with 4, only Pomona (10) and Kansas (5) had more. Firebird also had the 2nd quickest TF field. So I'm curious what else everyone doesn't like about Firebird? I've been going there since the 1st race in '85, so maybe I'm just used to bad!

I liked Firebird better than anything NHRA owned. If the tribe is taking it over, look out, nothing but a bunch of crooks.

Oppressive heat that was horrible for the track and hard on attending any race between May and October... I know a bunch of those that will disagree with me, or comment that Tucson's not much better, but since the question was put out there....

I think it's probably easier to figure out what's good at Firebird. :(
As a racer, the track layout, surface and shutdown area are my main concern. Pit parking is second....(never been to Houston), but some tracks..oh my God!
I always try to judge a racetrack for the fan comforts. Ironically, some of the smaller tracks actually have better facilities (I.e., parking, food, bathrooms, seating, etc) than some of the mega-tracks.
In my travels, I have found that tracks are either racer OR fan friendly, but rarely ever both.

Having never been to Firebird, I can only believe what I hear and when both the racer and fan experiences are very poor, it's not a place Id want to race at.

My top five best and worst tracks.

Best:
Norwalk
Maple Grove
Epping (because its home)
Atco
Maryland International (gotta love the Millers)

Worst:
Sumerduck Dragway
Island Dragway
Sears Point
Pomona
Columbus

Its not the lack of trees, the desert has its own charm that grows on you like Stockholm syndrome. Compared to most other national event facilities its poorly maintained, it seems like they put just enough money into the track to keep the national event but not improve it. It's on par with Indy. SIR in Tucson had/has? a better track surface, nicer pits, and the track staff was always glad to see you. If you were going to take a newbie or a sponsor to their first drag race, Firebird would be last on your list.

S/F
D

Compared to Vegas, Bristol, Charlotte and Chicago, Firebird is a dump! But if you have Ben to Seattle or Memphis, it wasn't too bad!

I think Bandimere is a good example of constant reinvestment in your facility.

S/F
D

As a racer, the track layout, surface and shutdown area are my main concern. Pit parking is second....(never been to Houston), but some tracks..oh my God!
I always try to judge a racetrack for the fan comforts. Ironically, some of the smaller tracks actually have better facilities (I.e., parking, food, bathrooms, seating, etc) than some of the mega-tracks.
In my travels, I have found that tracks are either racer OR fan friendly, but rarely ever both.

Having never been to Firebird, I can only believe what I hear and when both the racer and fan experiences are very poor, it's not a place Id want to race at.

Best:
Norwalk
Maple Grove
Atco

Worst:
Sumerduck Dragway
Island Dragway
Sears Point
Pomona
Columbus

I can only talk from a fan perspective but I'm not sure Sonoma deserves a place in the worst five! Although I understand the sportsman pit arrangements are a bit funky around the circuit.

Rather than bagging out the venues we have, in this day and age where we suffer many venues closing I think we should be supporting the ones that remain! Wishing a venue closed isn't going to magic up a new one in its place.

Best:
Norwalk
Maple Grove
Atco

Worst:
Sumerduck Dragway
Island Dragway
Sears Point
Pomona
Columbus

I can't see Pomona in the worst list, it is a step below Norwalk and the Smith tracks. Maple Grove is a mud hole. Epping, we will see after the race this year. MIR would be ahead of anything NHRA owns.

I can't see Pomona in the worst list, it is a step below Norwalk and the Smith tracks. Maple Grove is a mud hole. Epping, we will see after the race this year. MIR would be ahead of anything NHRA owns.

I was at MIR in 2007 for the IHRA National Event and I was NOT impressed. Hopefully a lot has changed since then.

I was at MIR in 2007 for the IHRA National Event and I was NOT impressed. Hopefully a lot has changed since then.

Unlike NHRA, the Millers make improvements every year. That would be the bonus money going back into the track that Compton, Light, and their cronies split at the end each year.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back