Firebird holds a special place in Pro Stock ace Stanfield's heart (1 Viewer)

PHOENIX (Feb. 20) - MAVTV Pro Stock driver Greg Stanfield will bring momentum and fond memories to Firebird Int'l Raceway this weekend during the NHRA Arizona Nationals, the second stop in the 24-event Mello Yello Drag Racing Series.

Stanfield is coming off a semifinal appearance at the season-opening race in Pomona, Calif., where he came within eight inches of reaching the final round.

Firebird holds a special place in Stanfield's heart because it's where he clinched two Super Stock championships in the 1990s, and he secured both titles by winning the race.

"That track has a lot of history for me; it has a good meaning to me," Stanfield said. "I'm excited to go there, and I like that place. We'll do the best we can this time through and see what happens."

Stanfield, a four-time Super Stock champion, came to Firebird in 1992 and 1993 with the title within reach.

"We had to win the race to win the championship, and we did it at Firebird both times," Stanfield said. "The place will always be special to me.

"It was just one of those deals where it started clicking. You do the best you can, and whatever happens, happens. We really didn't worry about the outcome until toward the end. We were like, 'Man, we might have a chance.' Two years in a row, that was really good. It was exciting."

Stanfield has also racked up four Pro Stock semifinal appearances in Phoenix, including last year, when he lost to eventual race winner Jason Line. Stanfield also reached the semi's in 2010, 2009, and 2006.

He'll bring his barebones three-man crew to Phoenix looking to improve on his results in Pomona. Stanfield, his brother Mike, and crewmember Mike Stryker may be the hardest-working team in the Pro Stock pits. They occasionally get help from other teams, and Stanfield is appreciative of the support.

"Everybody kind of looks after each other out here," Stanfield said. "If somebody needs help, they jump right in. It's a good group of people."

Qualifying for the NHRA Arizona Nationals gets under way at 2 p.m. PST Friday from Firebird Int'l Raceway with two sessions on tap. Qualifying continues on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. with Sunday's eliminations under way at 11 a.m. ESPN2 will air the qualifying show at 1 a.m. EST on Sunday and the eliminations show at 8 p.m. Sunday.

More...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back