John force (2 Viewers)

Not getting an update is hugely concerning
I preface this with saying to take this worth a grain of salt, but as a combat aidsman (think the guy that would be under a medic/corpsman), im guessing he was knocked out from the lateral G, and was coming to when the SS was there. That sit up on the gurney is symbolic of a boxer coming to and not realizing the fight is over, or wondering what the heck they're doing laying down in a boxing ring.

The fact they loaded and transported him with no c-collar and visible neck muscle and extremities muscles movement are a GREAT sign imo and what lead me to a knockout.

I'm sure the ICU called a geriatric doc to eval, but understand, this is kind of unprecedented. Afaik, John is the oldest professional athlete alive to experience this type of trauma, so there's no data, no training in medical school, emt school, etc for treating or clearing him with a goal of a return to competition, so I imagine he and the medical team will examine and study everything as a due diligence, and that may mean a couple days. Now if Thursday or Friday comes and we have no info, I'll start being concerned.

Last edited:
I wonder if something happened during the explosion that cut the cables to the chutes. Did think it was strange that the chutes didn't deploy. Scary accident.....
My guess is the explosion damaged the parachute system and the safety system. Damage to the air cylinder or damage between the handle(s) and cables. Once the body blew, I doubt John could reach the handles if he was able to even try while trying to steer because they would've been too high. It does look like the left pilot chute was starting to peek out, but idk.

I wonder what that side impact and the front end hit registered on a G-meter.
Thankfully, the padding inside the roll cage and the HANS device kept his head from snapping sideways. The human neck is not meant to bend so far to the side.
On that note, didn’t the padding inside the cage come about after Eric Medlen’s crash?

I wonder what that side impact and the front end hit registered on a G-meter.
Thankfully, the padding inside the roll cage and the HANS device kept his head from snapping sideways. The human neck is not meant to bend so far to the side.
On that note, didn’t the padding inside the cage come about after Eric Medlen’s crash?
I believe you are correct on the padding. The next event after Eric's accident was an IHRA event in San Antonio. Several big show cars were there. I remember Cruz and some guy looking very closely at the roll cage in his car.

You would think that we would get better updates sooner, what with social media and all. I recall that there were no updates on Angie Smith last year for what seemed like days, and the longer it took, the more concerned I got. It sounds like Force is probably OK, everything considered. But sheesh, it's John Force, so how about keeping everyone informed?

You would think that we would get better updates sooner, what with social media and all. I recall that there were no updates on Angie Smith last year for what seemed like days, and the longer it took, the more concerned I got. It sounds like Force is probably OK, everything considered. But sheesh, it's John Force, so how about keeping everyone informed?
At some point, and not saying this is the case, but it kind of becomes like the NFL. Keep the competition wondering. That's why they have the blue tent on the side of the field; and policies on what they can, cant, and have to say about personnel injuries; and they have roster deadlines before competitions. Between Hipaa and a competitive advantage, I can see some reasons for privacy. Hell, I still don't know what's up with Hight or Salinas.

Praying for a complete recovery for John Force.

On a side note, imagine the look on the ER Doctor's face. "What the heck happened to this senior citizen?" "Oh, his car blew up, shredded the body, and he went into the wall around 300 miles per hour."
I was thinking of something similar. When I've gone to the ER, they ask you to describe what happened and how you got injured. I was thinking of Force saying "well, I was driving my car at 300 mph, it blew up, and I hit a wall!" I didn't think about the fact it would be a 75 year old telling the doc about the crash.

I would imagine the NHRA already knows where they will fly injured drivers well before the event starts, so perhaps the hospital wasn't totally shocked by the accident, but they probably were by his age.

Click this link, forward to 2:00 and at 2:05, click Settings and slow the playback speed to 0.25. Watch closely, 2:09/2:10 and again at 4:00; this crash was one of the most violent involving a side impact I've ever seen and to me, explains why John is still hospitalized and there's been no further updates. They may not know because they're still evaluating what's going on inside John's head from an impact that was likely in excess of 50G. I believe the only reason he's alive is because of safety measures implemented by his own team after the death of John Medlen.

Last edited:
Click this link, forward to 2:00 and at 2:05, click Settings and slow the playback speed to 0.25. Watch closely, 2:09/2.10; this crash was one of the most violent involving a side impact I've ever seen and to me, explains why John is still hospitalized and there's been no further updates. They may not know because they're still evaluating what's going on inside John's head from an impact that was likely in excess of 50G. I believe the only reason he's alive is because of safety measures implemented by his own team after the death of John Medlen.

Sorry to correct Carl...Eric Medlin.

Obviously we are all praying for a full and quick recovery, but since people are mentioning possible temporary replacements I think Phil Burkhart and Jeff Arend would be great options

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back