John force (27 Viewers)

If you guys came to Davenport around that time, there's a good chance I was in the stands. I grew up half a mile from the speedway and my dad and I would frequently walk up and watch.

IIRC the schedule was Springfield Friday night, Davenport Fairgrounds Sat night or vice versa and then the US Nationals on Monday on the way back,

Stunned at how the all-time winningest driver got air lifted out of the track and it's not anywhere near the top of NHRA's webpage

My email to NHRA tech:

At what point do you get rid of funny car body teathers and put in softwalls? Nobody can drive a car when the body is trying to lift it off the ground or when teathered pieces get into the steering linkage or under the front tires. Had the body been off, the parachutes would have been out and he would have had an exponentially greater chance of keeping the car off the wall. How many times do you think John Force can survive incidents like what we just saw in Virginia? The ball is in your court NHRA tech department.

My email to NHRA tech:

At what point do you get rid of funny car body teathers and put in softwalls? Nobody can drive a car when the body is trying to lift it off the ground or when teathered pieces get into the steering linkage or under the front tires. Had the body been off, the parachutes would have been out and he would have had an exponentially greater chance of keeping the car off the wall. How many times do you think John Force can survive incidents like what we just saw in Virginia? The ball is in your court NHRA tech department.
Nick
I understand your point, But the sad part of this was stated to me many years ago from a V.P at NHRA, We must keep all parts from going in to the stands. " we can REPLACE the DRIVERS put we can't hurt spectators", I was a member of the NHRA drivers commission for 28 yrs. and this statement to me was SHOCKING as a driver and a official in drag racing. there were other issues I brought up that they didn't agree with, but later changed.
Larry Sutton---Starter and Racer retired 🤠

neither chute deployed. isn't there supposed to be a safety mechanism that deploys chutes in event of crash/impact?
you see chutes pop out on the line from some electronic malfunction. chutes could have lessened a lot yesterday.
holy cow that was a hard hit, and then anther. don't even like to watch it.

neither chute deployed. isn't there supposed to be a safety mechanism that deploys chutes in event of crash/impact?
you see chutes pop out on the line from some electronic malfunction. chutes could have lessened a lot yesterday.
This is the real head scratcher. There are two systems the are supposed to pop the chutes and neither did. Something glitched pretty bad.

My email to NHRA tech:

Well to me it doesn’t seem like a good idea to remove the tethers. Having either a full body or lots of shrapnel flying into the stands is not good for the fans, staff, etc.

Without the body John might have been able to see where he was going, but people at the track could have been seriously injured.

I think soft walls may make sense, but they wouldn’t be instead of tethers. They solve a two different problems.

I saw it live on nhra.tv and don't care to watch it again. The look on his face on the stretcher was not good.

Well to me it doesn’t seem like a good idea to remove the tethers. Having either a full body or lots of shrapnel flying into the stands is not good for the fans, staff, etc.

Without the body John might have been able to see where he was going, but people at the track could have been seriously injured.

I think soft walls may make sense, but they wouldn’t be instead of tethers. They solve a two different problems.
Tough problems. More rule changes coming?

Hmmm, if there is a fill-in driver, my vote goes to Tommy Johnson JR. He filled in for Matt Hagan and did an EXCELLENT job.

My email to NHRA tech:

You’re talking to the same people that put hay bales against the scoreboard base pillars after Jimmy Nix was killed….

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back