Jerry Eckman speaks out! (1 Viewer)

One of the issues of the time was that there was no written nitrous rule. The horse was out of the barn for a couple of years before NHRA responded.

That was the amazing part about the Eckman and Wayne County NOS usage...there was no written rule against it in the class rules. There were probably other offenders, but those two teams never recovered from those situations. Amazing...

I distinctly remember when the incident happened and reading as much as I could about it. I remember someone somewhere (could have been compuserve) talking about how it was Bill Orndorff that was really feeling the pressure of losing competitiveness and that Jerry didn't even know the system was in the car. I guess that person was not too far off, although it seems Bill did tell Jerry about the bottle just before the "pop".

I ran into Jerry at Pomona one year when he was doing the clutch for another team, I think it was Mark Whisnant (correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Hiner). I remember smiling and saying "good to have you back Mr. Eckman", he reached out his hand and sincerely thanked me. I had no idea what friendly words must have meant to him at the time. Good to hear his side. Thank you for the link Joe! And kudos to Bobby Bennett for getting the story out. And I'll add another vote to those wishing SS&DI was still around.

Ah SS&DI....

The honest truth. I was one of the few kids (at age 12) that when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I answered, the editor of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated and the driver of an E/Modified Production Corvette Stingray.

When I formed the first issue of Torco's CompetitionPlus.com, I had a vision of making our ezine the equivalent of that classic magazine.

As for Jerry, I asked him three years ago to provide the opportunity to tell his side of the story. He looked at me and said, "Can you give me ten years of my life back? Can you take away that pain? I said, no I can't. But maybe it can help begin the healing process."

He dismissed the notion and I left it at that.

One day he looked at me and said, "You've earned my trust. I'm ready to talk."

The rest is history.

I too am glad that I read his story, things can only get great for him now............

Cool story Bobby, and I love your site, you've done good with that venture!
........................................There is a top 10 fuel car that has had numerous complaints and petitions filed but because of their sponsors commitments to host a few National events the NHRA says they find nothing illegal w/ the car.
I will drop hints as the year goes on.................
Well, you've already dropped a big enough hint, I know for sure it's not the Lucus Car, it's not the CSK Cars, the Toyo Car nor the O'Reilly Car, AC Delco and Summit are primarily Pro Stock sponsors so who does this leave? The Fram Car? The Mac Tools Car or the AAA Car? How about Torco? I'll bet Mopar? Another thing to ponder, people usually won't even bother filing complaints and petitions unless a car starts on a winning streak, with that said, that rules out a large majority of the cars mentioned....................hey, Castol is presenting a bunch of the races next year!:eek:

The story on Bob Glidden's sons was very well documented in SSDI. They kept telling Bob that he was losing ground on the competition because they were using NOS. Bob didn't believe them, saying that NHRA Tech would never let it get by them. So they set out and built it into a car without Bob's knowlege and sure enough ran it right through Tech. Afterwards, they exposed everything, and how they did it all. They ran it through the frame rails, motor plate and if I remember right, the hood pins and just released it into the hood scoop. I also remember that they wired it in a way that the clutch had to be depressed with the ignition switch on and a few other things that would never happen all at once in a Tech Inspection.

According to the story Bob was pissed that his boys brought it to the track, but it was their only way of proving it to him.

Last edited:
Great story, as always, Bobby. Jerry was always one of my favorite drivers and it was a real shock to me when this happened. Hopefully, some day he will get that last ride he is looking for.

W/ the amount of money/budget these owners have they have zero problem w/ filing a complaint and losing their filing 'fees' if nothing is found......

I have a good friend who pilots a top ten fuel dragster that told me the figures Bernstein received from 'MONSTER' (Coca-Cola) and it would blow your mind on the figures...

Bernstein and company are top shelf players and stay out of trouble...

I am sure that Jerry is reading this for feedback. I was happy to see him with the Nitro Fish car. Hopefully Kenny would consider throwing him in a second car now and then. I still have the CSK diecast of Jerry's.

Bobby you and your magazine are first class. You magazine is by far the best not just for news and pics, but the stories. They are very infomative and truly feature type stories, not just another sports article.

wow that was a good read.
It's amazing how they figure ways out to plumb the stuff.
I'm sure stuff goes on, but don't label me a tin foil hat wearer.

Joe, that's why I posted, I wasn't making an accusation, I just thought it was common knowledge. A lot of people have probably forgotten or never knew, since it's been a few years.

I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you or anybody else of accusing any preticular driver whatever. Just simply stating that I wouldn't unless mentioned in an article somewhere per say. Since this was made public in a magazine it's common knowledge.

I'm in agreement with everyone in that it was a pretty good read. It took alot of sack, 10 years past or not, for Jerry to come out and tell it like he did without a bunch of beating around the bush.

I was always a Jerry Eckman fan, but I have to admit that I take some issue with his numerous statements about things such as his career, reputation, etc., being "taken" from him. Whether he just got to the track or not, he knew something was brewing, yet still made a conscious choice. Life is full of choices and he made the choice to stay instead of walking away, and he needs to own that. Nothing was "taken" from him, in my opinion. If anything, he played a role in "giving" it away. I love ya' Jerry, but that's just how I see it.

That being said, the NHRA handled it as poorly as it could've been handled. They made an example out of him because it was handy, and nothing more. There were multiple cars that were known to have been doing the same stuff, but for the sake of plain ol' politics, nothing was done, and that's just weak. Given those circumstances, there's no reason he shouldn't be allowed back out there.

SD

Did the rule book say that N.O.S was elligal? I honestly think that if the rule book mentions nothing about not being able to use it then you have the right to use it because there is nothing to say you can't . If you go out and then get told by an official that you can't use it then fares fare you don't use it but unless the rules specifically say you CAN'T use something then why not try invovations .

Sounds like that Bill Orndorf's desperation to have a good showing in his hometown ended up distroying a driver's really good career.

Did the rule book say that N.O.S was elligal? I honestly think that if the rule book mentions nothing about not being able to use it then you have the right to use it because there is nothing to say you can't .

If it were legal why hide it? Where is the NOS sponsor decal?

Eveyrone new it wasn't legal, and had to hide it to pass tech, what does that say? It's still legal?

I agree with Sean Dewitt's post. Jerry knew something was up,life is full of choices. Everyone knows thier were other teams running nitrous but never got caught. Do I think NHRA was to harsh on Jerry? Sure I do. I'm glad Jerry had the guts to finally tell his side of the story. I wish him well and hope he can find a ride someday. JJ

If it were legal why hide it? Where is the NOS sponsor decal?

Eveyrone new it wasn't legal, and had to hide it to pass tech, what does that say? It's still legal?

Oh ok , then that explains it , I was just asking because it sounded like the rulebook didnt say you could or couldnt use it

Jerry was told the "trick item" was installed on the car but was not operational. I'm sure if he knew it was in operation he would have walked away, or I'm hoping he would have.

This isn't just a moral issue of right and wrong on the part of participants. NHRA has a great deal of explaining to do, in my opinion.

Case in point, they were aware of nitrous usage in the Pro Stock ranks by other teams yet they singled out one individual to sink! They were successful in making a full-scale example of Jerry as a result of many other's transgressions, in my opinion. It's no secret that they treated others differently and they still do today. Clout speaks very loudly and is treated much differently by NHRA. If you don't believe me ask the Top Fuelers about rev-limiter infractions just this past year. You'll get sick as I have. Worst news of all, some small independent with no sponsorship to protect could get hammered for it "Jerry Eckman" style while "Big Name" teams had a deaf ear turned time and again just this past season.

This is NHRA's problem since what's good for the goose should also be good for the gander and it's not being handled that way. I guess Glendora believes there acceptable losses?
I disagree wholeheartedly!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back