Changes are a Comin! (1 Viewer)

Is it just me or do others feel that the "Nitro Alley" sign could use some a facelift?

Last edited:
If there was something across the board that you'd like to see at EVERY track, what would it be?

More VIPs wouldn't be my first choice to spend the bucks unless I had them sold already to some potential team sponsors...

Clean bathrooms and more of them; every time I take someone new to Firebird in Chandler, they complain about that; the stench of the port-a-potties is usually preferable to the dirty backed-up toilets there.

Kevin,
Don't take them to Fireturd! Take them to Vegas and the exact opposite will happen. Cheap Charlie has no intention of making Fireturd an experience worth repeating.

Family Bathrooms! As a Dad of three girls, ages 9, 7, & 6, it was a real pain at Joliet last year having to wait and worry outside the restrooms. It wasn't a problem at the IHRA track we went to...since they had them.

If there was something across the board that you'd like to see at EVERY track, what would it be?

More VIPs wouldn't be my first choice to spend the bucks unless I had them sold already to some potential team sponsors...

I had always thought that IRP needed upgrading Far more than Pomona or G-Ville needed Suites that's for sure! With tracks like Chi-town, Vegas and Bristol. The track for the Biggest race in the world is such an Eyesore!:confused:

Kevin,
Don't take them to Fireturd! Take them to Vegas and the exact opposite will happen. Cheap Charlie has no intention of making Fireturd an experience worth repeating.

Bobby while I do agree that Fireturd is NO Vegas. Since Charlie Allen's leasing that land, what does he have to gain making a huge investment?

I've never been to Firebird, but it sounds similar to KCIR in Kansas City. That track has been an armpit for the last 30 years. Yes, they've done some paving here and there, but the restrooms are a discrace.

Between the enormous amount of dust, and the rag-tag amenities, it's hard to imagine why anyone would take a nice car there. I know I quit participating in KCIR events because of those reasons...

There have been several attempts at putting on big MOPAR shows there in recent years, and every one of them have been poorly attended money losers. They're lucky to have 30 good race cars, and 20 show cars. Even the Chrysler Classic events couldn't pull of a successful event at KCIR...

I've never been to Firebird, but it sounds similar to KCIR in Kansas City. That track has been an armpit for the last 30 years. Yes, they've done some paving here and there, but the restrooms are a discrace.

Between the enormous amount of dust, and the rag-tag amenities, it's hard to imagine why anyone would take a nice car there. I know I quit participating in KCIR events because of those reasons...

There have been several attempts at putting on big MOPAR shows there in recent years, and every one of them have been poorly attended money losers. They're lucky to have 30 good race cars, and 20 show cars. Even the Chrysler Classic events couldn't pull of a successful event at KCIR...
It's not as bad as KCIR but for a national event level facility it is really lacking.

Kevin,

Bobby,

I see you are one of the Phoenix area racers that also gets embarrased by the conditions at Firebird. I guess it is safe to say that the facility hasn't been upgraded or changed much in the 20 years since I attended a race there. No wonder you are hoping for Drag City in Banning to get built. ;)

I have not been to Las Vegas, but I have been to Bruton Smith's home track, Bristol, and I chose it as the first track to take my wife to for her first LIVE drag race experience, and I knew it would be impressive, and it was! She enjoyed it alot more than when I took her to Gainesville, my current home track for her 2nd experience. :( Night and day difference. I hope that NHRA puts some money into the permanent bathrooms at Gainesville sooner than later! I'm sure they rival those at Fireturd. You sometimes look for the porta-potties rather than going to the permanent rest-rooms. Like Joe/BN said in his post, they should probably have poured more money into Indy before building those skyboxes at Pomona and Gainseville!

Last edited:
Family Bathrooms! As a Dad of three girls, ages 9, 7, & 6, it was a real pain at Joliet last year having to wait and worry outside the restrooms. It wasn't a problem at the IHRA track we went to...since they had them.

You and I are in the same boat and I agree 100%. Family bathrooms would be great

With a 6 yr old daughter its a pain trying to use to gross and cramped restrooms they have now.

Yeah, I don't care for more VIP suites - I know they help the track (and NHRA) pay the bills, but if you add too many of them we run the risk of turning drag racing into NHL hockey where it's a place for the "suits" to congregate and do deals...

What I'd like to see at EVERY track is something like picnic facilities - a shaded (covered?) place to get out of the sun, rest and eat my lunch. Hey, maybe a beer garden is what I'm talking about. Would beat sitting on the ground beneath one of the few trees at most tracks (although Pacific Raceways has lots of lovely pines).

Its good to see NHRA and the track owners are at least reinvesting in themselves.

I know I'll probably never see it, but NICE, fairly large 1000 ft "club" grandstands would be terrific. I think even a VIP suite there would be hit. Still my favorite place to spectate from when available and I would pay for a reserved seat there.

Full restrooms at Bandimere would be a major upgrade. It's not as big of deal to me because we have bathrooms in the truck and trailer but for the people who don't have that luxury, it's would be one of the best upgrades you can do.

There is nothing that will prevent people from coming back to a track like filthy bathrooms. And even if a track owner doesn't have the budget to build fancy new restrooms, there is no excuse for not at least keeping them clean. Especially during a national event, restroom facilities should be cleaned regularly throughout the weekend. All too often you see restrooms that look like they haven't been cleaned all year. As far as Charlie not wanting to make an investment because he only leases the track, well, in that case he shouldn't be in the racetrack business. Clean, family-friendly restrooms are as important to fans as track conditions and pit accomodations are to racers.

Without getting too graphic; the flush toilets on the right side of Firebird backed up during the CSK Nationals last year; I showed-up the next Friday for the Division 7 Opener and they were still overflowing with "matter"; they made no attempt to fix them during the Nationals and they left them that way all week! It wasn't until later in the day of that Friday that they finally got around to cleaning them. I don't have daughters but I can only imagine what a pain in the butt it must be without family bathrooms. Some people might think this sounds like whining; however, they try to sell this as a family event; and no matter how enjoyable everything else is, a lot of people are not going to bring their families back if they can't have clean facilities. I always take a big package of baby wipes and lots of hand sanitizer with me when I go.

Did I read this correctly that they are giving Sears Point a facelift too? The reason I ask is the description of what they were doing sounded like what they did a few years back. It would be nice if they'd build more seating on the right side of the track, that's where I sat or more accurately stood because everybody else was standing. I'd like to see them address the problem of people standing at Sonoma, it's worse there than anywhere else I've been to, if you try to stand in Joliet, they holler at you to sit down.

I'd like to see them address the problem of people standing at Sonoma, it's worse there than anywhere else I've been to
You must not have been at the Pomona Finals...one entire section sitting down, next section standing, next section sitting, etc. etc. etc.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back