Mike Dunn signs with ESPN for 5 more years - CompPlus (1 Viewer)

I agree. On one hand I'm happy for him because racing seldom brings anyone any job security, and Mike has a family. BUT, I think he let let go of the butterfly way too soon.

I agree Brent...without Mike in the booth it wouldn't be the same...but I'd sure like to see him behind the wheel again. He's a classy guy...

I agree Brent...without Mike in the booth it wouldn't be the same...but I'd sure like to see him behind the wheel again. He's a classy guy...

Bob Frey's article on dragracingcentral.com says he's going to drive a Slammer's Pro-Stocker. Ok he is only doing a burnout and a couple of gear changes to get a feel for what driving a prostocker is like. Still, his desire to do so indicates just how much he strives to be knowledgable about what he is doing and goes to show why he is the best in the TV announcing business. (I had to specify TV announcing because we know that at least one of the NHRA announcers has driving experience).

Hey Jeggie....don't let Dunn in the car...he won't fit. Just fly me in and I'll make a couple hits for you, and then report the experience directly to Mike. I'll even change my name from 'Johnny Mopar' to 'Johnny Slammer'....permantently!!!

the good thing is mike is back in the booth for 5 years, the bad thing is espn2 has the races for 5 more years:D

Although I've always liked Mike Dunn as a driver and broadcaster, I have to say that most drivers would be elated to "bust their butts" to finish in fifth place. Not that it reflects badly on him but he has been pretty fortunate to have some good rides and rightfully so. I was kinda scratching my head over the comment. I like him in the booth and if thats good enough for him...then great.

Mikes great. One problem I have..........Where is Marty Reid?!?!?!!

I want him back.......the replacement Dave something or other is quite frankly horrible for drag racing. He may be great at other sports....even other motor sports, but his complete lack of knowledge of names and just the dynamics of the sport showed badly when he was in the booth. Especially during live segments. He was better doing prepared drop ins and taped sessions, but still lacked Marty's insite and knowledge. Bring Marty back.....he and Mike also had great chemistry in the booth and worked together great.
Somebody find the Dave guys' last name....I seached ESPN for awhile and couldn't find it.

Like most I would like to see him driving again. I was always a fan as he was one of the first group of second generation drivers. But, he is the best in the booth we have ever had....

Mikes great. One problem I have..........Where is Marty Reid?!?!?!!

I want him back.......the replacement Dave something or other is quite frankly horrible for drag racing. He may be great at other sports....even other motor sports, but his complete lack of knowledge of names and just the dynamics of the sport showed badly when he was in the booth. Especially during live segments. He was better doing prepared drop ins and taped sessions, but still lacked Marty's insite and knowledge. Bring Marty back.....he and Mike also had great chemistry in the booth and worked together great.
Somebody find the Dave guys' last name....I seached ESPN for awhile and couldn't find it.

Only problem is that Paul Page wasn't great at other sports, either. Good for Marty Reid getting the IRL gig, bad for us for being stuck with Paul Page. Let Dunn do a one man booth or for the sake of the fans give us Frey or Reinhart.

Kurt

can someone explain to me what mike is talking about with the 'alan johnson' rule. how does the rev limiter rule favor alan? is that what mike was saying?

can someone explain to me what mike is talking about with the 'alan johnson' rule. how does the rev limiter rule favor alan? is that what mike was saying?

Bob - I think Mike was referring to NHRA's desire to prevent the Army dragster from running faster than 337-340. Rev limiter may have been implemented to present another challenge to AJ, not favor him!
On "The Run" at Pomona, the mph was not spectacular. Should be interesting to see if NHRA will try to slow down the huge charge to the 1/8 mile!

why would it be more of a challenge to him than anyone else? I don't get Mike's point. He makes it sound like it's unfair , but they all play by the same rules.

not that I don't think the rev limiter sucks too.

Well, let me say that for entirely selfish reasons I for one am glad that Dunn has decided to stay in the booth. Sure, I admit it would be nice to see him race again. But he does a great job in the booth and I sure would hate to lose him from behind that mike.

I agree. It's great to have Mike back, but Paul Page is terrible. He knows nothing about drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back