Is Ray Alley still the crew chief? (1 Viewer)

I'm not the biggest KB fan, just from what I hear about him treating fans in the pits, but would it be inappropriate of me to hoop, holler, and high five people whenever he continues to DNQ?

Mike - you are dead wrong! This is still a sport, and the successful teams are there because of team spirit and loyalty. KB and AB stole Jimmy from the Skull team - I will be very surprised if you see any team chemistry on the "Monster" car. JMHO
It is a sport to the fans, sportsman racers and a few select pro teams. To the serious teams it is a business.

As for team chemistry, time will tell. If the team can't work well together then KB has wasted his sponsors money.

Last edited:
People it's a business!
Kenny recruited Jim just like any Company would recruit a CEO, if one isn't available when one is needed, do what ever it takes!

Loyalty is no longer in the business dictionary it hasn't been for a very long time!
It sucks but it's a hard fact. :eek:

i can't believe you people are jumping up and down like this. haven't all of you realized that any type of motorsports has nothing to do with "the good ol'e boys" attitude any more. in the past 5 years how many sponsors , crewchiefs and or drivers left one team for another? and why? MONEY!!!!!!!! thats all racing has become any more. a MAJOR buisness. and "money talks and b.s. walks. grow up! any more, a good crew chief has a long future and blank check when ever he wants it , and a great driver with a $1.39 is gaurenteed a cup of coffee. an average driver with a fat roll of money can land a ride in the best car even if someone else is driving it. it the way of life in the racing world. and i say this from experience. IT SUCKS so sit back and watch the soap operas called AS THE NHRA TURNS. don't lose sleep over it and don't kick the cat, it won't change a thing.

I was shocked when I came home and opened up the internet. NHRA is my home page, and I had to do a double take when I saw the headline.

I hope Jimmy does as well with the funny car as he did with the dragster.

Working for Kenny is not going to be any picnic I am sure, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do. One thing cool about when he was working for Tuttle was that his brother would still come out to help at a race here, and a race there. I have a feeling that's not going to be the case anymore. Most of you don't know but his brother Bill (Wally) is probably the 3rd winningest TAD driver of all time behind Blaine Johnson and Rick Santos, and used to crew and test drive for Joe Amato. He also was the sub for Tony Schumacher after his crash in Memphis.

Anyways, good luck to Jimmy and the team. I hope the Monster FC is in the show @ Gainesville.

Loyalty is no longer in the business dictionary it hasn't been for a very long time!

Bob,

You're exactly right.

I feel so bad for JR Todd. He's such a bright young kid, and I know that Evan Knoll will get the best that he possibly can.

I've been watching the old NHRA reruns on ESPN Classic, and it makes me miss the good old days when single-car teams could win and it wasn't all about the almighty dollar. Unfortunately, because of the culture shift, I don't think we'll ever have those days back.

Evan, I know you'll do awesome this year. JR, keep your head up buddy, you're a great driver, and good things come to faithful people.

It's not stealing. It's recruiting and hiring. It's how business is done. Finally, it's about getting the results your sponsors demand.

Mike,

In my humble opinion you're missing the point. Sure, getting the results your sponsors demand should be important - extremely important, in fact. But at what cost? Judging by the mood on this message board in the last hour alone, Monster Energy Drinks is losing customers - REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL KENNY BERNSTEIN DOES WITH JIMMY WALSH CALLING THE SHOTS. What does that do to the company's ROI? It goes in the toilet. For what? I had more respect and desire to buy their product when the team was struggling, yet working hard. Going out and stealing (and yes, that's what it was) someone else's crew chief has turned me off completely from their product.

This is a lose - lose situation for everyone involved, including Jimmy Walsh, because if and/or when he fails and has to move on team owners are going to have a difficult time trusting him in the future. It's a damn shame is what it is...

Sorry Don Prudhomme. Your moniker is being taken away from you. It is now Kenny "The Snake" Bernstein...

Of course this is business and I understand that there are sell-outs and buy-outs every day in corporate America and beyond but I also know that many, if not most of the successful corporate businesses pride in maintaining both loyalty and integrity.

I was taught my own family definition of both:
Integrity is having the courage to keep my actions in accordance with my knowledge of right and wrong at all costs.

Loyalty is demonstrating a willingness to sacrifice much, if not all for the common good of a group, cause or belief.

Beyond the "Business is Business" view of this entire deal today, I'm believing from what I am hearing that neither of the aforementioned characteristics were present. If, in fact, this was KB dumping one and luring another on board with the almighty better dollar, neither integrity nor loyalty were present as I understand them. I also totally understand that there will be those who disagree wholeheartedly but my opinion will be difficult to sway unless these circumstances prove to be other than what seems evident on the surface.

Today has been interesting to say the least and it prompts yet another question:

Was Todd Okuhara's palm actually crossed with silver and Jimmy Walsh second in line after he passed on the offer? That would be interesting to me to find Todd had the loyalty I speak of and stayed on his present course despite the offer?

If I hit Mega Millions tonight, I'll hire Walsh away from Burnstein.. & pay him double what he is making now to be a spectator !! :D

Yea, the two or three dozen whiners that say they aren't going to drink Monster are really going to bring them to their knees! Get over it people. I wonder how many of the crybabies have ever left one job to go to a better one, or if they have owned or managed a business, have fired and hired to improve their company's production and profit. Ultimately it's the car owner's obligation to recruit, compensate, and retain his or her work force, just like any other business.

Mike,

In my humble opinion you're missing the point. Sure, getting the results your sponsors demand should be important - extremely important, in fact. But at what cost? Judging by the mood on this message board in the last hour alone, Monster Energy Drinks is losing customers - REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL KENNY BERNSTEIN DOES WITH JIMMY WALSH CALLING THE SHOTS. What does that do to the company's ROI? It goes in the toilet. For what? I had more respect and desire to buy their product when the team was struggling, yet working hard. Going out and stealing (and yes, that's what it was) someone else's crew chief has turned me off completely from their product.

This is a lose - lose situation for everyone involved, including Jimmy Walsh, because if and/or when he fails and has to move on team owners are going to have a difficult time trusting him in the future. It's a damn shame is what it is...

Im not sure what point I am missing. I understand that to many this is a sport, a hobby, a pasttime, fun and games. To the big professional teams, it is a business that has to be run in a competitive manner if they are to remain competitive.

I'm sure the big pro teams who started out as small time racers who were passionate about the sport still have that passion, but to remain competitive in the sport you need big $pon$or $$ and to keep the $pon$ors happy, you have to qualify and win rounds. If you don't keep your car and your sponsor's name in front of the TV cameras on raceday then they will soon become former sponsors and spend their $$$ on a team that can get maximum exposure for their product.

As for Monster losing customers on this board, that is a business risk they must be willing to take. There are approximately 1000 members on this board. If Monster loses all 1000 members as customers, but can pick up 100,000 new customers who see the Monster car on raceday then the risk paid off for them.

If the Skull car had been struggling..and everybody needed a change..maybe.

But to be on a contending team, with a personality like J.R. and bail..just ties my knot.

I'd be interested to see what Evan's opinion is.

I just don't get it..and Doc does a pretty good job of relaying sentiments.

Yea, the two or three dozen whiners that say they aren't going to drink Monster are really going to bring them to their knees! Get over it people. I wonder how many of the crybabies have ever left one job to go to a better one, or if they have owned or managed a business, have fired and hired to improve their company's production and profit. Ultimately it's the car owner's obligation to recruit, compensate, and retain his or her work force, just like any other business.

True, but for those of us who didn't like him before, this just gives us more fuel for the fire.

Perhaps so. But as a consumer I am under no obligation to purchase the products of companies that engage in such cutthroat practices. And if my personal code of ethics does not allow me to purchase a particular product I simply don't do it regardless of whether or not it has an effect on that company's bottom line.

Racing like any other sport is always more interesting when there 's a villian. For instance, watch any NASCAR race and you will find that there are a number of drivers who draw the ire of fans. For me, that person is now Kenny Bernstein.

Suzie.. thanks for the biggest firestorm I've ever seen here....:eek:

Monster supplied the bucks. They haven't done a damn thing wrong other than want the coverage that they were told they would get when they signed on. Boycott the product if you want, but it's really not their fault..

Jimmy moved on because its an opportunity. Maybe he knows something that is happening over in the Skull camp that we don't regarding his future..

Evan will be JUST FINE... And don't doubt that he has the cash to be able to go out and do the same exact thing to some other team if he doesn't see the right results by moving someone up in the next couple of weeks of testing (and guaranteed, there WILL be testing somewhere)...

Lets see... KB told us all during his big tour that he was done as a driver... Yet everyone cheered when he came back this year- kinda throws a wet rag on his credibility long before all this shite happened, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

I see it as Business As Usual in the Million Dollar Club, and in the great words of Jane's Addiction-

NOTHINGS SHOCKING

Last edited:
Steve a lot of people belong to this site, including Don Schumacher, unless you have a source that is credible than it don't mean $hit!
I notice you are new to this site (4 post) there are a lot of people on this site that are involved in this sport so you will be considered talking out the butt until it actually happens just an FYI.
I'm not saying that you are lying but expect some criticism with a rumor such as the one you threw out there!
In case nobody has said it welcome to the mater and be careful what you say because you will be called on it with these kinds of posts!

Steve....How does your foot taste...?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back