Is Ray Alley still the crew chief? (1 Viewer)

I can't imagine Ray would be so short-sided as to not enter into a long-term contract before giving up his position at the NHRA.
Could someone really be that . . .

. . . well, you know?

If there was indeed a contract, Kenny's spending a great deal to make this work and if it is, in fact, Todd, permit me to suggest a long-term enforceable contract.

With all the musical chairs in drag racing, I don't thing that a contract means anything these days. I'm sure all have performance clauses that make them easy to get out of.

I've known Ray Alley since birth and am sorry to see that he has not been able to get Kenny's car to run.

It is unfortunate that teams have had to go after other teams crew chiefs in situations like this. Now more that ever you are seeing younger guys given an opportunity to be crew chief, but there seems to be a shortage when new teams are started to find capable mechanics to run them.

It is good that most fuel teams these days are designating a crew guy to be a lieutenant in case the crew chief decides to leave (Like when Dick LaHaie retired) You're going to see more new younger blood in our sport in the future.

why has JFR been so successful over the years??.......

a thread a few days ago made mention of not changing
rules for period of time so smaller and/or independent teams
could 'catch up' on the learning curve - i'm guessing the same
applies for future crew chiefs, otherwise it seems like there
will be even more separation between the haves and the have nots.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Columns - Agent 1320 - 2/27/2007

Previous PageVolume IX, Issue 2 Next PageEmail this story! Print this story

CABO CALLING FOR MR. ALLEY
One of the Agent’s best informed sources in the fuel ranks (who asked not to be identified because he still works on a team) called today to verify the rumor that Kenny Bernstein’s Monster Energy Drink-backed Funny Car team replaced crew chief and former NHRA nitro guru Ray Alley and his assistant, Johnny West, with a new tuner team.

According to our source, Todd Okuhara (shown) and Phil Shuler have been hired away from the Don Schumacher camp where they had been working on the Valvoline-backed flopper currently driven by Jack Beckman. Reported (but unconfirmed) was that the “change of direction” came after yet another dismal day of testing. The same source says that Alley is already on his way to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico to do some

....I can't imagine someone as nice as Kenny stealing from someone as nice as Shumacher? It just wouldn't be right, would it?

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Hey Miller, I can't tell if you were joking in that quote or not, but stealing sponsors and crew members/crew chiefs IS a way of life for SOME teams. :rolleyes:

Could we have a double source.... Could Mr Brooks also be the undisclosed DRO source..... Makes you just go Hmmm....

Maybe this is a plan for Kenny to get Todd to be his crew chief then hire Whit Bazemore to drive and Let Rod Fuller have Lee back...

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

Hey Miller, I can't tell if you were joking in that quote or not, but stealing sponsors and crew members/crew chiefs IS a way of life for SOME teams. :rolleyes:

Then someone needs to lure Alan Johnson away so we could have a new T/F Champion. LOL!

Not the same source, we heard this rumor last night. Ray is definitely gone. Have talked to 20 different people who have heard the same story, last caller says it is NOT Todd. Who knows at this point. If it's not Todd who's it going to be?

I'm sure this thread will go on for quite a while. G-ville not for another 2 weeks, official press release could take a while.

Chris,
That's masterful use of the bold feature if I have ever seen it! I needed to read that today! Thanks!

Registered member said:
With all the musical chairs in drag racing, I don't thing that a contract means anything these days. I'm sure all have performance clauses that make them easy to get out of.

I'm no genius but I deal with contracts and their enforcement day-in and day-out. I can assure you that a simpleton like myself would never leave a career position for something that could evaporate before I get my spare socks out of my suitcase. I don't question performance clauses being a part of the document however, I personally, would never enter into an agreement that didn't give me a specified time to catch up to the learning curve with specified guarantees. Would you?

Those that know me know my source...

And he has no information as to the truth or un-truth of whether Todd and Phil have been hired away from DSR by KB Racing.

The motto of this thread is treat everything as a rumor until an official announcement has been made by the parties being discussed.

Chris,
That's masterful use of the bold feature if I have ever seen it! I needed to read that today! Thanks!

I'm no genius but I deal with contracts and their enforcement day-in and day-out. I can assure you that a simpleton like myself would never leave a career position for something that could evaporate before I get my spare socks out of my suitcase. I don't question performance clauses being a part of the document however, I personally, would never enter into an agreement that didn't give me a specified time to catch up to the learning curve with specified guarantees. Would you?

Doc don't sell yourself short! ;)

I think that KB would have to make a change with the pressure of all the DNQ's. Look people are going to say "maybe his ship has sailed and he can't do it anymore". I believe that he would change every part or person to make this work. He has too. Some times change is good. Look at Doug Herbert he must believe that, He changes crew chiefs monthly.

Bring on the former or soon to former crew chief wheel of mis-fortune. Time to recycle the flat tires.

I am sure that KB and Monster were not planning on any DNQs. If you are going to be competitive, you have to believe you will be able to win every race and plan accordingly. It will be interesting if he can turn his season around. The new format sure gives him a second chance no matter what.

Then someone needs to lure Alan Johnson away so we could have a new T/F Champion. LOL!

I actually heard a rumor that he was going to pro stock..of course I may have been the one to start that rumor too, I'll have to check with my source to see if I did or not:)

I am sure that KB and Monster were not planning on any DNQs. If you are going to be competitive, you have to believe you will be able to win every race and plan accordingly. It will be interesting if he can turn his season around. The new format sure gives him a second chance no matter what.

I think its karma biting him in the arse. Allegedly KB was the driver behind the push for the new system thinking he would benefit from it. Thats what ya get for trying stack the deck

I don't think ANYBODY, including KB and Ray, had any idea how much the class would step up.. 2 National Events, 2 Record setting performances (one on a pretty suspect track), and an entire field of 16 that have never been on their game better than this before.

Now toss in a new team, a driver that hasn't been in this kind of car since the performance jump, and the pressures of being watched under a microscope by fans AND sponsors, and you have the makings of exactly what is going on in that camp.

Nobody really considered that he was going to be a player this early on, did they? At best, he was going to hit stride at G'Ville- and if rumors are correct, Florida is just going to be starting back at Square One at this point. Nobody could predict that EVERYBODY was going to be stepping up their game this much over the winter.

Funny Car- The New Pro Stock

hmmmmmmmm..............official statement in the works:eek:
Another post from a "non-cred, low count poster"...........What is this world coming to?????;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back