In-N-Out Burger Matriarch died Friday. (1 Viewer)

That's too bad, it was her son Guy who was the Huge Drag race fan of the family. He's the one who got In-n-out involved in NHRA with Mark Oswald in the 90's. Jerry Darien had signed them as a Primary sponsor in '99 with Melanie Troxell as the driver. Just before their first year Guy passed away and the sponsorship was Nixed!:(

Sorry to hear the sad news. Does this now open the door for them to return to the sponsorship pool? There is surely a substantial profit margin to justify such a return. Maybe Franky Pedregon?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the sad news. Does this now open the door for them to return to the sponsorship pool? There is surly a substantial profit margin to justify such a return. Maybe Franky Pedregon?

My condolences to the family.. they always were great for the sport!

If Frank P is a "wish" on your part... I would like to see Al Hoffman make a comback... & just to make it interesting, in his first race back I want Hoffman & Basemore to qualify 8 & 9 to meet in round #1 ;)

Rich Snyder lost his life in a plane crash while landing at John Wayne airport in Santa Ana several years ago. He was behind the sponsorship. After his passing, brother Guy Snyder was able to somehow make sponsorships continue, but Esther really wanted no part of it. When Guy passed, in Esther's mind there was this lingering leftover issue concerning a signed contract between IN-N-OUT and the Darien & Meadows Top Fuel team with Melanie Troxel driving. Esther did what it took to make everyone happy in her quest to relinquish the company from the contract, and so ended IN-N-OUT's drag racing career.

According to what I have heard, there have been ongoing internal issues regarding control of the company. Don't look for any sponsorships real soon, I think.

Thought this was pretty neat...off topic, but neat.

http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/inandout.asp

When Rich Snyder was at the helm of IN-N-OUT, he would shock the entire Southern California radio market area at Christmas time by airing ads on the rock and roll stations (KLOS, KMET, etc.) with the announcer reading a passage from the Bible in Luke 2 starting at verse 8.

8. "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in their field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, an angel of the Lord came upon them and the glory of the Lord shone round about them; and they were very much afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior who is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.'
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying
14. 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.' "

While the politically correct department stores and public institutions watered down the true meaning of Christmas, Rich Snyder chose to remind everyone in an "On The Air Christmas Card" about the true meaning of Christmas.

I attended Rich's memorial service at Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa and heard from several members of the family who spoke of their strong commitment to their faith.

RG

Last edited:
That's just GREAT!!! :)

Particularly in a time where retailers are reducing Christmas to just "winter" or "Holiday"

When Rich Snyder was at the helm of IN-N-OUT, he would shock the entire Southern California radio market area at Christmas time by airing ads on the rock and roll stations (KLOS, KMET, etc.) with the announcer reading a passage from the Bible in Luke 2 starting at verse 8.

8. "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in their field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, an angel of the Lord came upon them and the glory of the Lord shone round about them; and they were very much afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior who is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you: Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.'
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying
14. 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.' "

While the politically correct department stores and public institutions watered down the true meaning of Christmas, Rich Snyder chose to remind everyone in an "On The Air Christmas Card" about the true meaning of Christmas.

I attended Rich's memorial service at Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa and heard from several members of the family who spoke of their strong commitment to their faith.

RG
If we can't have Drag Racing Sponsorship back let's at least hope they continue with the courage to bring the message of truth forward?

In memory of Esther Snyder, I'm heading off to the IN-N-OUT Burger right now in Brea on Lambert just down the street from Boyd Coddington's Hot Rod shop for a couple Double-Double Animals, Protein style.

Yum Yum.

You people are unbelievable. Someone dies and you sound happy because it might bring some money back into drag racing? New and improved Mater? NOT!

Last edited:
Rich Snyder lost his life in a plane crash while landing at John Wayne airport in Santa Ana several years ago. He was behind the sponsorship. After his passing, brother Guy Snyder was able to somehow make sponsorships continue, but Esther really wanted no part of it. When Guy passed, in Esther's mind there was this lingering leftover issue concerning a signed contract between IN-N-OUT and the Darien & Meadows Top Fuel team with Melanie Troxel driving. Esther did what it took to make everyone happy in her quest to relinquish the company from the contract, and so ended IN-N-OUT's drag racing career.

According to what I have heard, there have been ongoing internal issues regarding control of the company. Don't look for any sponsorships real soon, I think.

Randy you mention Melanie and a dragster, that must have come later, I have a T-Shirt (its a medium so that tells you how old it is)that has a funny car on it billed as the In-n-Out fuel coupe
with "over the hill gang" on the front bumper area, great graphics but no visible driver name. Anyone remember the team particulars on this one ?

You people are unbelievable. Someone dies and you sound happy because it might bring some money back into drag racing? New and improved Mater? NOT!

John,

I think you are overreacting. One person mentions the possibility of In-N-Out returning to sponsorship in drag racing and you get all tied up in knots? It wasn't bashing anyone, and wasn't disrespectful, just a little off topic for a RIP thread for a very kind and generous woman. She and her deceased husband and two sons happened to be part of California's car crazy history, and I for one appreciated their sponsorship of Mark Oswald in funny car back in the early-mid 90's (I think), as well as other teams that were not Pro Nitro. I never met anyone in the Snyder family, but appreciate what they did, and find it neat that they stayed private so they could run their business the way they saw fit, and it has only recently come to my attention that they were Christian and hid bible verses in the wrappers and cups of some of their food items. Thanks Jen for that link to the Snopes web page.

John, I do agree that the comment about sponsorship did de-rail this thread since several people did start reminiscing about bringing back retired funny car driver, Al Hoffman, which had nothing to do with In-N-Out burgers, and then that in-turn evoked several more responses to that.

Anyway, its all good and even spurred me on to visit In-N-Out burgers website, and in the process I decided to buy some T-Shirts as my last In-N-Out shirt turned into a rag years ago. I have always supported them whenever I visited SoCal, and Arizona which is one of the states they expanded into, and my former home.

Sorry you were offended John, but I don't think the comparison is justified.

Last edited:
John,
You completely missed the opportunity to bash me for also mentioning keeping Scriptures in their packaging? Slow day?

For the record, I have been very impressed with what the entire Snyder family has done in both business and support of drag racing. It's truly sad to hear of Esther's passing and I apologize for not directing more of my previous remarks to her passing. She will be missed and I again am very sorry for taking anything away from homage to her.

John,
You completely missed the opportunity to bash me for also mentioning keeping Scriptures in their packaging? Slow day?

For the record, I have been very impressed with what the entire Snyder family has done in both business and support of drag racing. It's truly sad to hear of Esther's passing and I apologize for not directing more of my previous remarks to her passing. She will be missed and I again am very sorry for taking anything away from homage to her.

Bobby,
Nothing wrong in keeping Christ in Christmas. Something very wrong in drooling over dollars in an RIP thread.

Kurt,
Overreacting. No. Offended. No. Tactless in an RIP therad. Yes.
John

That's just GREAT!!! :)

Particularly in a time where retailers are reducing Christmas to just "winter" or "Holiday"

The retailers are doing that because the vocal minority is more active then the majority of Americans who want 'Christmas' to remain the Holiday we celebrate on December 25. If we don't speak as loud or louder then they do, we'll get what we deserve.

Just why did you think this thread was placed in the NHRA section anyway? There's lots of corporation founders passing away every day but they are not mentioned here? Why do you suppose that is?
My guess is the result of their long-term relationship with our sport.

Come on guys, cool your jets. This wasn't posted to start a controversy. And yes, I did post this in NHRA because In-N-Out Burgers have had a long time connection with drag racing. Personally, I've never been to one, but I've heard them mentioned many, many times in conversations with SoCal folks.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back