Improving the show idea's (1 Viewer)

Mike, why would purging not be the best for the engine? I had heard that the reason they purge so much is to "balance" the amount of nitrous before launch. Maybe balance isn't the right word.

Pomona - 2008 NHRA Finals.

Throttle whacks already in decline, but Brandon Bernstein was one who'd still been doing them.

I'm standing by Brandon's pit, awaiting the warm-up and the whack. In front of me, two smart, business-looking fellows, one evidently a newbie.

"This you've got to experience," says the friend to the newbie.

Fire up, warm up, shutoff. But no whack.

Newbie's response: "Meh."

All that warm up Side Show and ultra long burn outs are great for having people go "Uh - Ah" but it all comes at a cost. The warm up with "Wacking the Throttle" might have sounded good in the pits, but wasn't really very efficient. The clutch technology has since been so refined that in todays world that car would almost be assured to be a "First Round Runner Up". The "Burn Out" now is not a SWAG deal. It is absolutely pre planned as to how many seconds the clutch is loaded and how long it takes to back up for heat as well as how much fuel is burned. The winning Crew Chiefs would most likely all be Bald from pulling their hair out and be chewing heart pressure pills like they were M&Ms because they keep records on how long the Motor runs almost to a couple of seconds. Next "Dry Hops" with 11,000 HP Motors that idle at 2500/2600+ RPM's with all those people at the Starting Line would require an extra Crash crew near the front of staging. Parts are only good for so many runs with out the extra stress on them and last I heard they are still charging for Nitro. Lastly down time for clean up would probably be back just like it was in the Good Old Days. You can have a Circus or fast cars with mostly good side by side racing, but in todays world you really can't have both.

All that warm up Side Show and ultra long burn outs are great for having people go "Uh - Ah" but it all comes at a cost. The warm up with "Wacking the Throttle" might have sounded good in the pits, but wasn't really very efficient. The clutch technology has since been so refined that in todays world that car would almost be assured to be a "First Round Runner Up". The "Burn Out" now is not a SWAG deal. It is absolutely pre planned as to how many seconds the clutch is loaded and how long it takes to back up for heat as well as how much fuel is burned. The winning Crew Chiefs would most likely all be Bald from pulling their hair out and be chewing heart pressure pills like they were M&Ms because they keep records on how long the Motor runs almost to a couple of seconds. Next "Dry Hops" with 11,000 HP Motors that idle at 2500/2600+ RPM's with all those people at the Starting Line would require an extra Crash crew near the front of staging. Parts are only good for so many runs with out the extra stress on them and last I heard they are still charging for Nitro. Lastly down time for clean up would probably be back just like it was in the Good Old Days. You can have a Circus or fast cars with mostly good side by side racing, but in todays world you really can't have both.
Del Worsham/ Alexia were wacking the throttle and they seem to be running pretty good at the end of the year. I'm certainly not a crew chief , but I think the jury's still out.

Del Worsham/ Alexia were wacking the throttle and they seem to be running pretty good at the end of the year. I'm certainly not a crew chief , but I think the jury's still out.
As well as fan attendance the more they make it like slot cars placed at starting line and flip the switch

If the technology is losing the show, especially for the new fan, change the technology. It is a survival issue.

I remember Lance Larson telling Dean Skusa they are being paid to put on a show, when he was asked about something to do with the Burn Out.

I believe throttle wacks would bring more fans to the track. It’s entertainment and the fans absolutely love it. I think NHRA should mandate at least 1 throttle wack every warm up. I’m sure many crew chiefs would be against it and view it as a disadvantage. If so it would be the same disadvantage for everyone.

one year i fired a .36 cal. rifle in the woods deer hunting with lite fresh snow on the branches. no wind. below 32 temp. still as could be.
the concussion of the shot knocked the fresh snow off the branches all around me. i thought immediately, this is just like a throttle wack.

Tony can correct me, but the 'whacks' were to put initial wear on the clutch or "seat it" (I always thought it was to square the pack).
I don't know. I didn't race in the stone ages and apparently after reading some of these posts, we should bring back the steam locomotive and the cotton gin.

Improving the Show?
It always comes down to our opinions as to what the show should be.
Some want a PT Barnum and Bailey Circus act.
Others want a Bonneville Salt Flats, hardcore racing experience.
I’ve been to both and enjoyed both… but there’s a HUGE difference.

Throttle whacks, dry hops and long smokey burnouts, pedal fests, very short track prep time and the occasional non-injury blowover or body launch = “The Show” for some.

New speed and ET records, arrow straight runs, side by side finishes, great reaction times and NO Downtime other than the required hours of track prep = “An Awesome Event” for some.

Notice that the two lists are impossible to put into one “Show/Event” as they aren’t compatible. That is what NHRA deals with and it’s impossible to please everyone. NHRA needs to keep their legions of fans plus the racers, car owners and both the racer’s and NHRA’s $ponsor$ happy.

What’s “the show” that works best to NHRA’s long term success? Only those with NHRA's national event detailed financial statistics know for sure and unfortunately... “that ain’t us”.

One sure thing though… drag racers, car owners and fans are drag race fanatics and have strong and sometimes, heated opinions. Therefore… whatever NHRA puts on its national event stage will never please everyone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back