Is there something wrong with Larry Dixon's Car? (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
So, I'm watching the race on ESPN 2 right now, and have noticed...for the 3rd race in a row, in the 1st round that Larry Dixon Jr. is having the Rear end SLIDE OUT on his burnout again. I have never noticed this to be a "NORMAL" thing. What causes this, and is there possibly something wrong with the car? I understand the wheels are spinning and not under a good "CONTACT PATCH", but it just seems weird. Anyone have idea's?

Timmah

It happens with doug kalitta's car too. I believe Mike Dunn said before it is from the wheels spinning and the driver not keeping the car straight.

I cant remember but does Dixon roll through the water box into his burnout, or does he stop in the box?
When ever we would stop in the box you never knew what way the rail would go. But by rolling through we had enough momentum to keep going straight.

I cant remember but does Dixon roll through the water box into his burnout, or does he stop in the box?
When ever we would stop in the box you never knew what way the rail would go. But by rolling through we had enough momentum to keep going straight.

He keeps it rolling...as do most FUEL DRAGSTERS... I get a pretty good view from the burnout box at a few races each year....To keep it straight...That's why I was wondering about this....Once in a while..I understand, but 3 races in a row???

Sometimes these tracks will have a grade to to them for drainage purposes and that will make the rear end kick out...Martin, MI is one that comes to mind. Also, to much water in the water box will do it and a lack of rubber on the burnout area right after the water box. Cars that have a higher burnout rpm will have more trouble with this.

I really don't think it makes a difference for us, because we never back up in our burnout track anyways.

Last edited:

I can't recall seeing a TF stop in the water box - as Tim said they do roll through. Interestingly, the Army team pushes Tony through the water, reportedly to control clutch heat. As for Doug kicking the rear out on his burnouts (which happens often), I'd have to say . . . sprint car flashback? :D

Tony, you bring up a good point about the water... He was 1st pair out..and us WATERBOX GUYS get a BIT "AMPED" up for 1st round and tend to "FLOOD" the box a bit...But, historically, Dixon's guys like their to be a LAKE with Donnie Bender tunin. With DICK-O, he wanted ZERO PUDDLES, but a long strip of water, and pretty thin closer to the track.

I can't recall seeing a TF stop in the water box - as Tim said they do roll through. Interestingly, the Army team pushes Tony through the water, reportedly to control clutch heat. As for Doug kicking the rear out on his burnouts (which happens often), I'd have to say . . . sprint car flashback? :D

Team Kalitta cars are very simular to Dixon's as far as the WATER AMOUNT in the box is concerned. The Brother's "O" like some H2O in the box as well...Maybe were on to something here:cool:

That stands to reason because Donnie, Jim & Jon have all worked together before. I really like Donnie Bender; but sometimes I'm almost "afraid" to talk about him for fear of disturbing a sleeping giant. Don't kid yourself - Him, Larry & Snake have the ability to break everyone's back on raceday and walk out of any track out there with the Wally, and they have no qualms about doing it. When Donnie's "feelin' it"..... all I can say is look the hell out!

Brandon Bernstein had his car WAAAY sideways in one of his burnouts they showed on the coverage yesterday too.

when i do a burn out when the water box is a lake i just roll alittle further out to get some of the water off the tires(i do rolling burnouts). you do sometimes carry the water further on one tire which will kick the rear around on you. when i ran the funny car out there in jan. the right lane would kick you out just alittle more then the left lane. if the left lanes water box was alittle to full it seemed to slop more so the water would build up on the left more and that would kick you but the right lane just had something about it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back