2008 Gateway Rapid's Weekend (1 Viewer)

RAPID

Nitro Member
2008 MUSCLE CAR REUNION

John Troxel put on the Muscle Car Reunion this past weekend at the fabled Gateway Dragstrip. He hired locals, Jake Jacobsmeyer and Danny Miller to match race their Nitro Funnycars. Then to just add even more for the fans to enjoy, the race weekend was filled with Alky Funnycars, Gassers, and legends of the sport Big Daddy, Roland, Larry Reyes. Now add in some of the most famous cars ever to run down the strip, and you can almost imagine how much fun this race was to attend. For those who have never been to Gateway, you are missing out. This is a first class facility all the way around. I don’t believe I saw a single track or race personnel without a big smile all weekend long. It was just that cool of an event to be a part of.

For those who hate to wait to find out about the racing I will fill in the stats right off the bat. We left nearly together and I got a little payback on Jake from KCIR. We ran 6.52 for the win, and Jake was right there with me running a 6.67. I was talking to a racer who I respect the other night on the phone. He was busting my chops for not posting the numbers from the KCIR runs. So here are my numbers from the run; 1.09 60-foot, 2.84 330-ft, 175.62 mph at the 1/8th, 5.46 1000-ft, and 6.52 @ 207.98 MPH.

We originally were to make a single pass for the match race on Saturday night to end the show. About 1-hour before we were to run, the rain decided to visit the track after a sunny day. Jake and Danny could have just packed it in, but both agreed to come back and run on Sunday to help out John. I thought that was pretty cool of them.

Since both cars were serviced and ready to run, both teams decided to do the warm-up on the starting line as an added treat for the fans. It was decided that we would fire first, and then do our normal burnout. Then Jake would fire and do his burnout while I was backing up. At KCIR we did side by side burnouts, which I thought was pretty neat. By changing it up for Gateway, the crowd got to focus on one car at a time doing the burnout. When I got behind the line, I rolled forward almost to the tree and did a test launch. Most of you who have been watching Funnycars for a while will remember this used to be the normal deal. From my standpoint, it was cool as it was like getting a bonus round of fun in the car. When the car launched, I thought to myself Frank Oglesby would be grinning ear to ear right now seeing this. When I got back behind the line, Jake was ready and did a nice big dry hop, then I did one, then he did another, I did one more and we both rolled on into the beams.

The plan worked out perfectly. I had said to Jake back in the lanes that since this was his home track and I had never been here that I should leave first and would lead the 1st quarter mile, then after the finish line he could lead us both to the return road. As it turns out that is exactly what happened. I was lucky to pull out this win, as we were low on fuel by the time the car crossed the finish line.

I can’t think of a group of guys I would rather hang around and race with than Jake, Mike, and Mark. Both our teams have a lot of fun running together. I can’t wait to do it again.

Danny Miller’s company, Rear Gears, is located in St. Louis. To say he had a lot of customers, friends, and family there would be the understatement of the year. Our pits were packed, and there were people wearing Plastic Fantastic tee-shirts everywhere you looked it seemed.

The race team for the weekend was made up of the usual suspects, Seth, Rich, Harry, Dorothy, Danny and I. We had an extra bonus in my cousin Kelly {KB} rode along with me to help as well. He had better be careful or we will snag him for the summer tour. There was also a ton of guys from the Internet it was great to meet or see again. No way am I going to try to name all of them, but it was great to finally put a face to a name from the various boards I visit.

When I was talking to Laura about going it went something like this:
“Laura, are you going along this weekend to St. Louis?”
Her reply, “How many runs again?”
Just One, I said.
Next she asked, “How long is the drive?”
I responded with about 6-hours or so. Are you coming?
She then asked, “What time are you leaving?”
I said, “5-AM”.
She said, “Have a great weekend honey and be sure to call me after you run!” I called her a lightweight, and ducked before I got hit with something.

It was really a fun weekend. KB, and I got there early enough on Saturday to be able to walk through the Alky Funnycar pits and talk to all the good guys who were there. I think I got to see all of the teams at one time or another. I even spent some time talking to the pipe rack guys who were there. Oh, come on Robin, {Whiz Kids Racing A-Fuel Car} that was a joke.

On Sunday morning Danny, KB, and I went over to the legends of the sport area. I got to meet Larry Reyes and his wife. Of course him and Danny knew each other from before when the raced each other. It was early in the day, so we got to spend about ½-hour visiting and getting some photos together. There was an incredible group of cars over in that area as well.

We were just ready to go back to the pits, and ran into Roland. Danny and I had met him at the March Meet. We ended up talking with him for another 45-minutes or so. It was good to compare some Nitro notes and hear some of his racing stories.

I hope you enjoyed reading my, “What I did Last Weekend Story.”

Rapid

It really was a great weekend, wasn't it Rapid?! I'm just pi$$ed that I didn't find out until the race was practically over that you were going to be there. If I knew, I would've dropped by and said hello.

It sounds like you had a pretty good weekend, even though you got cut short by the liquid sunshine Saturday night. It almost got us too. Look forward to seeing you in Indy this weekend!

Sean D

Great story Rapid! Thanks for posting it. Sounds like a great weekend. Wish I was there.

Oh yes, This old fart remembers the dry hops alright.
oldfart.gif
I'm still upset they don't do them any more.

Any chance for some pictures down the road????

Great story Rapid! Thanks for posting it. Sounds like a great weekend. Wish I was there.

oldfart.gif

If I get any, I will post them for you guys. :D

Rapid

oldfart.gif

Dry Hops... yeah, two or three sometimes... turn the top bulb on and test launch, one of the best parts of an 'open' show...

read both sides of Danny O's car at a points meet at The County, the Yellow Mustang... no crossing the line at Points Meets... quicky smoke, then crossed up leaps to the line...

Best dry hops, Rich Siroonian in Big John's EE 'cuda, the 68/69 car... dry hops were best with a fully sprung car... Flash wasn't to bad either, Clyde Morgan, that Liberman kid wasn't to shabby in that blue nova...

d'kid...

Thanks everyone. :)

Mike looking forward to seeing you again. Well shall see about the other part mister!!!! :D

Rapid

THis was awesome event,my first nastalgia event ever ,Ive been going to national events for 30 +yrs and never saw a more relaxed laid back event . WEll done

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back