I'm no JFR hater, but... (1 Viewer)

smokemasterJ

Nitro Member
Neff throws up an .20 light against Hight's .08. Hmmm, like I said I'm not a hater but that is WAY beyond late. Maybe he was still feeling the rush from saving Courtney's run (which I know I read this morning, but has since been removed from NHRA resuilts) by getting the car into forward after the reversing from the burn-out.

He flinched, plain and simple. And he was PISSED! at himself. Nothing more than that.

Alan

Don't get me wrong, Mike is the man. Anyone who can do what he and Timmy W. do is a rock-solid stud in my book. But you've got to wonder why he's had the number of miscues he's had. Is being in charge of thrashing a car so draining it distracts the driver from a great sequence on the line?

Can't remember the race, but Mr. Neff admitted he hadn't eaten all day and that equaled a bad leave.

My question is this: is doing both too much? Can a driver be a crew chief and do it as well as the other very good teams he's trying to beat who have the responsibilities divvied up between more people?

Also ... so I don't get mugged again in another dark alley: Not a Force hater, not an anyone hater; just seems like too much responsibility in today's ultra-competitive FC game.

Yes? No?

Don't get me wrong, Mike is the man. Anyone who can do what he and Timmy W. do is a rock-solid stud in my book. But you've got to wonder why he's had the number of miscues he's had. Is being in charge of thrashing a car so draining it distracts the driver from a great sequence on the line?

Can't remember the race, but Mr. Neff admitted he hadn't eaten all day and that equaled a bad leave.

My question is this: is doing both too much? Can a driver be a crew chief and do it as well as the other very good teams he's trying to beat who have the responsibilities divvied up between more people?

Also ... so I don't get mugged again in another dark alley: Not a Force hater, not an anyone hater; just seems like too much responsibility in today's ultra-competitive FC game.

Yes? No?

Ever heard of Tim Wilkerson? Or Jim Head?

Alan

Neff throws up an .20 light against Hight's .08. Hmmm, like I said I'm not a hater but that is WAY beyond late. Maybe he was still feeling the rush from saving Courtney's run (which I know I read this morning, but has since been removed from NHRA resuilts) by getting the car into forward after the reversing from the burn-out.

Yup..Neff took one for the team...just like Capps did in the final so Johnny Gray could get into the Traxxas shootout...:rolleyes:

How about Jason Line's 200mph speed as he backed off to give the Camaro it's maiden win.

How about Jason Line's 200mph speed as he backed off to give the Camaro it's maiden win.

that definitely looked suspicious, and i'm a 'huge KB Racing fan'. They been really talkin' this camaro up, perhaps there tryin' to draw Chevrolet back in to NHRA pro stock and what better way to do that, than by showing the camaro winning on Greg's first time out with it !!

that definitely looked suspicious, and i'm a 'huge KB Racing fan'. They been really talkin' this camaro up, perhaps there tryin' to draw Chevrolet back in to NHRA pro stock and what better way to do that, than by showing the camaro winning on Greg's first time out with it !!

Couple that with KB Racing's 100th win ...

I don't think Zippy did anything but miss the tree. Happens sometimes.

Alan,

All due respect to your years in the sport. Not to mention what you bring to the broadcast/entertainment end of things. But if you'll check, you'll note I did mention Mr. Wilkerson. Alas, I missed Mr. Head, probably the smartest and most innovative of the bunch.

But I wasn't asking whether anyone else did the CC/Driver thing, but rather what another poster pointed out: that is this the reason why Tim and Jim are, at least at this point, not frequently a factor on Sunday? Mr. Neff, on the other hand, is usually much more so in the hunt. But it seems bad lights and lapsed concentration erases much of the performance edge he enjoys.

The question stands, "Is it just too much to expect of one person to wear both hats given the level of competition?"

By the way, stretch ... watch for the shadow your tall frame throws over those itty bitty drivers. It's like watching an eclipse in some shots.:D

Pretty sure Neff just lost concentration; he's done it more than once before against people he most certainly was trying to beat. As for Anderson - well, Line should have done a more convincing job of diving. That one was pretty obvious. "I dunno, Graham, it just shut off....."

Congrats to the new Camaro tho....I think the 'flying brick' comments have been put to rest for good, being as it ran 211MPH+ all weekend long.

I'm not the biggest JFR fan, but crap happends to every driver from time to time.

Anybody say anything about Capp's .1plus reaction time vs Beckman?

A thank you for letting NAPA money prevail?

It's unbelievable, the pressure to qualify a fuel car as a crew chief, then drive it, then try an go rounds-------------oh and by the way, cut a great or even decent light while you're at it please. I'm amazed he can do what he does.

The other race Neff was dead late was the final round in Pomona vs. John. Sorry, but there was no reason for Mike to throw a race this early in the year. He just made a mistake.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back