I think I'm gonna park the dirtbike for a while. (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Nitro Member
We rode our dirtbikes for several hours on Sunday. I took 2 of Dean's friends and let them share time with me on my Honda CRF-230 and with Dean on his XR-100. And another one of his buddies was out there with his Dad and bike. We rode on the track and through some trails.

Well, I decided to go off to the trails by myself towards the end of the day. DUMB! I don't let them do it, so why did I? I wrecked....BAD! I'm not sure what happened, but I got 'a little out of the groove' and into some deep sand. I hit my right knee dead on and flipped up and landed directly on the top of my right shoulder. Your immediate reaction is to get up and off the trail. That's when I dropped to my butt! Anytime I moved anything....my right shoulder would be in excrutiating pain. I couldn't even pick the bike up with my left arm.....it hurt the other side too badly. So, I waited.....

It seemed like I was back there forever when one of Dean's buddies came by on his bike. He helped me get my bike up and I tried to get on it. Nope! Not gonna happen. I managed to get on Dean's bike (it's alot smaller), but I could hardly kick start it or throttle it out of there. I made it back to the car somehow. There was only one other kid there. Everybody else was either riding or watching the riding on the track. So, the 2 asked me if I was OK. I uttered 'yep....go have fun' and they took off on both bikes. I went to sit on the trailer and my legs dropped out from under me. I was shaking.....I've never had pain like that.

So, they mosey over about 20 minutes later and I said I'm gonna need some help trailering the bikes. The one kid's Dad could tell how much pain I was in. I don't even know how I managed to drive home.

We got home and they got the trailer off my car and in the garage. I had decided it was time to tell them to take me to the ER. I got in my car to move it and out of habit went to grab the gear shift with my right arm. I heard a bunch of popping and crackling. WOW! It scared me, but all of a sudden.....I wasn't in as much pain. I could actually move the rest of my body without disturbing the right shoulder. THEN I focused on the knee.....holy crap! It was extremely swollen.

<SIGH> So, I laid in bed watching the finals and trying to decide if I was gonna make it. I had ice in 2 spots....and feeling like I got hit by a bus.

Long story short.....too late, huh? Went to my General Practitioner yesterday and got x-rays. Took them to the Ortho Doc today and he thinks I have a Grade I separation of my AC joint in my shoulder. The ligment is stretched or slightly torn where the collar bone meets the shoulder blade. According to what I told him, he thinks at one point it was partially dislocated and that I got it back in place. He wasn't worried about my knee based on the physical exam. So.......no MRI for now unless I don't get any better in a week or so.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to limit your movement in your right shoulder when you are right handed? I do!

So........I think I'm gonna take a break from the dirtbike for a bit. It takes too damn long to heal nowadays! All in all it could have been alot worse!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Hope you're feeling better soon! We ain't as young as we used to be ;) and that sucks.;)..takes longer to heal.

We rode our dirtbikes for several hours on Sunday. I took 2 of Dean's friends and let them share time with me on my Honda CRF-230 and with Dean on his XR-100. And another one of his buddies was out there with his Dad and bike. We rode on the track and through some trails.

Well, I decided to go off to the trails by myself towards the end of the day. DUMB! I don't let them do it, so why did I? I wrecked....BAD! I'm not sure what happened, but I got 'a little out of the groove' and into some deep sand. I hit my right knee dead on and flipped up and landed directly on the top of my right shoulder. Your immediate reaction is to get up and off the trail. That's when I dropped to my butt! Anytime I moved anything....my right shoulder would be in excrutiating pain. I couldn't even pick the bike up with my left arm.....it hurt the other side too badly. So, I waited.....

It seemed like I was back there forever when one of Dean's buddies came by on his bike. He helped me get my bike up and I tried to get on it. Nope! Not gonna happen. I managed to get on Dean's bike (it's alot smaller), but I could hardly kick start it or throttle it out of there. I made it back to the car somehow. There was only one other kid there. Everybody else was either riding or watching the riding on the track. So, the 2 asked me if I was OK. I uttered 'yep....go have fun' and they took off on both bikes. I went to sit on the trailer and my legs dropped out from under me. I was shaking.....I've never had pain like that.

So, they mosey over about 20 minutes later and I said I'm gonna need some help trailering the bikes. The one kid's Dad could tell how much pain I was in. I don't even know how I managed to drive home.

We got home and they got the trailer off my car and in the garage. I had decided it was time to tell them to take me to the ER. I got in my car to move it and out of habit went to grab the gear shift with my right arm. I heard a bunch of popping and crackling. WOW! It scared me, but all of a sudden.....I wasn't in as much pain. I could actually move the rest of my body without disturbing the right shoulder. THEN I focused on the knee.....holy crap! It was extremely swollen.

<SIGH> So, I laid in bed watching the finals and trying to decide if I was gonna make it. I had ice in 2 spots....and feeling like I got hit by a bus.

Long story short.....too late, huh? Went to my General Practitioner yesterday and got x-rays. Took them to the Ortho Doc today and he thinks I have a Grade I separation of my AC joint in my shoulder. The ligment is stretched or slightly torn where the collar bone meets the shoulder blade. According to what I told him, he thinks at one point it was partially dislocated and that I got it back in place. He wasn't worried about my knee based on the physical exam. So.......no MRI for now unless I don't get any better in a week or so.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to limit your movement in your right shoulder when you are right handed? I do!

So........I think I'm gonna take a break from the dirtbike for a bit. It takes too damn long to heal nowadays! All in all it could have been alot worse!

My sympathies Kelly! Had a very similar injury to my right shoulder in March when my car got rear ended sitting at a stop sign. Was bad enough that when my competition license came due in April the doctor told me to forget it for this season cause even if it gets feeling better, launches in an 8 sec car could easily reinjure it and cause an accident...and then the physical therapy started....If you need a support group of one, pm me any time!

Ouch! Sorry to hear this Kelly. I've had two shoulder surgery's and it's no fun. Hopefully you don't have any major tears. Best of luck with it. Hope you heal up quickly. :)

Hope you get better soon. I parked my dirt bike 20 some years ago. somewhat similar reason. riding alone. high speed on a dirt fire road. Sat on my seat. rear wheel hit a small stump in the road and i was catapulted over the bars at full speed. I basically slid for about 75 feet and didn't even get bruised. But i got to thinking. No one would have found me for perhaps a day or two. Told myself I was too old to play with a functionally obsolete motocross bike (a CZ 250) and parked it forever.

Wow Kelly....not exactly the kind of weekend you want to do over again!

Sorry it turned out so crappy...but yep...it could have been worse.

Maybe we can get Ron to come over and take a look at that knee for ya....wonder how his bedside manner is? ;)

Hate to hear that Kelly. If you need anything let me know. You know how much of a super NHRA fan you are? Everyone else in Pomona was taking dives so you decided to take one too!!!

Justin

Youch! Sounds really painful. Hope you're doing ok.

I think I know a little about how you feel.

About five years ago, I was riding my BIL's Polaris four wheeler around his farm. Went up a hill too fast, got some air, and on the way down, realized there was an immediate ridge going back up the other side. The four wheeler landed square onto the nose guard, I went over the handle bars and did a monster face plant in the dirt. Nailed my knees on the handle bars in the process. No helmet of course. (Yeah, I know, pretty dumb!) I wasn't knocked out, but boy, while spitting out a mouthful of cornfield, (It should be remembered that all that is brown in a farm field is not necessarily dirt!) I was seeing stars, planets, novas, black holes, the whole universe for a couple of minutes. And my knees hurt like crazy. Luckily, he'd just plowed that field so the dirt wasn't rock hard. I was plenty sore for a few days, and haven't spent much time on his machine since, preferring to watch other people do painful and stupid things to themselves, thank you.

I feel your pain.

Last edited:
ooohh Kelly, you have my sympathy! What every you do, DO NOT, DO NOT, let your self get 'frozen shoulder'.

Two years ago, we were getting ready to go to the Denver divisional and I was waiting for some help to move some engines around so I could load up my ATV. I decided to wash windows in the toter home and as I was washing the drivers side door, I missed the step (there are two built into the fuel tank) and my right elbow hit the arm rest and caught my fall. It tore most of the ligaments and tendons in my arm that connect it to my shoulder and tore the rotater cuff. I was supposed to walk around with my arm in a sling for six weeks. Of course, I didn't and that legthened the recovery time.

A day before it would have been a year since I initially injured it, I was getting out of the roadster and my arm got caught and wrenched behind me. Reaggrivating the initial injury. I didn't want to go back to the doctor, deciding that I would just baby it, and it turned out, I babied it too much and it became frozen. Pain, Pain, Pain. It took nearly three months to get my arm in near full rotation and I still don't have all the strength in it. Top if off, Now I have arthritis in it at the ripe old age of 25.

Lucky for me, it was my right shoulder and I am left handed but oooh, the pain!

20070322203423-crash-moto.jpg

Ouch! So sorry to hear 'bout that Kelly!

Card-FeelBetterBear.jpg

Wishing you a speedy recovery but take it slow an easy for now.
Oh, and make everyone treat you like a queen!:D

Sorry to hear about your fall Kelly. I did almost the EXACT same thing Memorial Day 2003. It was getting dark and I was riding my BIL's ATV on logging trails in Oregon near where they lived. Well, I had to get one last ride in before it got dark. Going up the trail was no problem, but it was dead dark coming back down. I didn't see a turn on the trail (and I was going too fast of course) and I went straight thru the turn and it dropped off about 12 foot, straight down into a pond. I wound up upside down in the pond with the bike on top of me! I pushed the bike off climbed up and out, my only injury was lungs full of water and a burn on my left leg from the exhaust on the ATV. It took weeks for the water to fully be out of my lungs and boy did it hurt. The incident scared me so bad that when I got back to Vegas, I cancelled my order for a Ducati 748SS and bought a Corvette instead. I still kinda wish I had the Ducati, but I would probably be dead.

Get better kid!!

You take it slow, Kell.

Listen to the doctor..and don't drink a lot with those pain pills..hehe :)

Just get well soon and proper..so you won't be messing with it later in life.

Will be thinking of ya..

Kel, all I can is say is OOOuuucccchhhhhh!!!!!! The last time I ever rode a motorcycle, I wiped out on a buddy's dirt bike in 1984. Granted, I didn't have a lot of experience, but it was a small bike and I could handle it fine. Except when I went thru some very wet, muddy soil and skidded thru a wood picket fence with my foot leading the way. I broke it and vowed I'd never get on a motorcycle again. 23 years later, I still haven't.

I hope you heal quickly.

Thanks y'all! I can move it around a bit....small movements. Using the mouse and typing's fine.....which is a good thing cuz of work. But I keep forgetting about large movements and lifting stuff when I'm not wearing the sling.

Kel, if you`d have been in Pomona this wouldn`t have happened. You`d only been nursing a slight headache on Monday morning, instead of a shoulder separation. Use up some of your sick leave, rest up and get well! Hope you`re feeling better soon.

Kelly Sorry about your accident, I came close to Hurting myself Bad on a Banshie a few years ago! I hadn't ridin anything off-road since I was a kid and I had No protective gear on to speak of. It's so easy to get careless on those things and I Thank God I dodged that Bullit!

Damn Kelly that stinks, I hope you recover fast, and fully too, it'll probably be pretty sore for a while though so take it easy, now you'll have to learn how to drink left handed, well maybe not, you're probably already pretty good at it. :)

Get well soon Kelly. Stick with those small movements for a while. After my shoulder surgery, I was in the very early stages of physical therapy, I had a sheet of paper blow off the hood of my work truck. I instinctively reached for it with my hurt shoulder. It hurt so bad, I followed my arm all the way to the ground. After that I kept my arm in the sling, where it belonged.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back