I'll start with this-- Zoo Pics (1 Viewer)

joe,
look at BIR on google earth........draw line from turn 6 of road course to
finish line of dragstrip; everything to east of this imaginary is the zoo,
dashed lines to west of line are reserved campground.
(turn 1 is at end of long straight/dragstrip)

The entire complex is 560 or 580 acres, I'd guess that the campgrounds are 200ish?

Wow 560 acres is damn near 1 sq. mi, and that is Huge! Even 200 acres for a camping area is awesome, they must get several thousands campers for this gig! What gets me is half the campers don't attend the drags, this must look like a little Woodstock minus the Music!

Wow 560 acres is damn near 1 sq. mi, and that is Huge! Even 200 acres for a camping area is awesome, they must get several thousands campers for this gig! What gets me is half the campers don't attend the drags, this must look like a little Woodstock minus the Music!

they have bands every night! :D

no, the music is included.
live bands for about 5 hours every nite thurs. thru sat.

for BIR regulars, did notice 'pop's' has sold out. bought hamburger at
his stand about 1am sat. night - asked kid if 'paps' was around, kid says
'he's not here anymore, but that guy must be a legend around here, everyone
asks about him'.

his food stands at track have always been called 'ma and pa's' - last
scenario was he had 'zoo' area with 'pa's' stand and wife had 'ma's' stand
thru tunnel on tower side of track.
guy has been @ BIR for 30+ years i believe.........great guy.

brain.jpg

After scaling off on our drafting software here at work (great use of resources), I get a zoo area of

3,836,946 square feet or
88 acres or
0.1376 sq miles

This is only zoo area (hatched) - not including RV camping, or family camping.

This must be an old image

That looks like a wild race; I have to go sometime. Any of you zoo-goers follow the Gophers/BullDogs/Mavericks hockey ? ;)

While watching the re-air of the race last night I noticed the campsite where Mike Dunn did his interview looked very familiar. Sure enough, it's the same site where I spent a bit of my time over the week/weekend.

BIRZOO1.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see a certain drawing on the bar top...... Those were drawn on the bar on Tuesday night while I was standing right there. Oh and, those were not drawn free hand, they were traced! :D

BIRZOO2.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back