BIR 2013- Notes, Quotes, and Pics (NSFW?) (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
BIR 2013- Notes, Quotes, and Pics

First off, I had a great time at BIR this year. Weather was great, action was great on and off the track. It was great hanging out with all the regulars, if I missed you this year, I'll see you next year.

Clay Millican- Man I thought it was going to be his weekend. #1, low et, just picked a bad time to make one of his slowest runs.

Bob Bode- Since his win, he has been a crowd favorite. There was a loud cheer from the crowd when Bob put up that last run that got him in the show.

Alice Bode- I went down to check out the damage after his Q4 fire, and she was at the ropes giving away Bode Racing T-shirts to the fans there. She ran out of shirts, went back in the truck, came outside with all she could carry and handed all those out as well. Wow!

Al-Anabi- Lots of rumors floating around here. I know this is the last year of the contract, and I heard several different things. Whatever the case is, 2014 will be different then it has been. Part of me thinks there is already a little bit of division in that camp. If you go to any of the races for the rest of the year, see if you can pick up what I saw.

Joe Castello- Caught up with him in the Zoo at Judge's bar, pretty cool guy. I know it was his first time out there, and I just wanted to say thanks for coming out. He even gave me a WFO sticker.

Courtney Force- Every single time I walked past her place, she was at the ropes with fans, signing things, and taking pictures. She spent a lot of time out with the fans.

Cruz Pedregon- Damn bro can't we all get along??

Jeff Arend- Bad luck award. Of all the crazy stuff I have seen drivers do back in the zoo, stage dive at the concert, rickshaw races, mechanical bull, he brakes his foot in the parking lot back in the pits. Bummer

Fireworks- Bad ass!

Drivers/Crews in the Zoo- Every year, a ton of drivers and crew chiefs/crew guys come hang out. Some come out in full team gear, some come out in street clothes just trying to blend in. They are always very nice and fun to hang out with. There are several hot spots out in the Zoo, and at any time you can be elbow to elbow with guys like Antron Brown, Alan Johnson, Mark Oswald, Lagana Brothers, Del, Jim O, and lots more. Most times you don't even know they are there unless you specificly look for them. Thy are there just like anybody else, having a good time, seeing the sights and checking things out like the average Joe.

Best Quotes-

Person in the stands-
"Hey who is up next in top fuel??"
"Ah.. looks like The Greek, and...... The Leak!!!!"

--Just before Q2 started. (they didn't run eachother, but it looked like they might at one time)

Alan Johnson
"Hey look... Al-Anabi... Looks like them $%$#$ just park wherever they want!"

-- I was following behind Alan Johnsons golf cart on the way back to one of the popular spots back in the zoo. There must have been 100 golf carts/4 wheelers/scooters out there. Of all the places to park, he pulls into a place, and right next to him is a team Al-Anabi golf cart.

One popular nitro driver
"Ok look..... Listen up.... We ain't voting for a winner unless we see some titties!!!"

-- There is a great costume party every yeat on Sat night at one of the popular Zoo spots. There was a bunch of drivers out there as judges, and after a few very busty girls went across the stage, one driver got up, took the microphone and made that announcement. It was sofa king funny.

Zoo regular I see up there every year
"Oh hey Paul, nice to see ya. Look, I am up with some people that were not up here last year. Whatever you do, don't tell them ANYTHING that you saw me do last year."

Pics- Sorry all I had with was my phone :(

Yup, perfect!

These fine folks (and sheep) were in a different position every day

Mobile stripper poles??? Nothing new at BIR.

Last edited:
The yearly Zoo Costume Party was awesome. Lots of good costumes. Several drivers/Safety Safari members/NHRA/ESPN people came out to watch/judge.

My best friend Nate, and Dave Rieff??

Nice one

Winners- Richard Simmons, Dave Reiff (with real Dave Reiff) and Wally (winner)
Team Geico guy was the MC.

Some Zoo shots

Judges Bar or otherwise known as Jag bar. Great music and dancing. Known for having Jägermeister and Jag Bomb shots available for a small donation. Also known for tracing certain female body parts on the bar top. (they bring a fresh bar and plenty of sharpies every year.) I was told they went through 240 bottles of Jag this year. This is a very popular spot in the way back of the Zoo. You will find a lot of drivers and crew guys here.

This is from Camp Pallet, about 3:00 am on Friday night. Still going pretty good. This is another hot spot in the zoo, plenty of drivers/crews here also. They bring a couple 18 wheelers of pallets in to burn for the entire week, thats where the name comes from. Good music here too.

Sumo wrestling?? Yup we got that too. Hey, isn't that Dave Connolly?? He was a good sport and had lots of fun out there.

He had quite a crowd. It sucks the picture turned out so bad, but on hand to watch included Erica Enders, Richie Stevens, Antron Brown, Mark Oswald, Brian Corradi, Rob Weinland, and more.

Well that's all for now. I can't wait for 2014!!

At least they're building the bonfires out of wood now. For a while, back in teh eighties, they were using cars...:eek:

Nice shots Paul - I'd love to make it over for Brainerd and the US Nationals next year.
What's the changes you've noticed in the Al Anabi pits?
The Bode's sound like great people - thanks for the pix!

Re: BIR 2013- Notes, Quotes, and Pics

Bob Bode- Since his win, he has been a crowd favorite. There was a loud cheer from the crowd when Bob put up that last run that got him in the show.

The grandstand got to see Bode's reaction on the return road when Alexander failed to bump him by .004. Alexander was running clean and even I thought he was going to do it, so by about 900' it seemed he was going to make it, but when the numbers came up he was just short. I heard Bob's screams from the tippy top of the stands over everyone elses cheers.

I'd imagine he was pretty much at the top of his emotions seeing as he burned up his engine trying to make it in.. heartbreaker if he woulda done that for nothing.

Al-Anabi- Lots of rumors floating around here. I know this is the last year of the contract, and I heard several different things. Whatever the case is, 2014 will be different then it has been. Part of me thinks there is already a little bit of division in that camp. If you go to any of the races for the rest of the year, see if you can pick up what I saw.

Did you hear the Manzo one about him running the show instead of AJ? My next race is Maple Grove, but I suspect some official word will be out before then.

Did you hear the Manzo one about him running the show instead of AJ? My next race is Maple Grove, but I suspect some official word will be out before then.

I heard all sorts of stuff, Manzo deal included. I've come to the conclusion AJ is a free agent, and going to the highest bidder that has long term financial backing. I agree with you on knowing something pretty soon.

Here is a crazy one- Al-Anabi does the re-shuffle and Manzo runs the deal.

Sheik Khalid also funds a team for wherever Alan ends up, but as a silent sponsor with no ties to the middle east displayed on the car.

The gold car/team will stay with Manzo, and they bring in another driver/crew.

The silver car/team as we know it now, goes with AJ wherever he lands.

I did notice AJ really spends a lot of time on the silver car, and not so much the gold car. There was one run when Balooshi was running, and Alan was not even up there to watch, he was back turning the knobs on the silver car. I might be looking into that too much, but it was just something I noticed over the weekend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back