I Knew It Was Coming (1 Viewer)

The Nascar braintrust wants the general public to know that they are the innovators in motorsports marketing.

To point out this fact, look at which story leads the "NASCAR news on the wire" section of the Nascar.com website.

NHRA adds playoff for 2007 | IndyStar.com
Indianapolis Star Sports, Thu Aug. 31

http://www.nascar.com/news/headlines/newswire/

I'm just throwing this out there without major thought (like most of my posts) I hate the thought that NHRA followed Nascar and can't come up with something original in their quest for some kind of "playoff"

Could they not maybe add an event or at the Finals in Pomona have the championship decided by then. That team qualifies first on the basis of being the champion. The rest of the field comprised of teams that have won an event that year. Call it the race of champions or something along that line and make the purse substantial. Maybe the winner of the race goes to # 2 in the standings if you're not already the champion. Maybe the # 2 team wins just as much money as a championship. Maybe if the defending champ wins this race they get...? Maybe this idea could be expanded upon what I can think up of.........;)

You'd have a very prestigeous race to end the year and winning at least one event in the year would have more importance. Its a playoff of sorts played out in one weekend.

I dunno, there has to be better way, better than what Nascar came up with anyways

There was an article in the paper about the NASCAR teams that don't make the chase. Those teams use he last part of the season to tune up for the next year. Fire drivers, crew chiefs, tune the car, etc. What's the use? It's basically shortening the season for all but 10 cars.

Under the NHRA version, those teams that don't make the cut get dropped. There's no tuning up for the next season. You're basically done.

The NASCAR version turned me off and now the NHRA version has turned me off. This is stupid.

I want to know who Compton spoke with before he adopted this "plan". What racers and car owners did he speak with? If he can't, or won't, make this information public, then, as far as I'm concerned, he didn't speak with anyone and is just blowing smoke.

I wonder if the ESPN2 announcers will be asking the racers and car owners what they think about this new system?

I'm really dislike "managed competition" and this change reeks of it...

but if they had to change it, why not take the top 16 in points after the second to the last race, invite them to the last race, and make that race winner take all...

oh wait, maybe that's been tried before?

:D

Well it looks like I'll have to edit part of my NASCAR V. NHRA article: :rolleyes:

http://www.sld72382.com/nascar-v-nhra.html

BTW, if NHRA really wants to add some things for the fans, why not do these:

Get rid of the rev limiters.
Allow PS teams to use fuel injection.
Put Pro Mod in as a professional class.
Make sure Paul Page does not come back next year.

Just told the youngest what NHRA did... he's not a Fan, but his question was WHY?...

Just me, but I don't like the idea of playoffs... understandable is stick-n-ball sports... TWO leauges, several divisions... but...

NHRA is only 1 leauge, in the PRO cats, you don't run divisional races for points... the whole season is the bloody play-offs... 23 races is equal to one Sunday in the NFL, or any 1 day out of 162 in MLB...

using that logic, NFL playoffs should start the second weekend of the season, and MLB the second day... But we're not stick-n-ball and guess what, I haven't watch a NASCAR race since they changed to the way they keep points and garbage now...

Looks like I'm gonna have to find a close IHRA track... and go back to watching alky shows...

someone already asked what the owners/drivers think about this;
i'd like to know what sponsors and potential sponsors think about this.
who could benefit more than the sponsors, especially if it's designed
to lure 'new' fans / expand customer base.
very much micky mouse for the veteran fan, but hey, they don't have
to market to us, we're already buying.

Exactly! They continue to market solely to the kids. But i think they could still tweak it more, if after the final round at Pomona they put all the drivers names in the hat (including the 1st 50 fans through the gate with their hat on backwards...lucky dog entries) and pull the Champions name out.

Take a look at what you are saying. Many of the arguments on here are made with "the little guy" in mind. Without cheating and going to Google or your back issues of Nat’l Dragster, name the driver who finished 9th in Funny Car points in 2001. Here's an easier one. Name the tenth finisher in Top Fuel last year. Can’t do it can you? Know why? Because you don’t care. So if you don’t care and can’t remember, why should the NHRA cater to these guys?

The poor downtrodden race team scratching and clawing to get into the top ten is not what puts butts in the seats and fans in front of their ESPN2 TV screens. Tight races, drama and a meaningful championship hunt do those things. Whine all you want about the little guys but when the ticket sales and TV ratings go up next year this will all be a bunch of noise the NHRA has to tune out as they pull up the Brinks truck to the bank to make another hefty deposit.
Boy, it's pretty obvious that you aren't a racer!!! If you were you know what it means to us as racers to finish in that 9th or 10th spot!

The fans may not give a shit but we as racers look admiringly at any car that carries a 1-10 finish on it!!

I wonder if the ESPN2 announcers will be asking the racers and car owners what they think about this new system?

I'm sure that they will, and you may just be surprised at the answer. I have talked to a few of the racers and so far my count is six to one in favor of the new system.

Alan

I'm sure that they will, and you may just be surprised at the answer. I have talked to a few of the racers and so far my count is six to one in favor of the new system.

Alan

That is surprising after seeing most of the posts here. I will reserve my comments on the new system and ride the fence for now.

I have been in many sporting events, games, and even races. I am sure you have too.
Ya just gotta learn to take defeat. After the game is complete, there is no benefit to fighting anymore. Just makes you look like a poor sport. So, lets take this defeat to our beloved sport, hang our heads a little, and get back to our lives.
-8/13/03-

Boy, it's pretty obvious that you aren't a racer!!! If you were you know what it means to us as racers to finish in that 9th or 10th spot!

The fans may not give a shit but we as racers look admiringly at any car that carries a 1-10 finish on it!!

You are right, I am not a racer. I do respect those that do race and work very hard to finish where they do. On the other side of the coin, although the NHRA was founded on grass roots racing, those days are long gone. Sorry we are not living in the past where the US Nationals were run on an abandoned air strip with a flag starter. Now that we have TV cameras everywhere and huge sponsors that need massaging. The struggling racer was pushed aside for corporate suites and Top Eliminator Club ticket holders years ago.

Alan Bradshaw, Mike Strasburg, Terry Haddock and others are not the ones bringing in the fans and the TV ratings. Sure, they are working just as hard (if not harder because their funds are less than the big boys) to make the top ten and I can respect that. In reality is anyone setting their Tivo to see if Doug Foley makes Sunday's show and can go a few rounds?

The NHRA is not about "doing it for the love of drag racing" anymore. If you are drag racing for the love of the sport, the competition and camaraderie, run Super Comp or Super Stock. The POWERade series is reserved for those who are professionals and who make their living off of drag racing. Wealthy privateers who have a small fortune to waste on running in the Powerade series are of no one's concern in Glendora. They do not get people excited about coming to the races. So if they serve little to no purpose to the NHRA other than filling the field to 16, why should the Glendora brass be concerned about them being shut out of possibly moving up or two spot in the standings?

The NHRA is not about "doing it for the love of drag racing" anymore. If you are drag racing for the love of the sport, the competition and camaraderie, run Super Comp or Super Stock. The POWERade series is reserved for those who are professionals and who make their living off of drag racing. Wealthy privateers who have a small fortune to waste on running in the Powerade series are of no one's concern in Glendora. They do not get people excited about coming to the races. So if they serve little to no purpose to the NHRA other than filling the field to 16, why should the Glendora brass be concerned about them being shut out of possibly moving up or two spot in the standings?
WOW! You are right. You are NOT a racer.

And probably do not know the Strasburgs, Bill Miller, or The Creasy family. Yes! I absolutely set my TIVO to see if they get in. That is the ONLY reason I watch the qualifying show. If you wanna go run SuperComp, then GO! But don't tell them they should because you do not understand their love of the sport.
Can't wait to see the TV ratings when 10 top fuel cars show up because almighty David Lamm says they are not "professional" enough and are only allowed to run supercomp. Glad you didn't make Force quit when he did it for the love of the sport, with very little sponsorship. Or anyone who has now made it, but once fought tooth and nail to get the big sponsorships, the round wins, and that earned success.
I personally feel that your statement is as closed minded as the decisions that started this post. But what would I know. . . I am not the ruler of who can and cannot race.
Should I sell my stuff Dave? Just gotta know.

I'm still taking it all in, but I'm interested to hear that the points stay with the driver. I can see a situation where a guy gets into the top eight with one owner, then another owner who hasn't made it in comes up with a big, fat check to get the driver to switch camps for the last several races. You heard it here first. bp

I still don't like it!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand what is wrong with having a RUN AWAY CHAMPION...... IF someone is that good or having a great year then why penalize them??? Whomever can score the most points wins whether by landslide victory or 1 point at the finals!!!!

A few additional things I see happening with this, now that I've had a while to digest it.

Team orders, payoffs, and flukey races will have a higher chance of occurring. Without an entire season to catch up and grab points, I can see the potential of fewer true races between race teams. Say at race 17, one teammate solidly in the top eight lines up against another who is at 9th or 10th. This is going to put incredible pressure on the teams to advance their second car so that both car sponsors are fully represented for the remaining races. I can also see non-championship contending opponents mysteriously 'breaking' or going up in smoke against well funded opponents as the funded teams attempt to hit those eight spots. Even if it's an innocent occurrence, it's going to be seen as scripted.

The Melanie Troxel situation. She dominated in early 2006, then has stumbled somewhat. Let's say that continues under the new system. This year, she has a pretty good points total and could hold on for a top five finish or even retake the lead if they figure out what ails the Skull Gear car. Next year, under the same circumstances, perhaps the biggest star of the current season (to the outside world) might not even be able to qualify to vie for the championship... or might get quickly dispatched if she did qualify. On the other hand, her teammate Tony (who didn't do much all year until recently), could dominate the late season with little regard for his poor showing early in the season.

Money will dominate even more. In past seasons, you could actually see the money run out for certain teams. They'd be doing really well all year, but as the last several races occurred (say, post Indy), they kind of stopped running as well, or more accurately, the racing teams with the money had the ability to keep purchasing new parts and they would slowly overtake their peers in the points. Starting now, every team in that final eight had better have a huge war chest, because any early season advantage you may have built up through skill or ingenuity is out the window. Not only have the big guys sneaked up on your combination, but they have lots of money. At this point of the season, there's a huge advantage to those who can keep digging into the parts pile and coming up with fresh bullets. I guess I'm dating myself at least 20 years by thinking that any of the last eight wouldn't be able to do this, but I've seen championships lost to parts attrition in the past.

Whatever happens, I'll still be recording the ETs and speeds... bp

nhra wants it to be more exciting? i guess last year right down to the last race wasnt, this year at indy andforce with a 17 pt lead, 3 top fuel cars can win it and 3 pro stockers in it isnt exciting though:confused: . it still stinks. Shumacher and alan johnson will be in test mode through 16 races andthen can pour it on from there. what about a team that works its butt off all year, has a huge points lead but at indy it all goes to zero points for the chase. then because of 2 bad races say 2 1st round losses because of the weather, they smoke the tires or an oil down or a bad lane , their now out of it! it stinks! sponsors will be lost wite it down.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back