I Knew It Was Coming (1 Viewer)

vegasnitro

Nitro Member
"Countdown to the Championship"

I figured it would not be long for other motorsports to copy the NASCAR points/playoff format. I just didn't think it would be NHRA first. Initially I was not a fan of NASCAR's format, but it definitely makes NASCAR more exciting till the end.

Will we see similar results for NHRA?

My question is this:
"Why bother to attend any of the final races if you are not in the points chase?"

Well, there will be lots of room to park in the Pro Pits at Vegas and Pomona I guess?

My question is this:
"Why bother to attend any of the final races if you are not in the points chase?"

Well, there will be lots of room to park in the Pro Pits at Vegas and Pomona I guess?

Well, think about it Bobby. Legitimately, you could say that even now. Hillary Will is in ninth place. Realistically, She's got no chance whatsover to score a championship this year. Why does her team continue to show up? (Besides the rookie chase.)

By the way, do not take my comments to mean I like this idea. I'm still thinnin' about it.

Last edited:
Well, think about it Bobby. Legitimately, you could say that even now. Hillary Will is in ninth place. Realistically, She's got no chance whatsover to score a championship this year. Why does her team continue to show up? (Besides the rookie chase.)

Under the current system, she's got a legitimate chance to make a top 5 finish for the season. Those numbers look impressive when worn on the car the following season. Under the new system, she'll be lumped together with the "losers" for the remainder of the season racing for the expense of it having no chance of improving her position while the "winners" battle out the top eight spots?
There will be benefits, I'm sure but I fear they won't outweigh the downside to those left outside? Just one opinion, however.

I guess either way we look at it, there are positives and negatives you can put a spin on. It will prevent runaway titles, which could be good. And there's a the rest of the stuff mentioned above.

It will be up to the sponsors. I'm not a big fan of this. If 9th place does not have a chance, then why change it? How will this make it better for the fan? Please explain what we gain from this?

This is a crappy move, IMO.

One of the reasons I dislike NASCAR is because of the "Chase for the championship" system they have. It's like they're saying the 1st half of the year doesn't mean sh*t.

Well I have a bad feeling by the end of next year, you will be seeing a lot of empty spots in the pits and also incomplete fields. :mad:

The only good thing is that this gives a chance for the drivers who previously had no shot a chance now.

My question is, will there still be a top 10?

Why didn't they just name it the Team Schumacher vs. Team Force King of the Mountain?

What a terrible idea. Way to go NHRA....alienate the smaller teams and independents even more.

I`m scratching my head over this one, I don`t really get why they have to make a change. Seemed to me the current points system was working just fine, but then again so was NASCARs. Like Doc said, what`s to prevent teams outside the top 8 even showing up for the final races?

Last edited:
Under the current system, she's got a legitimate chance to make a top 5 finish for the season. Those numbers look impressive when worn on the car the following season. Under the new system, she'll be lumped together with the "losers" for the remainder of the season racing for the expense of it having no chance of improving her position while the "winners" battle out the top eight spots?
There will be benefits, I'm sure but I fear they won't outweigh the downside to those left outside? Just one opinion, however.

Excellent point. While I honestly admit the format has been for the better in NASCAR, my gut reaction is that this is not a good move for drag racing. There are some serious differences and the most important one is that NASCAR entrants' car number has nothing to do with their performance.

Obviously, NHRA entrants are different and it has been a source of pride for many years. I hate to see it be diminshed.

As for the schedule change, I am overjoyed to see Gateway get a good date but I really feel for those who travel the circuit. Phoenix-Gainesville-Houston, Houston-Vegas-Atlanta, Brainerd-Reading-Indy, and Dallas-Richmond-Vegas are tough on crews and fuel budgets to boot.

??????

Maybe just maybe...someone ought to have asked some questions in NASCAR land before they followed them down this path. The majority of teams hate it...and it routinely draws the ire of many.

The problem with the scenario....and check with the folks in NASCAR land...teams have their sponsorships based on the races leading up to the cup. Some budgets get cut if they don't make it in into the Chase.

Why do teams work hard to get ahead of the pack during the first part of the season? With this philosophy, I could win all 17 races and it wouldn't mean didley squat at race 18 except for having my lead cut to 10 points. Then I could stumble in a "Race to the Four" event and my season could be screwed.

We've all heard that saying from our parents when we complained "but Johnny did it" and then our parents would respond...if Johnny jumped in a lake would you?

This is a prime case...Johnny jumped in the lake and we followed him.

If you want a tighter chase with more excitement....have a shorter schedule. Indy used to mean something...now its race 18 of 23.

Get the drift?

This really isn't all that surprising, as NHRA-style drag racing is less about competition and more about entertainment value ....and money. If competition was the most important factor, Gainesville Raceway would be getting refurbished Sportsman pits, instead of Sky Boxes. It is only a matter of time before the top ten in professional points have a guarenteed starting spot in the field of each race.

Please tell me that this is some late April fools joke.

This is horrible. I hate the nascar version of this and I hate it even more that we're just copycats. Now a guy can win 15 races and still not win the championship. It's like reality tv, its forced drama, its all staged now. Lets just script the thing from now on. In drag racing the champ is who does well ALL SEASON not for just a handful of races.

Plus do other drivers race at the last races? They shouldn't. In stick and ball sports teams that don't make the playoffs don't keep playing. You didn't see the Clippers and Hawks running up and donw the court while the Heat and Mavs were fighting the the nba title.
I actually think this will chase teams away. If after race 17 you're not in the top 8 why show up. Mine as well go race IHRA then as they would have no chance of moving up in the points (and therefore end of year money). I bet we'll see races towards the end of next year that will not have full fields.

I've never had a problem with the multi teams but now this will be all about them.

This is just sickening. I hope somebody comes to their senses and realizes how bad this is.

Ya know I think this is one of the first times I've been bummed to be a mod as I'd have to edit myself for saying how I really feel.

Where's that IHRA membership phone number?
I have to wonder will we look back on this date asa the day nhra drag racing died.
Good lord I hope this is just a terrible dream.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back