I Knew It Was Coming (1 Viewer)

If you are going rounds you get coverage! Ask JR Todd.

But will he get as much ink if he stops goin rounds?Heard anything of EE lately(Aaron would have liked me to say that)?But in a chase you will hear all about those that are struggling and those that are getting better or doing well.I must not be a big enough fan because i couldn't tell you who is in 5th in either class in points.But I bet I could name 3. and if they cover it well I bet I'd be able to know the 8 in each.Just gotta remember that there are a lot of fans like me who don't read too much and rely on the TV for info.I think it will make a Good SHOW and be good for 16 racers and sponsors a year.I still think they are screwing it up as a racer competetitor but if it were my business I'd probably like it.

That was 1 class Mike.Now it will be like that in all 3(yeah yeah bikes) every year = Good for the SHOW! And good for the sponsors.Don't tell me that the 8th place car gets pleanty ov tv or print coverage now.next year it will.and the #9 and on cars will still get the same low coverage they would have gotten with the current system.

I just wouldn't want to be a well funded owner who's car had a considerable points lead for most of the year because we earned it, then have to explain to the sponsor how we didn't win a championship because of NHRA's screwed up system that allowed someone who was number eight to grab it. Since any car tuned by any crewchief can smoke the tires in any given round, they might as well hand out raffle tickets for the championship at the finals. If I were an IHRA car owner, I'd be touting this little advantage to my sponsors, that the winner of a championship is the one who earned it.

EE proves my point, you go rounds you get ink.

#8 in each class right now is 300- 400 points out.How many rounds are they goin?Not much Ink either.NOW you have a sponsor who is gonna get Ink weather they go rounds or not because they are in the chase.It will be good for press.

"If I were an IHRA car owner, I'd be touting this little advantage to my sponsors, that the winner of a championship is the one who earned it."

An IHRA Champ will never see as much Ink (country wide) as would an NHRA champ.Heck # 2 in NHRA will get more INK than #1 in IHRA.It doesn't matter to the people spending the money how you became the champ but just the fact that you ARE the champ.And NHRA is a MUCH BIGGER pond.As crappy as NHRA TV is IHRA is way worse.What? Is it on on Tuesaday afternoons about 1 month behind?

Last edited:
And what if it is close comming to the chase between 8-10 you now have 2 more teams getting ink in the chase for the chase.

And what if it is close comming to the chase between 8-10 you now have 2 more teams getting ink in the chase for the chase.

and that makes it right?

basically what you are saying is that the sport has been corrupted yet a little more by money.

you all should read the interview with Dick LaHaie in NSSN this week. I wish I could remember the quote but it wasn't pretty. He can't stand what the suits are doing to drag racing. In a nutshell, that's what he said.

i think the countdown to 8 is a great idea. i think it will bring a LOT of excitement to the last few races.

on the other hand i think the countdown to 4 and 1 is absolutely insane. "8" would have worked just fine to make things closer at the end w/o making it so that you cant make one single mistake.

the flip side of all of this is that i believe the whole reason for this happening is because NHRA has fallen under so much scrutiny for not doing ANYTHING to help promote the sport. and i think that this is a poor response by them. the simple fact is that other types of racing like IRL have to pay for their tv exposure and they pay BIG to get a major network. if these NHRA execs would quit trying to pocket all of the sponsor money that comes into the NHRA and spend some of it on sport exposure, like major network tv time, then they might not be having to come up with crazy schemes as this one to take everyones attention off of the fact that they arent puting any (or much) money into it.

just my opinion

...... if these NHRA execs would quit trying to pocket all of the sponsor money that comes into the NHRA and spend some of it on sport exposure, like major network tv time, then they might not be having to come up with crazy schemes as this one to take everyones attention off of the fact that they arent puting any (or much) money into it.

just my opinion

THAT'S MY DAWG !! ....Amen Brother !!

The new poll on NHRA.com is pretty interesting, the question is which one of the big announcements at Indy is the most pleasant surprise to you. They list the Bernstein announcement, Jeg and Tom Hammonds return and the news of a second dragster for David Powers, however they did not list the new points structure as one of the choices. Maybe there's hope that they realize what a mistake this new points system would be. By the way compplus has some great quotes from WJ, Larry Morgan and Tony Schumacher regarding this situation.

and that makes it right?

basically what you are saying is that the sport has been corrupted yet a little more by money.

you all should read the interview with Dick LaHaie in NSSN this week. I wish I could remember the quote but it wasn't pretty. He can't stand what the suits are doing to drag racing. In a nutshell, that's what he said.

Guess you never read any of my other posts.I don't think it is the right way to prove a real Champion.But I do think it will be good for TV and the SHOW.Yes racing is corrupted by $$$$$$$$$$. Money is what PRO racing/sports is all about.

I'm sure that they will, and you may just be surprised at the answer. I have talked to a few of the racers and so far my count is six to one in favor of the new system.

Alan

we must have talked to different drivers. We only found 1 that liked it. A 2 that weren't sure yet and didn't want to comment and other that thought it sucked.

The new poll on NHRA.com is pretty interesting, the question is which one of the big announcements at Indy is the most pleasant surprise to you. They list the Bernstein announcement, Jeg and Tom Hammonds return and the news of a second dragster for David Powers, however they did not list the new points structure as one of the choices. Maybe there's hope that they realize what a mistake this new points system would be. By the way compplus has some great quotes from WJ, Larry Morgan and Tony Schumacher regarding this situation.

My dad talked to Compton in the pits, he asked if there was anyway that they would rethink this. As he hurried by all he said was no, its a done deal.

What made last year Funny car championship so great is that it was special.
If that happened every year it wouldn't be a big deal.

Persoanlly I hope this completely blows up in their faces. Either some driver just dominates all year then has trouble the last 2 races and loses the championship or even better. If one of the drivers has enough stones to do it. Driver A enters the final race leading under the new system however they'd only be 4th or 5th or whatever and they reuse to race the last race.

It'd be hard pressed to get that by a sponsor but I'd buy whatever they were selling then if they had that much integrity to not want a phony championship.

Also going into Indy only 1 of the 4 classes had an 8th place team with a winning record

Just say no to welfare racing

... he was mearly pointing out the truth, NHRA IS all about the all mighty dollar. It IS all about the top tier teams, and it's all about growing the fan base, period. ...
To the detriment of the sport and the teams that are not 'top tier'?

NHRA is not Nascar. There aren't 42 Top Fuel or Funny Car teams trying to qualify at each race. You start making it harder for the teams that aren't 'top tier' to get sufficient funding to run a competitive program and pretty soon you won't even have enough teams to fill the 16-car fields.

Ask the teams in Nascar that don't make 'the chase' and see what they say about what it does to their marketing programs!?!?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back