What's up Tom Compton's sleeve? A lot? Thanx for the clarification. (1 Viewer)

Shan

Nitro Member
From Zoomster.com interview of NHRA President, Tom Compton, March 2006

Q. Do you have any special plans to increase the popularity; is there a program to get to the level of NASCAR?
A. “I’m not going to tell you we are going to be as big as NASCAR. NASCAR is truly a phenomenon that may or may not be repeated, but I think the future for us is just beginning. I think we have a long way to go. We’re yet undiscovered in many areas. Many groups of people are not as aware of NHRA POWERade racing as we would like – to see the magnitude, the spectacle, and the fan access. Yes. We have a lot of things up our sleeves. There are some exciting announcements to be made. Hopefully we continue to grow. I think it’s one of the most exciting and unique forms of motorsports out there. I really do.”​

Well, hot damn! I don't know about anyone else, but that clears things up for me. :D
Let's see. Would that be a "no"? :rolleyes: :p

I think drag racing exposure expands due to fans and racers
bringing their 'newbie' friends to the races just as much or greater
than national marketing.

I think it would be interest to "experiment" and see how the sport would grow if drag racing sponsors used drag racing in their national advertising like they use their NASCAR/Open wheel teams. I'd like to see what would happen if the NHRA/ESPN pushed upcoming races during non NHRA broadcasts. I'm biased but I think drag racing is the best product in motorsports entertainment, but awareness needs to be built up among the non converted.

D

I think drag racing exposure expands due to fans and racers bringing their 'newbie' friends to the races just as much or greater
than national marketing.

That's one way it expands, but word doesn't expose people to the sport in anywhere near the numbers of people as through national marketing. Don't understimate the impact the individual teams PR people have in 'spreading the word' to the masses. Most recently DSR's Melanie Troxel on a CBS Sunday morning show and also the article in Sports Illustrated about Mel & Tommy Jr., among many other venues. Earlier, Brut's full page ads with Ron Capps in non-drag racing magazines.

In my opinion, one of the reasons NASCAR enjoys the high numbers is because you just don't have to know anything to watch a NASCAR race. Sure, knowing who's on what lap can get confusing, but basically the race is a bunch of cars on the track, driving in a counter clockwise circle for 3-4 hours for X amount of laps. The first one to get to the finish line in the final lap, is the winner. Period.

Drag racing, on the other hand, is best viewed with just a "little" bit of knowledge. For instance, what are 'eliminations'? Or, why, in some cases, the person who reaches the finish line first isn't the winner. Or, how someone can run faster, but still lose the race. Unless the first timer gets hooked by the sounds and smells of the sport, it's not likely they're going to be interested in getting to know the answers to these questions.

I'd love to see the sport grow. I believe it excels in many areas, driver accessability for one. However, be careful what you wish for, because it might come true. It looks like the pits are packed full of fans as it is. If the attendance figures were to double at each race, would fan accessability still be a viable part of the picture?

When and if NHRA ever steps up to the plate to promote the sport as it should be marketed, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
My girlfriend, who doesn't know much about anything, :rolleyes:
said to me the other day:
"I think nascar is better because you can clearly see who is winning and the action is non-stop. The cars you like are over in a few seconds."

I was "WTH??!!" :mad:

I took her to Pomona, yet she has never seen a nascar race. God love her, but I'm afraid her feeble little mind :D drew the same conclusion many do when it comes to auto racing.

I got re-married in 2004 and took my wife to her first drag race a couple of weeks ago. Until that event she new so little about the sport that she probably couldn't tell you the difference between a pro stock and a funny car. Truth is, she really hadn't expressed much interest in drag racing. But after attending the Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways I can tell you that's she's now hooked! She has watched NASCAR races with me in the past but now thinks that drag racing is MUCH more exciting that stock car racing. More importantly, she not only wants to return to Pacific Raceways next summer, she also wants to take a road trip to see the races at Sonoma or Pomona next year.

I'm not sure what the NHRA can do to grow the sport. But I do know that when people are exposed to the sights and sounds of a drag race the sport sellls itself. I also think that programs like Driving Force help as do drivers like Melanie Troxel or Erica Enders which potentially expose drag racing to a new audience. NASCAR is very good at marketing its' drivers, which is something that the NHRA should look also look at.

(by the way, as a side note, when I got home yesterday I was surprised to see that my wife had hung one of those 3"X5" NHRA banners in our house. I thought that was pretty cool - and a sure sign that she's gotten the addiction. :D )

My girlfriend, who doesn't know much about anything, :rolleyes:
said to me the other day:
"I think nascar is better because you can clearly see who is winning and the action is non-stop. The cars you like are over in a few seconds."

I took her to Pomona, yet she has never seen a nascar race. God love her, but I'm afraid her feeble little mind :D drew the same conclusion many do when it comes to auto racing.

Hope your girlfriend doesn't lurk at Nitromater. :eek:

(by the way, as a side note, when I got home yesterday I was surprised to see that my wife had hung one of those 3"X5" NHRA banners in our house. I thought that was pretty cool - and a sure sign that she's gotten the addiction. :D )

Yup, it's all over but the crying now, Rich. She's true-blue nitro addict. And as Martha Stewart would put it, That's a good thing! :D

I work next to a guy who basically thinks the same thing. He'll question the fact that the races are so short, and I just think, "Dude, you have no idea....".

Q. Do you have any special plans to increase the popularity; is there a program to get to the level of NASCAR?
A. “I’m not going to tell you we are going to be as big as NASCAR. NASCAR is truly a phenomenon that may or may not be repeated, but I think the future for us is just beginning. I think we have a long way to go. We’re yet undiscovered in many areas. Many groups of people are not as aware of NHRA POWERade racing as we would like – to see the magnitude, the spectacle, and the fan access. Yes. We have a lot of things up our sleeves. There are some exciting announcements to be made. Hopefully we continue to grow. I think it’s one of the most exciting and unique forms of motorsports out there. I really do.”​

Well, hot damn! I don't know about anyone else, but that clears things up for me. :D

What a crock of S%%%:rolleyes:

NHRA might want to try and get broadcasted on ABC for a few races to draw people to ESPN2. They are owned and operated by the same company this would help the sport.

Also not only NHRA, but the PR people and fans need to expose people to Drag racing every fan that gets hooked is a win for drag racing.

I have personally hooked a few people to the sport and they get there friends into it (just like myspace.com).

Wow! If the fan base would only multiply one-tenth of the rate that myspace does, NHRA would be set. That would be awesome!

Wow! If the fan base would only multiply one-tenth of the rate that myspace does, NHRA would be set. That would be awesome!

Yes it would but word of mouth is the cheapest way to advertise your brand, just more people have to be vocal about the sport and talk about it.

Tell people the cars go so fast they have to stop with a parachute that is what grabs most people that dont know about the sport grasp how fast these cars are going.

Hope your girlfriend doesn't lurk at Nitromater. :eek:
That's funny, Jackee!!

Yea Paul..be sure and share this thread with her..ya know..tell her this is where people with the same mindset gather..{{{
grinning-smiley-047.gif
}}}...

Jackee, those are my thoughts exactly. I couldn't add another word except maybe that for me, the more popular NASCAR has become the less I like it. Don't know why that is but I can't think of any auto racing series that bores me more............."HIP"

Jackee, those are my thoughts exactly. I couldn't add another word except maybe that for me, the more popular NASCAR has become the less I like it. Don't know why that is but I can't think of any auto racing series that bores me more............."HIP"

I know why I like NASCAR less these days, the average NASCAR fan doesn't know as much as I do about their "favorite" sport. Also NASCAR's growing popularity just focuses how after NHRA got their Winston money, they became fat dumb and happy while NASCAR continued to hustle.

D

Let me guess:
Tom's bringing his brother to the next race? I hope his brother drives.
Just kidding! Only kidding! Just a joke!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back