I Knew It Was Coming (2 Viewers)

The one reason I stopped paying attention to NASCAR. NHRA F'ed up bigtime... gotta see if I can get a refund on my membership :mad:

now to read through the whole tread

This is absolutely the most rediculous, bonehead, anti-racing, copycat, totally against the original concept of drag racing that I've ever seen Glenmoron come out with.

I hope like all he!! there is enough revolt from everyone involced with the sport that it gets changed back to the original format. Lord knows the NHRA has never listened to anything the fans or racers have said, so we're probably stuck with it.

Maybe it will make the IHRA fields bigger....

You all say it will chase the "little guys" away and teams outside the top 8. Why? Under the current points format, with around 4 races left anyone outside the top 5 for that matter should pack it up and quit too then because they don't have a shot at the title either.
I feel teams won't just up and quit when they are not part of the final 8 with the new rules. They come to the races to win that particular race not secure a spot in the final 8 if they know they don't have a realistic shot at it, especially the teams that know deep down they can't compete with the big boys. They are there to race because either someone pays them too or they truly love the sport and could care less where they finish in the points.
As an example, Tim Wilkerson is out of the top 10 in points yet comes to every race. He could just as well pack it in after Indy because he is not going to win the championship this year. He comes out to win races and enjoy doing what he does. The new points structure isn't going to change his views or his race schedule, IMHO!

Don't get me wrong, I think it is stupid to penalize a team that outperforms everyone all year, but then with a handful of races left the NHRA is going to allow the others in the back of the pack to catch up.

As long as you've got a shot at making the top Ten, it's worth Racing, or setting up for next year, but with no chance of finishing in the Big Money, there are other places to race...

As long as you've got a shot at making the top Ten, it's worth Racing, or setting up for next year, but with no chance of finishing in the Big Money, there are other places to race...

I think you maybe closer to reality than you think. We all know that what we think and what the racers think makes no difference to NHRA. Not a blast but proven over and over again. However what will get their attention is that little something NHRA dragracers have over the other series and that is.......They have someplace ELSE to go. From what I have heard about upcoming changes to IHRA and the new people involved, more and more people are going to take a second look at racing over there. If this does happen, that is what is going to get glendora's attention.

jim

Personally I think it will be awesome.............

Think about it, every year there are at least 2 classes that are a one horse race, that really gets boring to watch at the end of the year knowing that no one can catch them..........

Think about it, when was the last time you've seen 8 cars in contention in any class with only 6 races left?

Think about it, how cool was it to watch the funny car class go down to the final Sunday of the season to decide the Champion..............

Think about it, you will now have 4 classes going down to the final Sunday of the season to decide 4 Champions.............

Think about it, 2 years ago when Skuza and Corradi went on a tear, winning more rounds in the last 6 races of the season than any other team, they could have won a Championship.............:D

Last edited:

Think about it, every year there are at least 2 classes that are a one horse race, that really gets boring to watch at the end of the year knowing that no one can catch them..........

Think about it, when was the last time you've seen 8 cars in contention in any class with only 6 races left?

Think about it, how cool was it to watch the funny car class go down to the final Sunday of the season to decide the Champion..............

Think about it, you will now have 4 classes going down to the final Sunday of the season to decide 4 Champions.............

Think about it, 2 years ago when Skuza and Corradi went on a tear, winning more rounds in the last 6 races of the season than any other team, they could have won a Championship.............:D

I agree with you. This new format will add excitement to the sport. It is evident that some people are having a hard time coping with this change, but give it a chance before you come to judgement that it is not going to work. If a team is truly dominant, this should not have an impact on the final outcome of the championship. Look at how Tony Schumacher performed at the end of last year, he would be the champion in either format.

Think about it, Tony Shoe could win the first 17 races of the year and then have a mechanical bug happen to the car and lose in the first round the rest of the races and lose the championship. Or hell, even if he just went semi's the whole rest of the year but so and so 8th in pts actually wins 2 or 3 races and earns more pts over 6,7 races. Just think, then we would have a "champion" who didnt deserve it. Yeah thats awesome!
Do you really think that Scuza should be the champ b/c he went on a tear late in the season? I like him, but he aint no champion.
(I have no doubt it will be more exciting to watch, but I still think it sucks)

Could this idea produce results similar to the cancellation of Pro Stock Trucks?

Mr. Knoll may shortly purchase 25% of IHRA's stock and, if it's true that "You can't fix Stupid" (a t-shirt we are now seriously considering sending to print) we may finally see the downfall of Wally's work.

A crystal ball looking 10 years out could easily show that an organization owned and operated by racer/businessmen such as IHRA could out grow one run by Compton-types with decisions like the new points deal being sprung on the organization like the Pro Truck cancellation. Could this be worse?

What I think of this doesn't matter

What is funny to me however is that to think of how I was lambasted for broaching the subject of {shudder} changing the length of the racing surface for the nitro classes. I was smashed and ridiculed for the very thought of messing with a sacred tradition of 1/4 mile racing. Just think of the play the chaging of the points sytem will get!

Well I have spent most of the morning reading the posts here and all of the commentary on the many other site out there.

I have to say that from a fan standpoint the overall "Chase" type setup looks good. The first part of the season will come to a climax in Maple Grove as teams try their best to get into the top 8 in points. Sounds like fun.

Past that point I can't say I understand the need to have further checkpoints if you will in the road to the championship. All I can see is that it will create confusion for all but the diehard followers of the sport. From the casual/occasional viewer it will be a mattter of "well is this chase between all of the teams or is it just 2 racers, or 8 or.......wait a minute whats going on here".

Take the top 8, level the points and have a shootout for the championship during the remaining races. At least at that point in the season a team can have an off day and not automaticlly be out of the championship picture.

Chris

The bottom line is that the championships in the current format are normally (NOT ALWAYS) determined well before the end of the season (i.e. Greg Anderson in the past few years). How interesting is Pro Stock for the Vegas & Pomona fans with nothing on the line. Most years Force had FC locked up pretty early, and Top Fuel rarely has more than two cars battling with a realistic chance. Who cares if it's somewhat a copy of Nascar. As of this moment (with 6 races left) 4 Top Fuelers have a chance (with 1 of the 4 fading fast), 4 FC (with 2 more than 8 rounds behind), and 3 PS cars (with 1 about 8 rounds back). The new format in my mind adds alot of importance to the WHOLE schedule. John Asher makes some good points, but in NHRA racing you will get coverage if you go rounds (NO MATTER where you are in the points), and sponsors will be satisfied. Look at the top 8 right now in the 4 pro classes. They are ALL top quality cars capable of getting hot, and winning the title. I don't agree with NHRA brass too often, but at least they are trying something.

Nope it adds importance to 6 races. What is the win loss record of the guys in 5th -8 in the pro classes. The begining of the season no longer matters for squat. It's like in baseball do we consider whoever gets hot over a six week stretch the batting champ? Home run champ?

I don't think anything needed to be changed but if they were dead set on screwing it up there were better ways then this.

Think about it, Tony Shoe could win the first 17 races of the year and then have a mechanical bug happen to the car and lose in the first round the rest of the races and lose the championship. Or hell, even if he just went semi's the whole rest of the year but so and so 8th in pts actually wins 2 or 3 races and earns more pts over 6,7 races. Just think, then we would have a "champion" who didnt deserve it. Yeah thats awesome!.............................
So in this sense of thinking, last year the Indy Colts should have been the Superbowl Champions, no way in hell the Pittsburg Steelers deserved to be, even though they brought their game when it counted!:eek:

NHRA is one of the last Mojor Sports to NOT have a play off system.

Last edited:
What's next, 'Buy Backs' after the first round for the Pro's? That would really make it exciting for the points chase.

Could this idea produce results similar to the cancellation of Pro Stock Trucks?

Mr. Knoll may shortly purchase 25% of IHRA's stock and, if it's true that "You can't fix Stupid" (a t-shirt we are now seriously considering sending to print) we may finally see the downfall of Wally's work.

A crystal ball looking 10 years out could easily show that an organization owned and operated by racer/businessmen such as IHRA could out grow one run by Compton-types with decisions like the new points deal being sprung on the organization like the Pro Truck cancellation. Could this be worse?

If it goes to print Bob I will buy one! :D

(I have no doubt it will be more exciting to watch, but I still think it sucks)
And that right there sums it up. There are not nearly enough die hard drag race fans to allow for NHRA to grow at a rate that would allow them to get the TV contract needed to draw bigger $$$ from sponsors and allow for $1,000,000 purses. Having an even that is exciting to watch will draw more casual fans, which is the ultimate goal. Die hards will watch no matter what, it's the casual fans that will bring the big score if their attention can be captured.

Nascar can afford to pay huge purses because they have a billion dollar TV package. If NHRA even got a no charge TV package, that would free up about $8,000,000 in TV expense that could be spend on purses. Imagine the difference if a network actually paid NHRA to televise their events. This move will certainly make the guys at Glendora either heros or zeros.

Doc, this is the typical response on the board, one through the eye's of the racer. Very few opinions on this board will come from the eyes of the fans. As stated earlier, all of NHRA's decisions are about money and that's it.That is 100% true. NHRA has one main client, Drag Racing Fans, not the racers. From a fan's point of view, Pro Stock Trucks were boring, it was a great decision to cut them, not in the manner that they went about it, but cutting them was the right decision.

IHRA events are catered to the racers more than the fans. IHRA events don't even hold a candle to an NHRA event from a fan's point of view. NHRA races are so much more professional in presentation, and they run like clockwork. At IHRA events fans spend half their day waiting on track clean ups. It's like going to a Major League event vs. a Local Sports event. True the price of admission may be cheaper, but I think I would rather pay the difference and see the real deal. Catering to the racers might make the racers happy, but it won't grow the business of Drag Racing.

From a fan's point of view this "Playoff System" will add much more entertainment to the season's end. It will also gain in media attention and add new fans..................that is also in that "crystal ball".

I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone else's on what has been written, just explaining it from a different perspective.........

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back